Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 03:17 AM   #101 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Bob I started flying helis late in life 2 yrs ago. I'm now 57 and will fly till I die. I flew hanggliders for 8 yrs. in the 70s and quit flying to start a family. My brother flys a gyrocopter and ultralite plane. One day he gave me an Exceed Eagle 50. This thing was a piece of junk but I was hooked. Of course this led to watching pilots on the internet fly these wonderful machines. The first hot pilot I came across was Alan Szabo. This was like pouring gas on a fire for me. Ok here we go on that journey where you want a bigger and bad to the bone machine. Myself a man with a modest budget, I bought an RTF Thunder Tiger Mini Titan. Never again RTF after gyro change to Spartan and cf blades with KBDD on the tail, I finally had myself a pretty good flying machine. Here we go again. I came into some money and decided to order a Trex 550e and a DX8. With a great deal of knowledge I gained from you, the build went very well and I now have a solid heli. Thank you so much for what you do for us. When I do go to my club and pull out my 550, I'll have to say I'm really proud of it. One thing I would like to add. Not only do I have an awesome time flying at the club, the people are some of the nicest you will meet anywhere. I'm the only heli member at my club. I've noticed that some heli pilots are so machoed up that even the mention of flying planks sends them into a negative whirlwind. I started flying planks back in June and love it. Like you said, it's all about the fun. You ARE true to the RC helicopter hobby. I feel like there should be a statue of you at the front entrance of the AMA headquarters for your devotion to the cause. I will be on the heli line at the Joe Nall. Sure hope to see you there. Don't forget to bring your Eflite heli.
helikat is offline        Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #102 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have a MCPX that i fly religiously.... great learning tool but it sure does get boring after a few flights. I fly my 600 like a glass slipper and i have a ton of fun flying it with just basic sport flying (loops, rolls, inverted etc.). I fly it like a glass slipper because i am terrified of crashing it and spending the time and money fixing it. I am more courageous with my 500 and 450.
blueprint is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 06:04 AM   #103 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi Bob,

I just want to say that I agree with you 100%. I have been into this hobby for a couple of years and I've leant that you have to be brave and take some risks or you flying wont improve. Your videos have been inspirational for me. When I built my Trex 600 N based on your videos, I took it to the field and it hovered perfectly first time - THANKS TO YOU. I am the type of guy that always wants to know the logic behind why we need to do this or that - your videos and this site has always answered my questions and beyond.

Keep up the great work!
Baja-King is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #104 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Smile I agree having fun is what it is all about

Been on and off for 3 years trying to fly my b400 did upgrades crashing i unstand as part of the learning process but frustration puts a damper in the whole process, then I got the MCPx had it for two months plus 4 batteries am now tring to learn flips and having fun, fun, fun doing it, this little bird just keeps going and makes me want to get the b400 going again
Old 01-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #105 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I've noticed that some heli pilots are so machoed up that even the mention of flying planks sends them into a negative whirlwind
Ignore them.
Such behavior suggests insecurity regarding, well, any one of a number of things. Behaving in a manner where someone feels an urge to show to others just how manly they are regarding model airplanes and model helicopters suggests a tragic deficit and/or insecurity about themselves in shall I say,'personal' areas. This is how they were born,it's a genetic thing.
You're right in saying FUN is the idea. 'Planks' is a word I'll never use. It's disparging and to me it comes across as snide and ignorant.
Obviously we all love helicopters or we wouldn't be doing this insane hobby, but more of us started flying r/c airplanes than didn't.
A reality check is that sure, helis are wonderfully versatile with their hovering capability, have saved countless lives, etc. but as far as "things that fly" go there's plenty that they can't do and never will do in their current form.
Like fly 500 people 5000 miles at 500 mph, or cruise at supersonic speeds armed to the teeth. As far as V/STOL goes the gap is seriously narrowing and the lines are getting blurred.
Watch video of the V/STOL version of the new strike fighter. Supersonic to boot.Can take/off and land in it's own shadow.
"Plank?"
'Fun' is what the main theme should be. I don't know what I'd do without this hobby, the satisfaction I get from it even feels like a necessity sometimes. Maybe it is.
I've gotten a ton of fun out of 'planks' too, and as long as I'm physically able I'll always fly,and love, both. Doug
Old 01-24-2012, 01:08 AM   #106 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thanks

Finless, thanks for posting this. I just ran across it and am glad I listened. The wife laughed at you talking with your hands. Any way I have been thinking about getting one of the Walkera Genius helis but did not want to have to use another radio. I, like you, do not care about what other people are saying about I am flying as long as I am enjoying flying. I have been spending some time flying my Pantera 50 lately but am more nervous because of the cost to replace parts. Thus, I am not as brave to trying new things like I am with my clone 450. This is one of the reason I have been looking at the Genius. Thanks for giving your honest opinion about this heli. Now, I wish I had the funds to get one.
On a side note, I picked up a fixed pitch inexpensive heli for my daughter (10 Y/O) who wants to fly. I will tell you one thing, I enjoy flying this heli because I am not concerned about it costing me $200 or more if I crash. I just wish it was CP and not FP. Must get my hand on a Genius now. Keep up the great work you do for this hobby. Todd
tealc is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #107 (permalink)
Registered Users

I left the hobby 2 years ago, could barely hover my B400 and was to scared to fly my Trex 500. A friend that started flying with me at same time stayed with it, and showed me his MCPX that he's been raving about. I was pretty impressed, I was even more impressed when he handed me the Tx. I was able to get it to hover after a few tries. Next day I went and bought one, a week later I got a second one!!!!

