START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Rotor Blades

Rotor Blades R/C Helicopter Rotor Blade Discussions

Old 08-01-2016, 01:55 PM   #1
3D Dave
Registered Users

Arrow VTX Premium Rotorblades

So for those that haven't heard, Mikado has introduced VTX premium main blades in 717mm and 697mm sizes with more to come.

There are a few reviews floating around and from all reports so far, these are the next step in heli blade technology. They look like no other blade you've ever seen and are being manufactured by Fun-Key.

I will not go into specifics here as you can read the reports of those that have flown (and will fly) them. Let's just say you will gain either performance or flight time compared to your current blades.

They will be out for the public to see & try at IRCHA this week.

No, I am not a rep for Mikado or VTX/Fun-Key (maybe I should be).

Just sharing the excitement that is going to throw the blade world for a loop.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:01 AM   #2
prototype3a
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have two pair of the 697s and flew at both 1750 and 1200rpm. They are absolutely phenomenal to fly.

They're almost as quick as Helix but I dare say they are quieter and seem much more stable at high speed.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:33 AM   #3
Kiba
Registered Users

2 sets of 717's arrived last week... but I won't have time to fly them until this weekend. Looking forward to trying them!
Jeti DC-16
Kiba is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:31 PM   #4
Johnny31297
Registered Users

Read my... You know
Johnny31297 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:56 PM   #5
Kiba
Registered Users

A copy/paste of what I wrote over in the rotor blades subforum...

Got a couple of flights in yesterday with the 717's on my Diabolo.

On my Diabolo I've flown Rail 716s almost full time but did try Cyclones 715s for a bit. Rails have been my favorite "all around" blade for a while; quiet, smooth, and predictable over a variety of flying styles and headspeed ranges. Liked the Cyclones at higher headspeeds but did not care for them at low headspeeds.

On Saturday I did a few flights with my current Rail 716s and then swapped over the Vortex 717s. Left everything the same-- headspeed, collective pitch, cyclic pitch, FBL controller settings, etc. Just swapped blades and flew again.

Impressions: Nice and quiet in normal flying, very similar to Rails. The Vortex blades have a bit of that "wisp" sound to them around 0 degrees like Cyclone blades have but nowhere near as loud as Cyclones. The Vortex feel very smooth and predictable in both cyclic and collective, similar to the Rails. However, the Vortex blades definitely have more "bite" and based on performance the heli felt like it was running 75-100rpm more headspeed with no other changes-- it was far more responsive in both collective and cyclic than the Rails at identical headspeed. The extra "bite" was linear, not at all unexpectedly "grabby" or bobble-inducing as I had seen with Cyclones (especially with the Cyclones at lower headspeeds.) Low headspeed (1425 rpm) performance of the Vortex blades is impressive, as is hang time in autos. Stability in full pitch FFF at both 1425rpm and 1900rpm is excellent with no "pitchy" behavior, nice straight and smooth tracking.

Compared to the Cyclone 715s that I briefly tried the Vortex are much more "linear" feeling especially at lower headspeeds. With the Cyclones at low headspeeds when doing rainbows, tictocs, reversals, etc, the heli would flounder and "bobble" for a moment seemingly stalling and loading up at the transition/reversal point before finally reversing directions; no such behavior with the Vortex blades. Of course more headspeed fixed that behavior with the Cyclone blades but at the expense of flight time. Don't have to make that compromise with the Vortex, they work very well over my set headspeed range (1425-1900.)

Flight time to 75% pack consumption between the Vortex and Rails at the same headspeed was nearly identical, within 10 seconds +/- on each of the flights. If I dropped the headspeed with the Vortex blades to match the performance I was getting with the Rails the flight time would obviously increase-- but I'm more than happy with increased performance at the same headspeeds while returning the same flight time. Those running high headspeed with a lot of pitch on their current blades might want to back things off for the first couple of flights until checking the logs as the wide chord of the Vortex blades is capable of putting a bunch more load on the drivetrain.

Need to try the other set of 717s on my turbine next-- since that heli is heavy it will benefit from the extra lift at the same headspeed compared to the Rail 716s.

This week after a few more flights I'll probably play with dropping the headspeed and picking up more flight time. I didn't see any odd flight behaviors or shakes that would necessitate a change in my FBL settings compared to the previous Rail 716 blades, but I may fiddle with FBL settings as well.

Need to get some more flights in but so far I'm very impressed with the 717s.
Jeti DC-16

Last edited by Kiba; 08-08-2016 at 06:33 PM..
Kiba is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:27 AM   #6
FreerideDD
Registered Users

FreerideDD is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:20 PM   #7
dominator
Registered Users

Default my review

Just got back from flying the VTX 697. First impression is great! I really like them. The CG is closer to the root of the blade more than any other blade ive ever measured. My set weighed 201 grams on one blade and 202 grams on the other blade. I flew them on 6s low heaspeed of 1000rpm, 12s 1950rpm, and on a nitro 1950 rpm.

How do they fly? Cyclic response is insane! Really fast but not unstable. It really makes the heli follow exactly what you do with the sticks. I expected them to be more unstable during FFF because of the CG being really close to the blade root but to my surprise they are nice and stable.

The collective response is a little better than the average blade but they didnt really make me say wow on collective. I kind of expected more out of collective because of how wide they are near the tips but they are not lacking by any means.

Autos. They are very easy to auto and have plenty of float at the bottom.

Noise/ efficiency. I swapped out helix and ms composite rapids and the vtx back to back today for multiple flights. The Vtx are easily the most quiet out of the three.

Overall I really like them and would buy another set. Ill restate that the cyclic response is unmatched. Most blades will bog a nitro motor when you turn up the cyclic rates but not the VTX blades. You can really tell VTX did their homework on these. Just by picking them up and looking down the surface you can see multiple different airfoil sections, chords, and thickness.

