Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE


Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Speed Helicopters


Speed Helicopters Speed Helicopters. Any brand as long as it goes FASSSSSSSSSTTTTTT!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2016, 04:04 PM   #1
slikwrik
Registered Users
 

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Default Speed Newbie Questions, G500 Sport Speed conversion - Help plz:)

Hi guys, I'm ready to dabble in speed - I want to convert my G500 sport (USA edition) into a speed machine and have a couple of setup questions if you don't mind helping me out.

Here's my setup
-G500 sport
-cyclic - Torq CL5180s
-tail - Torq 9188
-ESC - power jive 120hv (or jive pro...)
-motor - xnova 4025-670kv OR 830kv (TBD)
-blades - TBD (currently have rail 516s)
-Jeti
-FBL - currently Brain, may go BD, 3digi or beastx

I just bought a power jive 120HV and will build it into a 12s machine, do you think an xnova 4025-830kv or the 670kv would be a better choice? (Or other) Also what battery mah would you recommend? Pinion? Was thinking some pulse 6s 2600mahs or something.

For the power jive 120hv, I wanted the jive pro for the BEC to power my HV servos but it's so expensive. Was hoping to avoid running an external BEC due to weight, but the power jive BEC only provides 6v max... Do you guys think that my Torq CL5180 cyclics running at 6v would be adequate in terms of torque? Or is it best to get an external BEC to run the servos HV. Low voltage mini size servos makes me nervous for speed.

As for blades, my 500S in a 3D setup runs 516rails which are great! Would those be a suitable speed blade or would a shorter length be better for increased rpm/speed. For planks in general shorter props turn faster and only the pitch matters for speed, thrust is not a big deal - is the same true for helis? In general do you have tips for blade length, is shorter better? Should I shoot for a 500 blade or even shorter?

I'm gonna add temp & GPS 2 in addition to the Jeti Mui - I usually run Jeti/brain integration but I hear the brain FBL is no good for speed... I'm not ready for BD costs and don't want to switch to vbar. Should i try Spartan or perhaps 3digi for speed? They also have Jeti integration which I like. Would love to hear your thoughts. Would a used BD be worth it?

Always appreciate your advice/wisdom!
Thanks,
Kyle
slikwrik is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:20 PM   #2
Vinger
Registered Users
 
Posts: 8,411
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Default

Answered your question about the servos in your other thread. The Demon FBL units work really well for speed, so does the Spirit. The Brain and iKon units are really terrible at FFF. Have no experience with 3Digi. The Neo is my choice for speed and can be used with the Jeti products.

I use Rail 616 blades on my Gaui R5 and they work really well.
__________________
Gaui R5, Henseleit TDR +TDR2, Banshee
Kontronik ESC, iChargers, VBar, VControl, JR XG11
Old hand at Planks

Last edited by Vinger; 11-14-2016 at 02:42 PM..
Vinger is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:19 AM   #3
slikwrik
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Default

thanks Vinger,

For the blades, the R5 is a 600ish class machine compared so I could see the rail 516s making sense. I'm wondering if they're just too long on a goblin 500 at the extremely high headspeed im looking to run. Is shorter better? I'm looking for the 'best money can buy' for this 500 sized speed machine

Also I'm looking for input on the motor choice - xnova 4025-830kv or 670kv OR other? Similarly looking for the best money can buy - a motor that will perform but also fit on this frame
slikwrik is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 02:46 PM   #4
Vinger
Registered Users
 
Posts: 8,411
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Default

Sry I had a typo in my post, the R5 runs 616 blades. You need to match the size of blades to your heli size and horsepower available. The 616 size on R5 with 700 class motors and ESC works really well.

On the larger 700 size helis I always run 690-720 blades, anything longer and the hp required just shoots up.
__________________
Gaui R5, Henseleit TDR +TDR2, Banshee
Kontronik ESC, iChargers, VBar, VControl, JR XG11
Old hand at Planks
Vinger is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 03:25 AM   #5
weracemo
Registered Users
 
Posts: 277
 

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Gurnee IL, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slikwrik View Post
thanks Vinger,

For the blades, the R5 is a 600ish class machine compared so I could see the rail 516s making sense. I'm wondering if they're just too long on a goblin 500 at the extremely high headspeed im looking to run. Is shorter better? I'm looking for the 'best money can buy' for this 500 sized speed machine

Also I'm looking for input on the motor choice - xnova 4025-830kv or 670kv OR other? Similarly looking for the best money can buy - a motor that will perform but also fit on this frame
The goblin 500 and 570 share the same parts except for the boom/blades as far as I know. Definitely the same gearbox, gearing and head..

The Xnova 4030 560 will fit under your canopy with a little bit of trimming... it's 92A continuous

Here's a pic of my red 570 speed project beside my yellow 570 3D heli...

the red one has the Xnova and trim work around the motor...

