Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Audacity

Audacity Audacity Pantera Helicopters Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2015, 10:14 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Several guys are using them in things like Rush 750 and Goblins, so I don't see why not.

Frankly, I've never understood why some guys look down their noses at those not using brushless servos. After all - back in the day - Curtis Youngblood flew with 90oz-in/.15sec servos. Funny thing is, those internet experts who believe you 'need' $150-200 servos on cyclic and tail probably can't perform the maneuvers he did if their lives depended on it ;>)
AMA # 47381, IRCHA #745
jbeech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2015, 05:12 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just ordered three S245BLHV and a S120BLHV for my TSA 700E Platinum build. This is my first experience with these servos and my first order from Audacity Models. I fly hard smack and technical 3D, so we'll see what these servos can do. I was originally planning on utilizing the coreless BK servos for this build, but had second thoughts a few days ago when I was ready to hit the checkout button. I've never personally known anyone who has used ProModeler servos and I've never seen anyone flying with them in person, so here's hoping I've made the right buying decision.

Uriah is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2015, 07:21 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
I just ordered three S245BLHV and a S120BLHV for my TSA 700E Platinum build. This is my first experience with these servos and my first order from Audacity Models. I fly hard smack and technical 3D, so we'll see what these servos can do. I was originally planning on utilizing the coreless BK servos for this build, but had second thoughts a few days ago when I was ready to hit the checkout button. I've never personally known anyone who has used ProModeler servos and I've never seen anyone flying with them in person, so here's hoping I've made the right buying decision.
Can't say I fly smack with mine, but I've been very happy with their performance.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:03 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

I smack the hell out of my 480oz Promodeler servo in a heavy 1/8 monster truck all the time. It can fly, flip, roll, crash..

I just KNOW that's what you were asking for smack flight. :] I haven't installed my 245oz HV Promodeler servos yet into my P6 heli.
Garland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2015, 10:19 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, that's a good sign. I have very little knowledge of ground stuff, except that ground guys beat the heck out of servos and ESCs.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:38 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the promodeler servo's in two models, one .50 class and one 600 class. They work much better than the Futaba's I previously had. Much faster and seem to use less power for some reason.
Jer
Jerry Moore, AMA #878954,TARANIS OpenTX- Pantera 600 FB - Pantera .60 FB - Takes a licking and keeps on kicking! KISSAM = Keep It Simple Stupid: Affordable, Maintainable -
Visit Early and often - http://open-txu.org
Jermo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2015, 08:25 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have them in both my p6's and a full set going in my rave env. i like them alot. besides the customer service is exceptional.
Skookum support pilot
geomecc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2015, 11:08 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

John called me today to let me know that there would be a few week delay on getting my rudder servo. Apparently they're having a minor issue with the firmware on the S120BLHV servos that'll take a few weeks to get straightened out. He offered to mail the cyclic servos now, but I instructed him to hold my order till he can send it all at once. He's going to be sending me one of their t-shirts with my order as a gesture for the delay. He seemed like a really nice guy over the phone and, surprisingly, despite the delay in my order I find myself a little more comfortable with my purchase.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:10 AM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
John called me today to let me know that there would be a few week delay on getting my rudder servo.
Yes, I got the same message from John a couple of weeks ago when he first discovered the issue, something to do with the PCB he told me I think.
I also found him incredibly helpful so as soon as the issue is resolved I'll be ordering a set of servos. The cyclics as you say are not effected.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:27 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
John called me today to let me know that there would be a few week delay on getting my rudder servo. Apparently they're having a minor issue with the firmware on the S120BLHV servos that'll take a few weeks to get straightened out. He offered to mail the cyclic servos now, but I instructed him to hold my order till he can send it all at once. He's going to be sending me one of their t-shirts with my order as a gesture for the delay. He seemed like a really nice guy over the phone and, surprisingly, despite the delay in my order I find myself a little more comfortable with my purchase.
Jerry Moore, AMA #878954,TARANIS OpenTX- Pantera 600 FB - Pantera .60 FB - Takes a licking and keeps on kicking! KISSAM = Keep It Simple Stupid: Affordable, Maintainable -
Visit Early and often - http://open-txu.org
Jermo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Yep