BTW...I got the 500 because of the "get a real Heli" remarks I got at the LHS everytime I went there for help. Someone here got a really good deal on a never hovered 500.
sunmariner21 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 07:37 AM   #108 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Interesting

Hi Bob, thanks for all that you do for this hobby. You and Jasmine have helped me immensely with your videos.

I got started with this stuff a long time ago with a Cox .049 powered model that was a Christmas present when I was 7. I built and flew many u-control planes while growing up. As a kid I was always fascinated any time I would see an RC model flying around. It wasn't until I was an adult that I could afford one, and I found that I was still just as fascinated with these things as I was as a kid.

My first foray into the world of RC helicopters was a DuBro 505 Whirlybird. My second was a Hirobo Falcon 505. I had no help other than what I could get at the hobby shop and no one at the flying fields had heli's, so I was pretty much on my own.

Helicopters ended up frustrating me so I moved back to fixed wing aircraft, built and flew several over the years, but then kinda drifted away from the hobby for the past 20 years.

FF to today...

The technology in today's RC models has come so far that it's truly amazing. It was a silly little Airhog that got me back into this stuff - about a year ago. From there it was only a matter of time...

Let's see, the list.

Blade SR, mSR, Walkera V120D05, Blade mCPX (x3), Trex 250 SE, Trex 450 Pro, Trex 700E, a 450 clone, a used 250 I converted to FBL....and a Goblin on preorder. I'd say I'm pretty much hooked again. Oh, and both Phoenix and RealFlight sims - wow, what a tool I only dreamed about back in the day!

Nowadays I've joined a real RC club and occasionally fly at that field, which is really nice and has all the amenities - even a couple pro heli pilots who are always willing to help. I tend to fly more often at a vacant field that is closer to home and attracts other RC flyers for the same reason. At neither field have I yet heard anyone put down anyone else's birds. Come to think of it, I don't believe anyone back in the day ever put down what someone else was flying - on the contrary - most of the time when someone would show up with something offbeat, it would pique the curiosity of everyone else at the field, along with the ooh's and ahh's when something impressed them.

So, regarding your video - along with everyone else in this thread I have to agree with you, fly what makes you happy. Yeah, I'm guilty of flying the 700 "like a glass slipper" and I beat the hell out of the 450's and 250's and mCPX's - and myself on occasion, lol (see the safety forum). But I'm having FUN doing it. Even if all I'm doing is slow figure 8's with the 700, you know it's got the adrenaline rushing and when I set it down without breaking anything it's just as satisfying as pulling off some intense aerobatics with the 450. But again, it's all about having fun and flying what makes you happy.

For me, all of them do that.
ProtoDewd is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #109 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thanks for the affirmation Bob!

What? What blasphemy hast thou spoken Bob? Repent! Repent I say! take up thy 700 which hast been adorned with bling and smite the very air to which your words were uttered! Do this, or risk being banned from the fraternal brotherhood of sheeple forever!

You will pay ridiculous prices to have fun! You must own and fly 2 of whatever wins the XFC and must equip said machines exactly as the pro did! You will do this and you will like it! Pay no attention to the fools flying less popular products for they know not what they do. Do not be fooled into thinking that those smiles on their faces are genuine! You must follow the path which the great sheeple before you have ordained!

Excellent video Bob!

*** Edit *** no offense meant toward anyone flying the latest greatest fully adorned stuff if you are in fact enjoying it immensely. The whole point of Bob's rant was about flying whatever cranks your handle. It's the fun factor that should be the most important thing when a hobby is concerned.
Saved to the uttermost!!!
forvols is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #110 (permalink)
Registered Users

