Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 200

Hurricane 200 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default savox sh-0262mg's as cyclic servos?

has anyone used these on their cyclic? They are .06sec, but only 1.2 kg-cm. I'm currently running Hyperion ds-09scd's that .13sec and 2 kg-cm... but the pos's keep burning out. I've changed my radio and my 3-axis gyro several times...sill with the same issue. So I'm convinced the hyperion's have to go.

Stuff for sale

Last edited by CF_Machete; 01-30-2012 at 07:09 PM..
CF_Machete is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I tore the gears out of a Hyperion, but never had any other failures. Might want to check the output of your esc to be sure it isn't over 5V.

Cory
clytle374 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

the ds-09scd's are rated for 6 volts, which is what my bec is set for. the odd part is that this only happens after the bird has sat unused for a month or two. I think I'm switching to the savox servos.

Stuff for sale
Old 01-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Those savox ones look like a more tail servo spec, they should make others that are slower with more torque, you could use DS410M as well, they are made by savox.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF_Machete View Post
the ds-09scd's are rated for 6 volts, which is what my bec is set for. the odd part is that this only happens after the bird has sat unused for a month or two. I think I'm switching to the savox servos.
Maybe I have an old sheet, but mine shows 4.8/5.5 volts.

Cory

Current sheet from Hyperion

Quote:
NOTE: DS09 are optimized for max power on standard BEC ESC systems. Voltage input only 4-cell NiMH Rx pack or BEC with 4.8V~5.5V output.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I had some hyperions and had to return them since they were defective. Doing all sorts of unexpected movements or just not moving. Hyperion Europe admitted that they had a defective bunch and refunded me.

I'm now using Savox SH-0261MG on cyclic and SH-0262MG on tail. I use the Skookum SK-360 FBL and a Futaba GY-520 servo. The whole things runs at 6V via a separate BEC since the current draw is too much for the Castle Phoenix25 builit-n BEC on 3S.

The problem with the SAVOX is the extra weight, which adds to the extra weight of the BEC and all those wires. In the end the thing flies like a dream but I only get 5m30 flight on 3S 800mAh, landing with 20-25% remaining battery.

If I were you, I would try using better servos (heat dissipation, stronger gears like metal) on the cyclic and ensuring that you have enough current capacity in your BEC. If you are using both a FBL and a separate gyro, then there's a good chance your ESC's BEC is running very hot, maybe cutting out?

Also, if you are using an FBL, then you need cyclic servos that can work hard and not over heat. Metal gears, metal casing would be best IMH...

Hope any of that helped.

Ciao,
Bob
gratefulfrog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 07:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is the first I've heard of problems with the Hyperion servos, even in FBL helies, seems most everyone is using them in the 200s. But I do run the metal gear version(SMD) in mine. Anyway I decided to look a little more this morning into the voltage issue and found this fresh from their website. Looks even worse than them not being 6V rated.

Quote:
Maximum Input Voltage 5.5V Unloaded Voltage Max
I guess they are planning for wire/connector loss when loaded even at 5.5V. Nothing wrong with getting better servos, but no doubt this is why they are burning up.

Cory

EDIT: On the other hand I see that, unlike Hyperions, you can get replacment cases for Savox servos. Which is a real sore spot with me since I have a Hyperion with a broken case.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulfrog View Post
(...) In the end the thing flies like a dream but I only get 5m30 flight on 3S 800mAh, landing with 20-25% remaining battery.(...)
That does not sound too bad at all for a 800 mAh battery, I get 6' on a 2S Hyperion 900 mAh.....
DMala is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMala View Post
That does not sound too bad at all for a 800 mAh battery, I get 6' on a 2S Hyperion 900 mAh.....
He is using 3S, so 50% more energy is available...
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

i did a little digging and found that at 4.8volts, the jr ds285 mg's have 1.22 kg-cm of torque. the 285 mg's are recommended on 450's... so I should have plenty of torque for a 200 class cyclic...plus wicked speed.

Stuff for sale
Old 01-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Inolabs are worth a look at too.

Saying that I run Hyp09's but still have the retro flybar!

Amp
Ampdraw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

think is, I already bought the sh-0262 mg's with out doing prior research. Impulse buy at my lhs. though the savox website has them listed for a 200-450 tail servo, i think they will have enough torque for a 200 disk. worst case scenario, I can throw them into a tiny 3d foamy and pic up an extra.

Stuff for sale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in