Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2015, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Premium Canopies?

I have bought numerous canopies for my Protos, none of which were considered budget offerings.
Stock MSH, Canomod, MicroHeli, Lynx, some were better than others but all except the stock MSH, we're ridiculously brittle, one cracked just putting it on even though I made every effort to be gentle. The MSH canopy was reasonably flexible but still brittle.
I know from the auto industry that it is not difficult nor expensive to make paint flexible. It takes a simple additive to make it flexible so it won't crack when a car bumper flexes at speed or in a minor collision.
The glues and resins that bind the fiberglass together can be made flexible as well.
So why is it I pay $50 for a canopy and have to be afraid to take it on and off because it will crack, knock it off the bench to the sidewalk, pick it up and see paint chips on the ground, all because someone couldn't be bothered to put 50 cents of additive in the paint.
Fusuno obviously has this figured out I ordered one direct and it is super flexible, I smashed it nearly flat at the opening and it never even acted like it might crack.

What is the problem with everyone else is it too much to ask that my beautiful new canopy not crack everytime I look at it??

IMO these other manufacturers need to wake up, now that I know I can get a proper canopy, personalized for free, that will last and not break and loose paint at the slightest flex everything else is just a hanger ornament.
Protos Carbon Stretch, MSH Scorpion, YGE, Ikon
deebee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2015, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The polycarb canopy is wonderful. The only thing I don't liike it is that it seems to resonate the small amount of noise from the Protos, and quieter is cool.

But it's light, visibile, indestructible, and asymmetric.... quite unique.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

FYI, Canomod, Lynx, and Microheli are not high end canopies.

Check out Insane Canopies if you want to see high end canopies, and even with them many people will send them stock blank canopies to paint on. When dealing with high end helis some factory canopies are vacuum formed FG or CF and no one aftermarket can make a lighter more flexible canopy than one that is vacuum formed with the right resin.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The paint does not crack.It is the gel-coat.This is the first coat that goes into the mold then the weave and Finley the epoxy. That is why is has a smooth finish out of the mold.the cracks are the same a surf board crazing. The glass fiber and paint are enabled the intermediate gel-coat is not.you can add more gel-coat to heli with cracking but hat is just added weight and nobody will buy a heavy canpoy.

I loved and hated the poly Cano fir the money it I thought ut would be much thicker and more stable like rc car it is really really thin for the 40bux I paid ..

Msh goal is a light simple bird sometimes that means you need to change parts (worn tail slider-canopy that cracks up)to keep it as light possible
kayakboy69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2015, 03:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Honestly I know nothing of the technicalities, other than I am in total agreement with the OP. It drives me insane when just normal handling cracks my canopies.

I don't want them to stand up to a crash, that wouldn't be expected, but when you put it on for the first time, and whilst taking care, it goes craaaaack, it is not acceptable.

It doesn't matter which part of it cracks, or why, it simply shouldn't do it, and I can't believe it is beyond the wit of man to invent something, still at a reasonable price, that doesn't behave in this way.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it was deliberate to limit their lifespan.
sutty is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Of all the canopies I own, the only one one that strikes me as High quality is the Logo canopies. Not sure exactly who makes them off the top of my head or if yo ucan get them for other heli's from that company, but, they are far better than the canopies on other brands I have.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

In the case of my microheli canopy, it was everything but the fg itself that cracked initially, and the fiber giving in wasn't far behind. No crashes, no abuse, but missing half an ear. I have an MSH shamu poly canopy tough but a bit thin (resonates) the factory Protos canopy was reasonably flexible as I said.
The canopy I bought direct from Fusuno with free personalization and free shipping, not only looks good as have the offerings from cano-mod, lynx, MicroHeli etc., but is also tough and flexible and without being heavy This when I had nearly given up on fiberglass canopies totally.
You say no one would buy a canopy if it were a little heavier but everyday people buy full fuselage for looks, goblins have a heavier skin and are a favorite, I really feel like a few grams compared to the kilos a heli weighs is negligable for most of us, otherwise their would be a huge market for the light poly canopies which aren't as bright and vivid looking as their fg cousins.

