Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Old 11-15-2016, 01:14 AM   #21
MyRCode
Registered Users

If it's like the Android version, it syncs to Dropbox. I don't think it does it automatically though so you'll need to push / pull data from Dropbox

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
FrSky Horus
MyRCode is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:22 AM   #22
Coco66
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTAnimal View Post
I bought your IOS version today. My phone and IPad are linked so it loaded on both. After I input some models and batteries on my phone, I looked at my IPad and the models did not go onto the IPad. I would use my phone for everything anyway so I guess I don't need it on my IPad, just wondering if I was doing something wrong.
I am not an iOS guy... do many apps for Apple work like that? Automatically synchronising data across devices without the need of any "account" so that the devices refer to the same "user"?
Old 11-15-2016, 04:58 AM   #23
DrSteve
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTAnimal View Post
I bought your IOS version today. My phone and IPad are linked so it loaded on both. After I input some models and batteries on my phone, I looked at my IPad and the models did not go onto the IPad. I would use my phone for everything anyway so I guess I don't need it on my IPad, just wondering if I was doing something wrong.
Hi. Thanks for purchasing the app.

The app is designed to work on iOS and Android so I needed to use a solution that is platform independent. In this case I used Dropbox.

If you don't already have one, simply create a free Dropbox account, log onto the account on both devices (you should only need to do this once on each) and you can synchronize by uploading on one and downloading on the other.

I will add the idea of sharing the data between iOS devices, but this obviously won't be available on Android.

Cheers,
Stephen
RCHN #280
Goblin 700
Align T-Rex 600EFL Pro, 550E DFC and 500 PRO DFC
Blade mCPX and mSR. Spektrum DX9
RC Flight and Battery Log App
DrSteve is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:41 AM   #24
Dansy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco66 View Post
I am not an iOS guy... do many apps for Apple work like that? Automatically synchronising data across devices without the need of any "account" so that the devices refer to the same "user"?
This the only apps that doesn't sync automatically, they are normally all sync under the same apple account....not sure I like the Dropbox solution it's seem to be a 1999 solution....but will try it for a while, the sync takes a while and I only have a few of my models in there...I think in the long run it will cause me to loose data....not remembering which iPad/iPhone is up to date or not...
Revolectrix/MeanWell PS, DPL8, PL8, 2x XP10 and Bump Contr.
Dansy is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:23 AM   #25
CZorzella
Registered Users

Default RC Flight & Battery Logging app

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansy View Post
This the only apps that doesn't sync automatically, they are normally all sync under the same apple account....not sure I like the Dropbox solution it's seem to be a 1999 solution....but will try it for a while, the sync takes a while and I only have a few of my models in there...I think in the long run it will cause me to loose data....not remembering which iPad/iPhone is up to date or not...

I don't see that way.

Apple native apps use iCloud as standard to synchronize data. While other apps may or may not use iCloud for that, Dropbox became de facto standard as it allows perfect cross plataform integration of mobiles and your desktop no matter which operating system you use.

Carlos
CZorzella is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:17 PM   #26
JTAnimal
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have other apps that do sync automatically, so that's why I asked. Don't really think I need it on my I pad so I'm ok with it. I only have my phone when I go fly, but it is easier to input the modes on the iPad. I have used drop box in the past, but I don't think I want to go through the trouble for a small matter. Thanks
JTAnimal is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:35 PM   #27
joelr
Registered Users

Trying out the iOS version, looking for a replacement for that other app that ended support.

Couple of initial requests:
Date/time stamp on data versions when doing a backup or restore so we know which is the most recent version.

Ability to flag maintenance items as complete-so I can enter needed items as I discover them and later mark them as done. Really just a simple to-do list.

Keep up the good work!
joelr is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:27 PM   #28
AndyO
Registered Users

Downloaded this earlier, updated with my flight and battery history and looking forward to keeping it up to date from now on, nice one!
AndyO is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:22 AM   #29
Coco66
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZorzella View Post
I don't see that way.

Apple native apps use iCloud as standard to synchronize data. While other apps may or may not use iCloud for that, Dropbox became de facto standard as it allows perfect cross plataform integration of mobiles and your desktop no matter which operating system you use.

Carlos
Just put that into practice yesterday: now i have this App on both my Android phone and the iPad, and syncronization works like a charm (although a bit slow, but it should be the pictures).

As joelr suggested, timestamp of local db and Dropbox db would help not to mix up the backup / restore.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:11 AM   #30
DrSteve
Registered Users

Thanks guys for the feedback. I'm taking all ideas on board .

iCloud sync looks doable, but it will take a lot of testing! Slightly concerned if you want to use the app and it cannot sync the data - maybe just lock from entering anything new, or just a warning to the user???

