Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mSR

mSR Blade (eFlite) Micro SR Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 02:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default My Blade MSR's main Gear/Shaft/Rotor is slanted & off-center

Hi

Does anyone have issues with thier Blade MSR's main rotor being off center?
Looking from the back (& starting from the bottom) the main shaft slants from left to right.

I first noticed this in my first hovering flight where I could easily see that my body and chassis was hanging at a slant. I could also see that me rotar blades where slanted too. As odd as this was it hovered balanced & stable. BUT when I flew it outside at speed the MSR flys right when I try to go strait. The only way I can get it to go strait is to turn a little left.

Its not just trimming

I have two MSR's.
The 1st one I was able to counter the offset tilt of the main shaft/rotor blades by trimming the servo. This helped for forward fight to be more strait when going slower, but at high speeds it still turned right (just not nearly as bad). These adjustments screwed-up the nice stable hovering, and the more I tried to compensate for forward flight... the more the hover got screwed-up.

I had my 1st MSR about a week before I got my 2nd. I was hopeing my 2nd one wouldn't have this problem, but its even worse!

On both heli's I can noticeably see that the main shaft is crocked on the frame. They are off about the same on both.

On my 1st MSR I was a bit disappointed with the adjustments that had to be made, but then after I adjusted it (even though I always had to give a little left turn to fly strait) I started to fly it more and have alot of fun with it. But now that I got my 2nd MSR and the same exact problem is worse! Im pretty disappointed with this. It looks to me as if it is a manufacturing flaw. Its very noticeably. Its bad!

Out of the box hover and slow flying in a small room works great. But once flown at higher speeds both of my MSR's make sharp turns to the right (flying them away from me). Its a sharp enough turn that NO good RC Heli flier would tolerate it.

Its so bad I think about wanting my money back, but at the same time I want to love this little guys soo much! They seem to have great potential! ...and could be really fun if perfected. But im bummed at how its working in reality.

Here are a few pictures to help explain. The 1st 3 pictures are micro shots from behind. The fuzzy white streek you see in the middle of the picture is the tail fin. They are 3-shots left, center, and right of the tail fin. With each angle you can see that the main shaft and gear is way left of the chassis. At even extreme angles I can see that the main gear and shaft are not centered in the middle of the heli. Its very obvious.

The 4th and 5th picture is directed at the main shaft where you can see (from bottom to top) the shaft starts left and slants up to the right. The shaft is a bit hard to see (because of the color) if you don't know what you are looking at, but if you can make out the main shaft it is very easy to see that it is slanted compared to the chassis.

Does anyone else notice this kind of behavior from their MSR? ....right sliding turns when trying to fly strait at speeds?

Thanks for you time and input!
Its much appreciated
~Stephen Bailey

p.s.
If its too hard to see the shaft I can highlight it in Photoshop
...Thanks again for your time!
ThoughtsCreate is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009, 02:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You're fine - they are supposed to be that way. It counter-acts the normal tendency to slide on take-off. Every one I've seen is that way.

_Scott
Old 09-15-2009, 03:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm6079 View Post
You're fine - they are supposed to be that way. It counter-acts the normal tendency to slide on take-off. Every one I've seen is that way.

_Scott
+1 That's what's brilliant about the design, and keeps the model flying not unlike its brother, the MCX
PittJitsu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2009, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Right slide is normal. CP machine would roll to the right in FF and would have to be corrected as well.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissymmetry_of_lift
ignacj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2009, 10:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aaah OK. Got it

Thanks for the wiki link ignacj
...makes sense to me
ThoughtsCreate is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2009, 08:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ya, SCM is right. I noticed the whole shaft/motor/rotor is tilted right to have 'built-in' counter to the tail rotor's push for stability.