I really don't know how 50.4 grams weighs in compared to other fg Protos canopies because I never bothered to weigh the others. But this just shows that it can be done with fglass, on a cost and weight budget.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Best canopy I have used it the stock one on the TDR. It's light flexible and it looks as good today as when I got it.
waxman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2015, 04:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just weighed a stock fg MSH canopy and it is 53 grams including the rubber grommets, so your 50.4 gram fusano is lighter and much more flexible than the stock MSH.
jfluegel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2015, 10:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfluegel View Post
I just weighed a stock fg MSH canopy and it is 53 grams including the rubber grommets, so your 50.4 gram fusano is lighter and much more flexible than the stock MSH.
Sweet, worst thing about ordering direct from Fusuno is if you order less than $150 the shipping is high, over $150 shipping is free.
You have to contact them directly to get more than just your name personalized, but they will also do quite a bit of airbrush work for free.

I ended up with a canopy, 2 frame sets, 2 sets 430mm blades, one set tail fin set, some stickers and a few other odds and ends things for my 150 dollars. If the blades turn out to work good, I will be well satisfied.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Canopies made from HDPE (aka milk jug plastic) are pretty much indestructible, can be painted like fiberglass if the surface is flame treated first and they are cheap to manufacture.
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2015, 01:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
Canopies made from HDPE (aka milk jug plastic) are pretty much indestructible, can be painted like fiberglass if the surface is flame treated first and they are cheap to manufacture.
How would one go about flame treating one of these to be able to paint it with florescent paint or such.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think sick and insane are the best ones out there from what ive seen ..
I have a sick angry bird canopy on my logo 600 sx , love it !
Dennis Everett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2015, 10:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebee View Post
How would one go about flame treating one of these to be able to paint it with florescent paint or such.
You use a blowtorch.

http://www.audacitymodels.com/Produc...3/Default.aspx

You can get inexpensive 600 size HDPE canopies here:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_HC6501_.html

The black windscreen is pained on but will come off easily with alcohol. (acetone is also safe to use on HDPE)
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2015, 10:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebee View Post
I have bought numerous canopies for my Protos, none of which were considered budget offerings.
Stock MSH, Canomod, MicroHeli, Lynx, some were better than others but all except the stock MSH, we're ridiculously brittle, one cracked just putting it on even though I made every effort to be gentle. The MSH canopy was reasonably flexible but still brittle.
I know from the auto industry that it is not difficult nor expensive to make paint flexible. It takes a simple additive to make it flexible so it won't crack when a car bumper flexes at speed or in a minor collision.
The glues and resins that bind the fiberglass together can be made flexible as well.
So why is it I pay $50 for a canopy and have to be afraid to take it on and off because it will crack, knock it off the bench to the sidewalk, pick it up and see paint chips on the ground, all because someone couldn't be bothered to put 50 cents of additive in the paint.
Fusuno obviously has this figured out I ordered one direct and it is super flexible, I smashed it nearly flat at the opening and it never even acted like it might crack.

What is the problem with everyone else is it too much to ask that my beautiful new canopy not crack everytime I look at it??

IMO these other manufacturers need to wake up, now that I know I can get a proper canopy, personalized for free, that will last and not break and loose paint at the slightest flex everything else is just a hanger ornament.
I am glad you like your Fusuno canopy, ... UPS e-mailed me and said they will be delivering mine tomorrow . The canopy that was on my used 450 when I bought it was glued and taped together and the guy said all that damage was from trying to get it on. I hate fighting with canopys my SR canopy is that way too. Fusuno's add looked pritty good the way they were binding and smashing their canopys. I hope it is as good as they claim it is.

Les
Old 04-21-2015, 12:37 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutty View Post
Honestly I know nothing of the technicalities, other than I am in total agreement with the OP. It drives me insane when just normal handling cracks my canopies.

I don't want them to stand up to a crash, that wouldn't be expected, but when you put it on for the first time, and whilst taking care, it goes craaaaack, it is not acceptable.

It doesn't matter which part of it cracks, or why, it simply shouldn't do it, and I can't believe it is beyond the wit of man to invent something, still at a reasonable price, that doesn't behave in this way.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it was deliberate to limit their lifespan.
Another one here who totally agrees!!!!!!! The wind knocked over my canopy yesterday off my table at the field and now the nose is chipped!,
So who makes premium canopies then? The canopy is almost as much as a set of 700 size blades!! 100$ is steep to me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in