Date/time for last Dropbox sync and what's on the device should also be possible.

Cheers,
Stephen
RCHN #280
Goblin 700
Old 11-16-2016, 02:32 PM   #31
btheli
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Also take a look at how Evernote handles this. Works well in my opinion. Notes are stored in the cloud and locally, so you're not stuck if no internet connection.
MSH Prôtos Max V2 ● Gaui X7/X3 ● SAB Goblin 570 ● Spirit FBL ● Taranis ● RCHN #631
btheli is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:39 AM   #32
DrSteve
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by btheli View Post
Also take a look at how Evernote handles this. Works well in my opinion. Notes are stored in the cloud and locally, so you're not stuck if no internet connection.
Here's my issue with using the iCloud type method:

So both devices are in sync, and you decide to make some changes in the app on your iPad before leaving home. These changes are sync'd to the iCloud - no problem. But not to the phone yet.

You get to the field, where there is no signal, and you want to log some flights, BUT your files are out of date. So now you have a phone with some extra log entries in out of date files.

You now get signal on your phone, and it wants to sync everything up. Do you lose the changes you made on the iPad and keep whats on the phone, or lose the flights you've added at the field?

Leaving it up to the user to manually perform the backup/restore, then makes it the users responsibility not mine. I'm in this as a hobby, I'm not going to make enough money to live on. So I don't want to get moaned at because people lose data.

I will definitely investigate adding iCloud syncing, but just wanted to air my concerns.

Thanks.
RCHN #280
Goblin 700
Old 11-17-2016, 04:36 AM   #33
TSK UK
Registered Users

Thumbs up

looks like I can dump my old iphone3 that runs my RClog app that stopped working after IOS 7 grr

Glad to see an IOS App.

You should post this to the BMFA FB group, Chris would be ok with that.

Good luck with the sales

Just going to buy now, where is my discount code, LOL
TSK UK is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:04 AM   #34
Coco66
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSteve View Post

So both devices are in sync, and you decide to make some changes in the app on your iPad before leaving home. These changes are sync'd to the iCloud - no problem. But not to the phone yet.

You get to the field, where there is no signal, and you want to log some flights, BUT your files are out of date. So now you have a phone with some extra log entries in out of date files.

You now get signal on your phone, and it wants to sync everything up. Do you lose the changes you made on the iPad and keep whats on the phone, or lose the flights you've added at the field?

Leaving it up to the user to manually perform the backup/restore, then makes it the users responsibility not mine. I'm in this as a hobby, I'm not going to make enough money to live on. So I don't want to get moaned at because people lose data.

I will definitely investigate adding iCloud syncing, but just wanted to air my concerns.

Thanks.
You could keep track on each device and on the cloud of the "version" of the data of each device so to realize you have a conflict and ask the user to solve it manually. Not very easy, and will force you to keep track of devices, and engineer a bit what to do with a new device, but it's feasible. I agree it is too much effort for a small "hobby" project.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:08 AM   #35
CZorzella
Registered Users

Instead of making the software synchronize automatically, just let the user sync manually. Can't be any simpler than that!

Carlos
CZorzella is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:21 AM   #36
btheli
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

Thanks.
This not only can happen, it does happen, and Evernote handles it by noting the conflict and forcing the user to rectify it. I've found it to be quite confusing trying to sort through it.

I think your dropbox approach is the right balance of capability and simplicity. Unless there's a simple iCloud type solution, it's not worth all the time it would take. I'd personally much rather see you focus effort on features that pertain to logging.

Thanks again for undertaking this project!
MSH Prôtos Max V2 ● Gaui X7/X3 ● SAB Goblin 570 ● Spirit FBL ● Taranis ● RCHN #631
btheli is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:51 AM   #37
DrSteve
Registered Users

Anyone here using my app on Android 7.0 or later? If you are please could you send me a message, I'd like to ask a couple of questions about your experience.

Cheers,
Stephen
RCHN #280
Goblin 700
Old 12-28-2016, 07:40 PM   #38
Argypak
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just downloaded the app and tried to import my techdad data. It gave me an error. Is there something I need to do to prepare the data?
Argypak is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:25 AM   #39
DrSteve
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argypak View Post
Just downloaded the app and tried to import my techdad data. It gave me an error. Is there something I need to do to prepare the data?
Hi Argy,

I have send you a PM about the issue. We should get this sorted easily!

Regards,
Stephen
RCHN #280
Goblin 700
Old 12-29-2016, 02:46 PM   #40
myxiplx
Registered Users

Quote:
Hi Argy,

I have send you a PM about the issue. We should get this sorted easily!

Regards,
Stephen
+1, my import issue was solved in a day. Great to have such a quick response :-)
myxiplx is online now        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please