Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X Brushless Mods

mCP X Brushless Mods Blade Micro CPx Brushless Mods and Conversions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does this method of wiring thesteve converter work with any ESC? I saw in the sticky by so-fly this is how he wired the converter also but was using the same esc motor combo. Seems like this method is so much easier than soldering to the board, are there any disadvantages?
khogan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #22 (permalink)
Blade Forum Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by khogan View Post
Does this method of wiring thesteve converter work with any ESC? I saw in the sticky by so-fly this is how he wired the converter also but was using the same esc motor combo. Seems like this method is so much easier than soldering to the board, are there any disadvantages?
It will work with any esc :-)

Sent from my DROIDX
tntburnett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for sharing, this mod just got a whole lot easier.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You get the elusive SkrappaR seal of approval. Great job my friend. I may actually give this a go.
Jskrapper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #25 (permalink)
Blade Forum Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jskrapper View Post
You get the elusive SkrappaR seal of approval. Great job my friend. I may actually give this a go.
Thank you
Old 06-19-2011, 06:50 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

TNT do you know if that speed controller works OK with other motors?

I have the C05M Micro brushless outrunner 11000kv on the way from Hobby King but in Canda the post office went on strike so it may be a while. I was planning on ordering another speed controller but now with the strike I found they have the one you used at the LHS for $10
Old 06-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

TNT,
Thanks for keeping us abreast on your work, great job to you and the other brushless leaders

Great job, my friend
Trex 550e 3G stre....tched to a 600 Cam Ship hauling a GoPro, Sony sn777, or Nikon D3100 all downlinked / trex250 for backyard 3D (mild+)... Fun little bird / blade mcp x... You DON'T have one yet?????
Uncle Sir is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2011, 07:33 PM   #28 (permalink)
Blade Forum Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khogan View Post
TNT do you know if that speed controller works OK with other motors?

I have the C05M Micro brushless outrunner 11000kv on the way from Hobby King but in Canda the post office went on strike so it may be a while. I was planning on ordering another speed controller but now with the strike I found they have the one you used at the LHS for $10
Yea it should work fine it is a 10 amp esc so yes it should be fine
Old 06-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #29 (permalink)
Blade Forum Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sir View Post
TNT,
Thanks for keeping us abreast on your work, great job to you and the other brushless leaders

Great job, my friend
You are welcome. That's what we are for to help each other out
Old 06-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the link TNT. I'll try the conversion out.
swiftyflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Two of my Walkera 10A ESCs would not start the C05 motor but work fine with HP08-2 motors. The AeoRC 5A esc starts the C05 motor fine and works good. Amp is using this ESC also with good luck.

So I'd recommend the AeoRC 5A or the eBay 7A ESCs ( I haven't tried the eBay 7A ESC).

YMMV, Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntburnett View Post
Yea it should work fine it is a 10 amp esc so yes it should be fine
dbennettya is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #32 (permalink)
Blade Forum Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennettya View Post
Two of my Walkera 10A ESCs would not start the C05 motor but work fine with HP08-2 motors. The AeoRC 5A esc starts the C05 motor fine and works good. Amp is using this ESC also with good luck.

So I'd recommend the AeoRC 5A or the eBay 7A ESCs ( I haven't tried the eBay 7A ESC).

YMMV, Don
Good catch buddy. I find it odd that a 10 amp esc wont start the motor a 5amp will very odd. Unless it need a resistor on it between the yellow and blue on the Steve converter Oh or on the converter you are running. Are you using the converter u had in the picture you showed me that converter may not be strong enough to run it.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm sure Don can explain alot better than I but different motors need different timing. They also need different starting power and current supply. Inrunners are generally very easy for esc's to start. Outrunners are generally harder, and they can have a variety of magnet/stator teeth arrangements that also come into play.

Some esc's allow for this with programming paramiters for start power and pole count as well as other variables. High Kv 1s outrunners are some of the trickiest to start and run at the full rpm reliably.

Amp
Ampdraw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #34 (permalink)
Blade Forum Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw View Post
I'm sure Don can explain alot better than I but different motors need different timing. They also need different starting power and current supply. Inrunners are generally very easy for esc's to start. Outrunners are generally harder, and they can have a variety of magnet/stator teeth arrangements that also come into play.

Some esc's allow for this with programming paramiters for start power and pole count as well as other variables. High Kv 1s outrunners are some of the trickiest to start and run at the full rpm reliably.

Amp
Well put :-). I didn't think of that.

