Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2015, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default what is the consensus for the 500l

ok so i am considering getting a 500l, is it good or bad? i see a lot of threads about it saying its bad on here but it looks like a good helicopter.

thank you
Number is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2015, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmmm, I like mine... The only gripe I had/have with it is the canopy is really tight. I ended up with a few hairline cracks. It flies great. I bought the combo kit with the GPro and built it box stock.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

You know there's good and bad things about any model -

for most I think are satisfied - one of the Rotor's cast members digs the crap out of his - and he's been flying helis a long long time....

Really only bad thing I've seen - other than its little weightier than the dfc one - is the lack of adjustment on the motor mount -but if you stay stock its not a problem....most likely a kde or lynx fix in the works...ie......https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=699069

This is the future - they stopped making the others.......however parts and kits from pro's and esp seem to go on forever....

The main shaft is a tad bit taller on the L - so flip and roll rates will be slightly less than the dfc pro - but can someone like me or u feel that...

Also getting rid of that dfc head means alot more choices for head speeds - the dfc's were created for the insane high headspeed flyers....

-
Old 06-23-2015, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

my only complaint it fly's a little heavy
Kap'n Krunch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2015, 04:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap'n Krunch View Post
I have the ESP, but I have heard this statement that they are a bit heavier. If they are a bit heavier and have the 426mm blades, that would mean that the disc loading is going to be a bit more.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

"You know there's good and bad things about any model -

for most I think are satisfied - one of the Rotor's cast members digs the crap out of his - and he's been flying helis a long long time....

Really only bad thing I've seen - other than its little weightier than the dfc one - is the lack of adjustment on the motor mount -but if you stay stock its not a problem....most likely a kde or lynx fix in the works...ie......https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=699069

This is the future - they stopped making the others.......however parts and kits from pro's and esp seem to go on forever....

The main shaft is a tad bit taller on the L - so flip and roll rates will be slightly less than the dfc pro - but can someone like me or u feel that...

Also getting rid of that dfc head means alot more choices for head speeds - the dfc's were created for the insane high headspeed flyers...."

I read that post about the motor mount, I want to get a KDE motor because I really like them, if I use the stock gear on the motor will my rpm be too low for 3D?
Old 06-24-2015, 05:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

"my only complaint it fly's a little heavy"

"I have the ESP, but I have heard this statement that they are a bit heavier. If they are a bit heavier and have the 426mm blades, that would mean that the disc loading is going to be a bit more."

I once flew a trex 500 dfc that my friend let me fly, i didn't notice it as too heavy but i never had a 500 to compare to
Old 06-25-2015, 02:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap'n Krunch View Post
Well, it makes a difference if you fly the ESP with 3000 mAh or 2600mAh batteries, thats for sure.
Mateyhv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2015, 06:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Some 450mm blades should make it fly a little lighter too.
Gladius is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2015, 09:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm quite happy with mine. It does indeed fly a bit heavy, but I'm finding that may be my preference anyway. I only have 3000mah packs, but hope to check it out with a lighter pack someday and see if I notice much difference.

Built the stock combo just before xmas. No real issues from the gpro or other stock electronics. Kit was 100% fine, so no tailcase screw, motor mesh, or other mechanical issues. The manual had mistakes and some parts were vague, to me at least.

Only 'mods' so far are that I shortened the front canopy mounts which helps with the too-tight canopy. I dremeled out a couple spots to make sure the canopy can't touch the cyclic arms. I covered the boom with bright yellow monocote repair sticker for visibility. I also added a small CC bec. Oh, and I had to dremel out some indentions on the battery mount, but that wouldn't be necessary in every case. In my case, I needed to move my front battery strap back so it wouldn't slip off the point where the wire leads come out of the pack.

My only real complaints so far:
-The manual. My biggest complaint, so that's a kind of a plus too
-That canopy fitment. wth? I think a wider canopy is in order, but I've gotten much better at the install. Takes less than 10 seconds now.
-ESC wires could have been a couple inches longer to make wire routing a little easier.
-My motor gets hot in a flight, and the ESC gets warmer than I expected. I'm not comfortable doing back-to-back flights, but I'm the cautious sort. I haven't check the temps yet, but hot to the touch. I can leave my fingers on it, but would prefer not to...
-With stock suggested settings, tail kick in IU1 when the headspeed jumps. This can be tuned out, I just haven't yet. I'm not a crack 3d flyer, so not a big deal during actual flight (sport - rolls, loops, some inverted flight). I like this headspeed otherwise.
-I bought mine BEFORE the free blades and battery deals :-(
lineus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in