Half of me says 'cool. Neat design' the other half of me says 'i wish it were square so I'd have to correct for the tail rotor push myself'. But you can't have it all I guess.
DaRedJack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2009, 01:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine tends to slide to the "left" on takeoff 50% of the time, what gives?
Freezebyte is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's supposed to do that. It's caused by main rotor torque and the thrust of the tail rotor. You will find this with all single rotor helicopters that have powered tails. The slanting mainshaft is designed to help with this tendancy. It's best just to get used to it, as any future birds you might own, especially if you ever want to fly a collective pitch heli. Just hold a little right cyclic as you take off. It seems that the tail comes up to speed a little faster than than the main blades, so the tail tends to push the heli left until the skids clear the ground.
jdubdub is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This forum is great. Had a crash as well today, took a look at it and was like, "whoa....bent the whole shaft on that one."

I was just about ready to see about straightening the shaft. Now I'll leave it alone and worry about getting some parts. Broke one blade, the landing gear snapped and the tail stabilizer is bent.

NOT TOO BAD considering it smashed into the side of my house.
powerline is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm glad. I generated an RMA to return my mSR. I guess I'm not returning it. I got it yesterday and noticed the slant and it killed me inside... but now i know why. Thanks a lot guys and original OP for posting it.

BTW, does anyone else's mSR twitch when it's hovering? I trimmed my mCX and it's very stable while hovering, but the mSR twitches/shakes when hovering even after good trimming.
mojocool is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default power twitch/glitches in flight

Mine just started doing this. When hovering it seems that the power glitches/ goes out for a tiny fraction of a second. Repeatedly, kind of randomly. You can hear the motor glitch, the heli twitches, the blue light flickers. It still flies, but something is wrong. Took apart and cleaned under the servos, no help. Tried 4 different batteries, all connections are plugged in well.
rojack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2010, 09:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Finally! Its stickied!
BaconRaygun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicovaludemero View Post
Finally! Its stickied!
+10,000,000,000
Old 06-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Next we'll have to get the stock pushrod length posted- that one gets asked quite frequently as well.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

The slant drives me crazy! I also thought it was from one of my wrecks and have spent a lot of time gawking at it. The body posts are what really messed me up. I kept trying to bend them so they were level! Finally one broke off. The back right side. It REALLY turns to right now! Maybe if I break off the left one instead and keep the right then it will fly straight with no adjustments? ha ha.

Glad this is stickied now! It will still drive me nuts but now i at least know it shouldn't!
celicacrazy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerline View Post
I was just about ready to see about straightening the shaft. Now I'll leave it alone .........
Don't even think of adjusting the shaft. It's carbon fibre, and any change you manage to make will break it.

I think this heli flies just fine. Yes, it needs a fair bit of correcting while it's flying, but that's helicopters for you. The MSR is kind, and it has some designed in stability, but in general helis are unstable, and full size ones just do it bigger.
lazygit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojack View Post
Mine just started doing this. When hovering it seems that the power glitches/ goes out for a tiny fraction of a second. Repeatedly, kind of randomly. You can hear the motor glitch, the heli twitches, the blue light flickers. It still flies, but something is wrong. Took apart and cleaned under the servos, no help. Tried 4 different batteries, all connections are plugged in well.
I had the same problem with my 120sr. but it started with just the tail motor then it was the whole heli flickering on and off. I also assumed batteries but no all 4 work the same.. so maybe the esc got damaged in a crash until upon closer inspection it turned out to be the wire on the 5 in 1 had came free and was cutting power to the motors.
unknowncitizen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool Done that..

Hey guys, I have had all the different heli types and they all are sorta alike. The slant on my MSR really bugged me cause I'm a perfectionist and it did not look real. "Stupid". After 1-1/2 years I am down to a FP Honey BEE, the "Tank"..You have to give right stick on take off like all the others. Helis are addictive and a pain in the A-S. They are almost as bad as drugs, but they are COOL to fly in your face, unlike my plane, a P-51. Yea, sorry guys, but we are si_k....Dave...
Old 12-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojack View Post
Hi, I have the exact same issue with my mSR, did you ever get this resolved ?

Thanks
MtlHeliFan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

That would be caused by a frayed battery wire or an internally broken motor connector block on the board. Either condition can be hidden by fiberglass or wire insulation-- these issues are NOT always visible to the naked eye.
hydro_pyro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in