Yep, that is one of the reasons I like and speak about JB's equipment with the guys at the field. His customer service is top. I need to order one of the tail servos for my e-Pantera.
tealc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2015, 12:06 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
As a follow up to my post... I'm still waiting on my servos. I'm guessing John is pretty busy right now since it's Joe Nall week. But if I don't have my servos by this coming Monday, I'll probably give him a call to get an update (unless of course he checks in on the forums). I'm still waiting on a few other components to arrive for this particular build (TSA 700E Platinum), so I'm not in too big of a hurry for the servos. But do hope I can have the bird together by Memorial Day weekend, so I could fly it at a fun fly my club is hosting to help raise some money for the Wounded Warrior Project. I have to admit I'm genuinely intrigued by these servos and am really curious to see how they stack up against both premium servos (i.e. JR, MKS, etc.) and budget servos (i.e. Align DS610, Spectrum H6040, etc.)...

Old 05-13-2015, 01:15 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

on my last order John emailed me back quickly and he even opened shop on his off day to pack my order knowing I wasnt even in a hurry for it to arrive...

The crew at Audacity takes its customer service very seriously in my experience. I know your order got delayed Uriah and you are new to the Audacity experience, but I can honestly say you will be a thrilled customer in the end like the rest of us here.
Garland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tail servos are progressing. I hesitate to put a date on when we'll be finished because we'll still have to test them, then package them up, and it all takes a little time. Anyway, since there was an error in firmware we had to build a new batch of boards (as you guys know, we go the extra mile and pot the components on the PCBs so there's no simply removing the chip and soldering in a new one). This means we had to remove and trash the entire board and because we're not exactly a major player, the PCB manufacturer slips our production in between runs of products where even 100k is a small run. The downside of being so small is we can't make demands about when they must finish something. Usually this isn't a problem because we plan appropriately but when we make a mistake, like we did this time, then we're caught with our shorts down and have to inconvenience our customers with a delay. Anyway, I hope it won't be much longer.
AMA # 47381, IRCHA #745
Old 05-13-2015, 07:40 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garland View Post
The crew at Audacity takes its customer service very seriously in my experience. I know your order got delayed Uriah and you are new to the Audacity experience, but I can honestly say you will be a thrilled customer in the end like the rest of us here.
I hope so. I'm not complaining, mind you - I'm still waiting on a few other things to arrive before I can finish the build, anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeech View Post
Tail servos are progressing. I hesitate to put a date on when we'll be finished because we'll still have to test them, then package them up, and it all takes a little time. Anyway, since there was an error in firmware we had to build a new batch of boards (as you guys know, we go the extra mile and pot the components on the PCBs so there's no simply removing the chip and soldering in a new one). This means we had to remove and trash the entire board and because we're not exactly a major player, the PCB manufacturer slips our production in between runs of products where even 100k is a small run. The downside of being so small is we can't make demands about when they must finish something. Usually this isn't a problem because we plan appropriately but when we make a mistake, like we did this time, then we're caught with our shorts down and have to inconvenience our customers with a delay. Anyway, I hope it won't be much longer.
To put things in perspective... I was flying some hard 3D on a buddy's brand new Trex 700L Dominator the other day (it only had about 5 flights on it) when one of the $150 Align BL815H cyclic servos failed on me. I somehow managed to auto the bird in with absolutely zero damage. Immediately upon inspection, we all noticed that the left cyclic (pitch) servo was fluttering like crazy. With that in mind, I'd sooner have to wait a little longer for the firmware issue to be fixed then to put a 700-size bird together and have a tail servo misbehave on me.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:54 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

