Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Avant RC - Mostro & Aurora

Avant RC - Mostro & Aurora Avant Mostro, Aurora, Electric eAurora, RigidCore Flybarless Head, Avant EFX and Avant FX Helicopter Support

Old 08-20-2016, 05:59 PM   #1
JesusFreak
Registered Users

Default Sad in Avant land

Anyone selling a electric Mostro kit/built/parts, please get in touch with me.

Was really hoping they would make a comeback.
JesusFreak is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:40 PM   #2
gunny_jeeves
Registered Users

What is up?

I was hoping they would make a comeback too...

But I would really want to know what happened if you know.
gunny_jeeves is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:08 AM   #3
DIPswitch
Registered Users

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=755405

Sent from my finger using Tapatalk
DIPswitch is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:32 PM   #4
gunny_jeeves
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIPswitch View Post
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=755405

Sent from my finger using Tapatalk
I saw that one... Sadly it's over twice what I'd expect for a frame only... Kudos that it is complete though. One crash and you're basically swapping out for G700 parts, custom built parts, or just plain screwed.

I meant that it sounded like someone knew something more specific about Avant. (The company or the person...)
gunny_jeeves is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:50 PM   #5
JesusFreak
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

What I know is what is pretty much been rumored.

The owner fell on hard times (perhaps health related).
Left quite a few people hanging.
Is mostly unreachable.
I do know Carbon Xtreme is a COMPLETELY separate entity. They had a close relationship obviously, but they are hurting from the circumstances like others involved. So do not take any ire out on them, it is not warranted.

I think the company designs could be purchased, but with the state of the hobby, it is unlikely. From a business standpoint, it's a difficult proposition.

I wish it were not so.
JesusFreak is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:51 PM   #6
Rexdestroyer
Registered Users

I'm going to be selling my Mostro E as well as my Aurora E and Aurora Nitro air frames very soon.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:08 PM   #7
Ah Clem
Registered Users

I keep wondering why someone does not start a company that manufactures the designs of companies who have gone by the wayside (with proper licencing of course).

Going back to the old Fusion 50, which had a few mechanical issues (which could be corrected) but flew great. The Avant machines could be done, etc.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:30 PM   #8
Mercuriell
HF Support

Thats pretty well whats happened with MA models Richard. Its a money pit though with zero chances of making money in the present market. Thing is helis were a fad, many companies came in on the crest of the wave and we all had a great time, important now that we support the few that remain. Maybe theres room for a parts comany that can 3d scan ,components and then CNC cut them
Old 08-23-2016, 05:34 PM   #9
Ah Clem
Registered Users

You are a wise man, John.

I am sure that you are right about this-there is no market left to support any of this.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:00 PM   #10
Triple-D TJ
Registered Users

i know a guy with a nitro airframe and spares.. He may be interested in selling.. PM me for info if youre interested.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:06 PM   #11
Triple-D TJ
Registered Users

I did see a guy selling an electric either on facebook or here on HF.. Selling for a friend I believe..
Old 08-23-2016, 10:14 PM   #12
Epoweredrc
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple-D TJ View Post
I did see a guy selling an electric either on facebook or here on HF.. Selling for a friend I believe..
yeah Danny Dugger is i done showed it to Gunny said he not interested so maybe this help the OP out... I met Danny at the Botos Ranch a few months back him and his wife both seem like really great folks.

http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=755405

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:32 AM   #13
hotstart
Registered Users

Default Business

Extremely small customer base .Fairly high priced item .Too many hands in the pot .All recipes for failure in a small niche market unfortunately. Just look around MA , DT .Avant ,Ely Q .TT etc all gone Profit just not there evidenctly .Maybe with the downsizing of manufacturing the survivors will be able to continue We can hope
Old 08-25-2016, 12:01 PM   #14
Ah Clem
Registered Users

I am still questioning whether to get my Avant flying. It is complete. It used to belong to one of the former Avant Team Pilots (who is a good friend and an excellent pilot), who flies everything really hard.