Sent from my DROIDX
Old 06-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys, this is probably the exact same as the Walkera one so I am guessing it will behave the same.

Anyone know where can I buy the AeoRC 5A? (preferably with Canadian shipping that is not outrageous) If i can't find it I know I can get the ebay ESC at wowhobbies at least. Griff1 was using this so it should work fine.

Do I need any other devices to program the ESC or can I do that with my remote?

Now I just gotta find a pinion and I am all set (trying to avoid paying the $20 shipping to get the pinion from bphobbies)
Old 06-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1, good explaination Amp.

BTW, I did test the negative pitch thrust of the mCP X with C05 1mm shaft 8T stock pinion and got 95g but I don't know exactly what the pitch was as I was manually adjusting the servos and running the C05 motor and AeoRC 5A esc from my RX2609 Walkera receiver just testing. I'm waiting for my the Steve converter

Don

Quote:

Amp
dbennettya is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 10:24 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi guys!

I just have a few questions..

I got the walkera (helimax) brushless conversion ordered (the one linked in the OP)

But wanted to know if this converter would work and how to hook up would be since theres jus 1 wire and a male futaba at the other end.

(I live close to the wowhobbies warehouse and could pick it up)

http://www.wowhobbies.com/thestevebl...nverter-1.aspx

Also I can't find the 9t pinion anywhere.. Anyone know where I could pick one up?
Would the stock 8 pinion work?

Thanks guys!!

Btw.. How long did shipping take everyone who got the steves converter from thesteve.ca to get the converter?

Last edited by Souskei; 06-21-2011 at 12:36 AM..
Souskei is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 02:34 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souskei View Post
Hi guys!

I just have a few questions..

I got the walkera (helimax) brushless conversion ordered (the one linked in the OP)

But wanted to know if this converter would work and how to hook up would be since theres jus 1 wire and a male futaba at the other end.

(I live close to the wowhobbies warehouse and could pick it up)

http://www.wowhobbies.com/thestevebl...nverter-1.aspx

Also I can't find the 9t pinion anywhere.. Anyone know where I could pick one up?
Would the stock 8 pinion work?

Thanks guys!!

Btw.. How long did shipping take everyone who got the steves converter from thesteve.ca to get the converter?
The three pin futaba style connector is going to be power + - and signal out while the wire by itself will be signal in.
However it may not work properly as it was programmed for walkera rx signal which is vastly different to the Mcpx.
Me, I wouldn't take the gamble. It'll be heavier too.
My converter was shipped the same day and got to Aus in ten...can't complain there.

The wk003 motor has a 1.5mm shaft so the stock 1mm bore pinion won't work and there's not enough meat to drill it out unless you are a pro on a mini lathe. I buggered up one trying to hand drill it super carefully!

Amp
Ampdraw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 02:52 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The three pin futaba style connector is going to be power + - and signal out while the wire by itself will be signal in.
However it may not work properly as it was programmed for walkera rx signal which is vastly different to the Mcpx.
Me, I wouldn't take the gamble. It'll be heavier too.
My converter was shipped the same day and got to Aus in ten...can't complain there.

The wk003 motor has a 1.5mm shaft so the stock 1mm bore pinion won't work and there's not enough meat to drill it out unless you are a pro on a mini lathe. I buggered up one trying to hand drill it super carefully!

Amp
Thanks amp!

Yea I'm still trying to get the pinion somewhere or a least the part number for the gas pinion (I work at a Hobbytown so if onl I had the part number..)
I'm just gonna try to drill the stock one with a 1.5 bit if i can't find the 9t anywhere

And yeah I didn't risk getting the futaba plug converter from wowhobbies (wish they had the steve one in stock) so I just ordered one from thesteve.ca and hopefully it'll get here before 10 days since im in California.
Souskei is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 06:41 AM   #40 (permalink)
Blade Forum Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souskei View Post
Thanks amp!

Yea I'm still trying to get the pinion somewhere or a least the part number for the gas pinion (I work at a Hobbytown so if onl I had the part number..)
I'm just gonna try to drill the stock one with a 1.5 bit if i can't find the 9t anywhere

And yeah I didn't risk getting the futaba plug converter from wowhobbies (wish they had the steve one in stock) so I just ordered one from thesteve.ca and hopefully it'll get here before 10 days since im in California.
Have you tried BPhobbies.com for the pinion and the mod is 0.3 for the pitch

Sent from my DROIDX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in