Complaints. The blades did show up with a little paint chip on one of the tips and some less than perfect finish on some sections and the weight was off by 1g and CG was also about 2mm difference between blades. I almost feel like the blade with the imperfections should have been a B surface blade. Ive bought B surface rail blades that didnt even look like something was wrong. I dont really care about the cosmetic stuff because it doesnt affect flight but the CG and weight being a little off kinda bothered me only because these blades cost a premium price so I expected them to be perfect. Ive bought many other brands of funkey blades that were spot on with cg and weight so not sure what happened with this set. I was able to see the imbalance in flight as well during a hover. If they didnt fly so dang good I would send them back... but ill just balance them with tape and move on. Pics of imperfections

dominator is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:34 PM   #8
UCPharmD
Registered Users

Got my 717s today. Can't wait to fly them. Finish is eh for 160 bucks.

I also had some finish/paint issues. One blade is flawless, the other looks like it had some less experienced hands. It's all under the clear coat though.

Stray paint, spots, couple dimples in the surface. Nothin likely to affect flight.

Still excited to fly them.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:33 PM   #9
Relisys190
Registered Users

I want to try a set, but wish they had some 660's for me to try. I don't think my hkII 4225-610, 120HV and 4000mah packs will stand up to 700 size blades.

-Markus
* G660c IKON * T-rex 500 *308DUO *450x #429
Relisys190 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:16 PM   #10
Knnytro
Registered Users

I was also surprised that the finish was not perfect. On the tip of one blade there is something irregular, very visible in reality not so much in the photograph
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0460.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	671887
Knnytro is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:42 PM   #11
Xrayted
Registered Users

I had the chance to swap my Rail 716s over to the VTX 697 this weekend, and unlike others, I had to drastically reduce the cyclic gain on my FBL controller.

I love the way they fly but immediately noticed a bobble on the elevator axis in hover at my lowest 1700 RPM setting that has never been there using either Radix or Rail blades shorter or longer versions.

This bobble increased drastically as my RPM increased to 2000 and finally 2100 in IU1 and 2, and especially when doing FFF speed runs. Higher the RPM and faster straight line flying, the more the oscillations.

At first I thought it was high speed induced tail wag based on the sound, until I noticed it was actually a very fast elevator porpoise that was occurring.

I loosened the blade bolts just a bit just and also started slowly lowering my cyclic gain over several successive flights on my Skookum unit from 60 where it has been for years. By the end of my flight day Im down to a gain of 45 and I thinks I still need to drop just a tad lower.

I'll be fine if all still works well, but Im a little uneasy having to drop my head gain down that much and worry I will eventually start to get ill effects from the gain being too low, but I need some more time and flights to know for sure.

I've flown many different blades and sizes on this model over the last three years, and haven't ever encountered a set that required a complete re-tune such as this beofre, but I know its to be expected sometimes.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:45 PM   #12
darknight736
Registered Users

receive a set of vtx 697 for my trex 700n finish not perfect similar what post previously, but love the feel compare to the stock align 690.feel like 1 degree more pitch and 1,5 degree more cyclic. for the price no happy with the finish but fly so good hope they will release soon 800 size
Old 11-11-2016, 02:47 PM   #13
Solmanbandit
Registered Users

Quote:
I had the chance to swap my Rail 716s over to the VTX 697 this weekend, and unlike others, I had to drastically reduce the cyclic gain on my FBL controller.
I ran into the same problem with my trex 700E. I only borrowed a set of blades but when I get mine, I will have to do the same on my Trex 700E with the Ikon
Old 11-12-2016, 11:58 AM   #14
Johnny31297
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
Unlike others? That's expected and what pretty much everyone experiences
Johnny31297 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:53 PM   #15
TSK UK
Registered Users

Talking 717s

Mine arrived , but the weather too wet at the moment
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	681260  
TSK UK is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:59 PM   #16
Andydice
Registered Users

I'm anxiously awaiting mine now, just ordered today from Amain. They're running a good sale atm.
Andydice is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:48 PM   #17
Solmanbandit
Registered Users

I was going to order a set, but can't now. I have too many other obligations that have popped up.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:33 AM   #18
dbirds2
Registered Users

Uve been flying the 697s for bout 250 flights now. When i first got them, they were great with alot of bang. They r a good blade for banging. However after some time there was something about the blade i couldnt figure out. Some weird tenddncies for fast big air flying. I put a set of switch xf blades on and those weird tendemcies went away. I will try them again at some point but the vtx blades r good but wouldnt justify paying the 160 dollar premium price for them again.
dbirds2 is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 10:11 AM   #19
Solmanbandit
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbirds2 View Post
However after some time there was something about the blade i couldnt figure out. Some weird tenddncies for fast big air flying. I put a set of switch xf blades on and those weird tendemcies went away. I will try them again at some point but the vtx blades r good but wouldnt justify paying the 160 dollar premium price for them again.
I know when I tested the VTX blades on my 700, I realized that I would have to make some adjustments like lowering the gain. You may need to make a few minor adjustments to make them feel right for you.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:00 PM   #20
dbirds2
Registered Users

I just couldnt tune out the weirdness. Great blade for tight in a bix smack but i didnt like em on fast big air flying. I have talked to a few peeps who didnt like the feel of the 697s and with chance they got some 717s and loce em. Seems to me they r a great blade on larger 700 helis like protos v2 or agile 7.2 and from the looks the new logo looks big. I got a smaller goblin 700.not the biggest 700 thats for sure.
dbirds2 is online now        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Rotor Blades

Rotor Blades R/C Helicopter Rotor Blade Discussions