I'm testing the hobbywing PLATINUM PRO 100A-HV V3 ESC on 12s with a 10A hercules super BEC and BK 7002s with 7006 tail...

Just one flight and an inspection so far... I'm undecided on blades and headspeed so your post really interests me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161118_150055.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	681561   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161118_150137.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	681562   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161118_150129.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	681563  
__________________
Goblins 770, (x2)700s, 630, (x2)570s, 420, 380, Comet??, TDR 2 & Trex250,,,,100%Vbar, BK, Xpert, Kontronik, Hobbywing ,,,, Czn#760
If there's a better heli I'm interested
weracemo is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:46 PM   #6
iscripter
Registered Users
 
Posts: 226
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Default

The Rail 516mm blades are excellent for FFF. They are what I use for my Gaui X5 and I am very happy with them. Unfortunately there are not any speed specific blades for this size class, I wish there were more.

For flybarless I would recommend you check out the Spartan VX1e. Works great for Speed and FFF. Also has JETI integration with Spartan, so you will not have to drag a PC with you to the field to make tuning changes. All parameters can be set from the Radio.
__________________
Citizen 682 | Gaui X3-Spartan VX1n | Gaui X5-Spartan VX1e | Goblin 700 Speed-Spartan VX1n
JETI DS-14
iscripter is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:22 AM   #7
slikwrik
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Default

great advice thank you!!

I ended up getting a BD 3sx, upgrading to a jive pro 120HV, and sticking with the rails.

Thanks guys
slikwrik is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #8
slikwrik
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by weracemo View Post
The goblin 500 and 570 share the same parts except for the boom/blades as far as I know. Definitely the same gearbox, gearing and head..

The Xnova 4030 560 will fit under your canopy with a little bit of trimming... it's 92A continuous

Here's a pic of my red 570 speed project beside my yellow 570 3D heli...

the red one has the Xnova and trim work around the motor...

I'm testing the hobbywing PLATINUM PRO 100A-HV V3 ESC on 12s with a 10A hercules super BEC and BK 7002s with 7006 tail...

Just one flight and an inspection so far... I'm undecided on blades and headspeed so your post really interests me
Thanks for the info - I believe that is incorrect regarding the 570 & 500 having the same frame & tranny - the 570 is a bit bigger and the 4030 definitely will not fit under the 500 canopy without cutting out a big hole.

I can share once the retrofit is complete
slikwrik is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:27 PM   #9
weracemo
Registered Users
 
Posts: 277
 

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Gurnee IL, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slikwrik View Post
Thanks for the info - I believe that is incorrect regarding the 570 & 500 having the same frame & tranny - the 570 is a bit bigger and the 4030 definitely will not fit under the 500 canopy without cutting out a big hole.

I can share once the retrofit is complete
Images in #5 above show the hole size...

Here is reference regarding the gearbox... scroll down to see parts..

http://www.goblin-helicopter.com/sho...p?cPath=99_147

__________________
Goblins 770, (x2)700s, 630, (x2)570s, 420, 380, Comet??, TDR 2 & Trex250,,,,100%Vbar, BK, Xpert, Kontronik, Hobbywing ,,,, Czn#760
If there's a better heli I'm interested
weracemo is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:39 PM   #10
slikwrik
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Default

the head and tranny block (and other misc parts) might be the same but I'm almost certain they're geared differently.

I could be wrong but I partly recall for HS calcs you'd use a 165ish main gear tooth count for the 500 and a 206 tooth count for the 570
slikwrik is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:30 AM   #11
weracemo
Registered Users
 
Posts: 277
 

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Gurnee IL, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slikwrik View Post
the head and tranny block (and other misc parts) might be the same but I'm almost certain they're geared differently.

I could be wrong but I partly recall for HS calcs you'd use a 165ish main gear tooth count for the 500 and a 206 tooth count for the 570
SMH

http://www.anythingheli.com/sab-cnc-...oblin-500-570/
__________________
Goblins 770, (x2)700s, 630, (x2)570s, 420, 380, Comet??, TDR 2 & Trex250,,,,100%Vbar, BK, Xpert, Kontronik, Hobbywing ,,,, Czn#760
If there's a better heli I'm interested
weracemo is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:25 PM   #12
audacity
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,643
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: michigan
Default

The 500 & 570 have different gearing. OWB gear is different.
audacity is offline        Reply With Quote
Reply




Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Speed Helicopters


Speed Helicopters Speed Helicopters. Any brand as long as it goes FASSSSSSSSSTTTTTT!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Copyright © 2004-2016 by RCGroups.com, LLC except where otherwise indicated. The HeliFreak.com logo is a trademark of RCGroups.com, LLC.