For the time being it sits.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:16 PM   #15
gr8t1dini
Registered Users

What I don't get is, Augusto is one man. You're telling me that if something ever happened to him(which it looks like it has and I hope he's getting better) the company couldn't operate?! Who sets up a company to run that way? Why couldn't the operations manager, plant manager and etc keep things going? Surely he wasn't everything. He has(had) another business making electronic parts for the US government. He told me this when I first met him years ago. So now many of us are left hanging! Not just for the Mostro but for the Aurora as well! I've been an Avant RC supporter from the beginning, I was one of the first to convert my X-spec over to the Avant Fx, then purchased the adjustable head when that came out, then purchased the Aurora, then the FBL head for that heli, purchased an "updated" Aurora with FBL head then finally the Mostro. To say I believed in this company is an understatement! My Mostro is pretty much worthless. At least with my MA helis there's someone making parts for them. If I decided to buy another heli I'm going to look real hard at what they have to offer! An N5 maybe next year or so.
The profit WAS there, it was driven out buy cheaper quality helis everyone flocked to that then high end 50 size heli that people would put the electronics of a 90 in it! No way a beginner could afford that. Radios no longer came with servos, only TX and RX. We pretty much killed the hobby.

Last edited by gr8t1dini; 08-26-2016 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: added
gr8t1dini is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:58 PM   #16
darren f
Registered Users

Cant believe you guys are still going on about augusto and what happened to avant,who ****ing cares he ****ed all of us and that is the bottom line, get over it.He is probably sitting on some beach somewhere with all our money laughing his head off.Avant is dead,live with it
darren f is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:34 PM   #17
Mercuriell
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren f View Post
Cant believe you guys are still going on about augusto and what happened to avant,who ****ing cares he ****ed all of us and that is the bottom line, get over it.He is probably sitting on some beach somewhere with all our money laughing his head off.Avant is dead,live with it
That I can't believe! Behind every fallen business are tales of personal tragedy. Whilst consumers lose their spare parts, business owners often lose their health, their marriage and often their life's work. No one being ****ed over here! I do know that Augusto did a lot for for some of the local SoCal clubs and also contributed substantially to the growth and running of HF - so don't kick a man when he's down or when he chooses not to make his own personal disasters public.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:54 PM   #18
darren f
Registered Users

I admire your optimism but surely someone be it a family member or friend/work associate would at least be able to give some information as to what has happened,but nothing.Its as if he has disappeared off the face of the planet and taken peoples money with him.
darren f is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:09 PM   #19
Mercuriell
HF Support

Some folks value their privacy and don't want their problems all splashed over social media - they also have a lot of pride in their work - I only met Augusto once and I would guess he falls into that category. I know Will James thought highly of him and that's good enough for me!
Old 08-29-2016, 01:23 AM   #20
TheKingPhisher
Registered Users

All of the aluminum parts on the Mostro are easy to reverse model with the right equipment. Hell I could do it myself if I had free access to a CMM...no need for a 3D scanner since the parts aren't 3D machined. They all use basic geometric shapes. Heck I could even reverse model the monoblock using some basic inspection tools like a micrometer and various gages.

All of the carbon pieces are easy to duplicate as well. There are many places advertised right here on the forum that will cut carbon fiber into whatever shape you desire for a fee. They'll even duplicate your existing carbon fiber frame parts if you send in the original parts for dimensioning.

Then you have the canopy which I believe there's already an aftermarket manufacturer that sells them. The boom is easy to source as it's just a standard hollow carbon tube.

The most difficult part to duplicate are probably the helical gears as they use a custom angle, pitch and profile? Also I recall the original CNC helical gears use a self lubricating material and not standard Delrin...not that Delrin can't be used in its place. The Goblins have optional Delrin helical gears available as upgrades.

I think at the end of the day, even if all of the Mostro parts could be made by somebody, is there big enough of a market to make it worthwhile?

Maybe setup a crowd funding page for parts and see if anyone is willing to take on the reverse modeling and manufacturing duties?
TheKingPhisher is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Avant RC - Mostro & Aurora

Avant RC - Mostro & Aurora Avant Mostro, Aurora, Electric eAurora, RigidCore Flybarless Head, Avant EFX and Avant FX Helicopter Support