I too was called by John letting me know he was going to be delayed with the tail servo. I was willing to wait for all of my servos to come in. When they arrived he also provided me with a t-shirt and I can truly say these are nicely built servos. I have since bought 2 more tail servos and will be putting these servos to good use. I have built everything from Align, to Goblin, to Thunder Tiger, Jr, and TSA and have mainly in the past been an all Futaba guy. Now I am opening my eyes up to some different brands. The latest set of servos are going in a Thunder Tiger e820... and I just finished installing a set in a TSA Platinum...You will not be disappointed with the servos or the service you receive....
chicagoslick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2015, 07:33 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am humbled by your kind words. Thank you.
AMA # 47381, IRCHA #745
Old 10-10-2015, 04:36 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've made some brushless minis and we're testing them now. More info here:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...96#post6686796
AMA # 47381, IRCHA #745
Old 01-30-2016, 11:52 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like the standard size brushless servos have a new finned case design. Is there anything else new about these "V3s" other than the case and price increase?
TheKingPhisher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2016, 08:39 AM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

What differentiates these from the originals? Many things. As background, the only difference between v1 and v2 is the gear material (steel instead of brass). However, in going from v2 to v3 there were a host of changes. The principal reason for the update this time around was due to the larger gears leading to a larger case. Speaking of the gears, while they're still made of steel, they're now much taller (photo). This largely came about because of the S420, where they are being used in 40lb IMAC models. I extended their use to the S245 too because 30% pilots (20lb models with wingspans of 105" and 100cc engines) are using them. And of course, they're used for 10-12 pound helicopters.

Why larger gears? Simply put, despite switching to all steel gears with the v2, top pilots flying aggressive maneuvers (with the very large, e.g. 138" wingspan model airplanes) still weren't getting through an entire flying season before needing replacement gear sets. It's not like the laws of physics are repealed so they're still going to need maintenance, but more surface area between gears means longer life so the taller gears will hopefully resolve this (we'll see). As for pilots flying 700-800 class helicopters, the larger gears are a bonus because while the application of the forces are much more frequent (due to being controlled by gyroscopes), they simply are not of as large a magnitude and hence, gear wear is not the same kind of issue. For these pilots there's a different benefit of the v3 (discussed below).

Anyway, since the case needed revising to accommodate the taller gears I figured this would be a good time to edit a few other things; like making the o-rings fully captured (when you disassemble a servo you'll see them appear like magic as the pieces separate). Previously they were visible and would occasionally get nicked in a crash. We also pocketed slightly deeper beneath the screw heads for these o-rings. Another small change is how we exit the case for the rubber seal at the lead. These updates lead to more machine and assembly time, so it costs a little more.

However, these are merely mechanical refinements. Another cost driver is we're using a different (and more costly) Nobel potentiometer (FWIW, like the motor and bearings, these are Japanese components, which we purchase for this servo). They tell us the new potentiometer will last longer, and I expect they're right, but again, we'll see. Anyway, this is a tangible benefit for helicopter pilots and easily worth our added cost in our judgement. Also, these are the first servos to use the new rubber mounting isolators (with correspondingly taller brass eyelets), which are from a mold I commissioned (these are similar to those available from JR and Futaba) and thus, it's another cost to be recovered since they're not a free upgrade.

As for the price increase of 20 bucks, added to the things I mentioned above, it's simple enough, as I'm learning more about the servo business (and the economics) I am also learning what my costs really are. We've just adjusted our pricing accordingly. After all, the point isn't to burn through money but to make money - else I don't stay in business. Moreover, it's not like these servos cost a dime less to make than competing servos (and I'd wager they cost more). Why? It's because others aren't paying for MIL-SPEC electronics, epoxy potting compound for vibration protection, and the larger steel gears, which are significantly more costly than the original metal gears and larger than what competitors offer. As we all know, quality costs.

Finally, thanks for giving me the opportunity to address your concerns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S245v3-vs-v2-gears2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	632967  
AMA # 47381, IRCHA #745

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in