like the rant it was so true bc i built a align 600 n pro and had so much money in it i was afraid to fly it and so after like 2 years of owning it i have only put about 2 gallons through it but i just got a hobbyking 450 (trex clone) i only have like $140 in it an i fly it like theres no tomorow and i love it...
razer t-rex is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #111 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Bob,
Thanks for posting the "Ramblings" ( I love older Zeppelin too), don't you dare have any second thoughts about it....I started in with RC Helis in 2006, and had the pleasure of clicking onto your "how to solder a Deans connector video", and I've been a devout follower of all things Helifreak and Finless Bob ever since. You have helped literally thousands of hobbyists with a very technically challenging subject over the years, and your genuine enthusiasm and interest in helping others and sharing information oozes all through these videos. I certainly would hope that by this time, RC Heli designers and manufacturers would welcome your thoughts, opinions, and suggestions to improve their products, and if you were to benefit by some complimentary gear in the process, so be it and good for you....Your unselfish time to review, assemble, troubleshoot problems, and suggest workarounds for some design short-comings should be appreciated by both manufacturers and Hobby shops alike...Your videos and threads here and other places only add to the enjoyment that many hobbyists would otherwise not have if the information wasn't presented in such a concise, clear way with the "off the cuff" Finless Bob style!
Long story short, I started with a Blade CX2, then "progressed" to a Trex 450 (thank you for the in depth build videos), then set off on trying a full size Tigre 50 Nitro, only to screw it into the ground for the 4th( and probably final time) last fall...Since then, Helis have progressed and improved, and last fall after the Tigre chicken danced, I went to my LHS and picked up a BNF Mcpx....Like you, I have gotten much more quality stick time, not worrying about killing this little thing....I have learned more in 3-4 short months with the Mcpx than I did with the past 2-3 years with the Trex and Tigre50...I totally concur with the need for not showing my testerone with a bigger, blinged out, yada yada yada 50 size, 600, 700, etc!!!!
I'll probably wind up with 1 or 2 more Mcpx's so that I can always have one spare back-up waiting ready alert to go, and probably do one semi-scale with a Huey body on it to fly in front of the bigscreen while watching Apocalypse Now (for that true3D movie effect)! Then the Van Halen-esque "beater 450" that we all have that looks like his old put together Charvel Strat will be my "big Heli"....
So, in other words, Thanks for the stream of consciousness that in these tough economic times, more people should really be enjoying more flying fun for less, not looking for status by flying bigger, more costly to crash stuff.....If it puts a smile on your face at the end of the day, who cares?
And, by the way....It was very fitting and appropriate to film your hand gestures in the video.....It is your persona and calling card, if you will.....

Keep up the great work, and know that you have a lot more fans than detractors!

Viva la Finless!!!!! May he forever hover upright or inverted!!!

Thanks again, sir!
Dr.Franz in NJ
Assistant to the assistant manure spreader at Middle Creek Stables, LLC
VonRecktofen is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #112 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Thanks, Bob

If it's too much to fry, it's too much to fly.
I got into this hobby to walk the line between adrenaline and serotonin.
There's something to be said for being able to crash and laugh, rather than cry.
To hit the ground without having to hit the bench.
To buy your parts out of pocket change, not your savings.

Like Bob, I find myself doing more time on the bargain stuff.
Why? Because I risk crashing all week for cash.
I fly to relax, or maybe "recreate" is the better word.

Thanks again, Bob, for putting it out there!
Blade-T-Rex-Tarot- 450 and under-DX6-AMA#977655
intro is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #113 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 Bob! I could't agree more. When a hobby is no longer enjoyable, then it is no longer a hobby. I don't care if I don't have the fanciest or the most expensive because I'm out to have a good time.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #114 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=DVUSHELI;3343441]I don't know WHO ragged on Bob about getting free helis and that's why he does the videos, but that person needs to be slapped!!!! For all the information this man has provided all of us, spending HIS own personal free time to do build vids, responding to personal emails to people he may not know at all, like myself..thanks again Bob, and just basically loving this hobby to his fullest, HELL YEA he deserves to get free stuff for the amount of "charitable" contributions he's given us!!!! He could've been a selfish A-hole and posted his vids and made us all pay for them or join his personal website and become members or some shit like that!!!!
I dunno about all of you, but I'm certainly greatful
+100 %

[SIZE=3]Thanks Bob[QUOTE]
jamesmansell is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #115 (permalink)
Registered Users

You're not losing it at all Bob.

The whole hypes around certain brands or types of helicopters is pretty much just stupid.

You're so right about not taking risks, the good old glass slipper argument. Obviously it's all about fun and getting that adrenaline rush certainly comes from taking risks, at least for me.

But I don't agree with your toy helicopter argument though and never did. The face of the hobby has been changed right when the first Ready to Fly and Bind and Fly products showed up. This was even clearer to notice when it comes to airplanes and now RC helicopters seem to have fully caught up.

Blade/E-flite/Esky/Walkera, they basically all have been at the point they are now for quite a while already. I'm talking years. Yes, the carbon torque tube stuff from Walkera in the older models used to be fragile. And yes, some of the parts still are, but more and more became replaced by metal (rotor heads on even the smallest helicopters).

Lately, the whole flybarless revolution and the use of more durable materials really kick-started the coming of far better flying helicopters, especially true for Walkera.

More 3D capable than ever before too, which shouldn't be that much of a surprise.

But all these brands have been quite okey and affordable trainer type brands for beginners for ages now. Yes, they are never truly Ready to Fly out of the box, but that's an entirely different discussion in my humble opinion.

I'm pretty sure we can all agree that some helicopters, like the Esky Belt CP v2 or Blade 400, aren't exactly the best most stable flying helicopters that a beginner should be starting with. A Trex 450 Sport or Pro, because of it's overall design... not it's "quality", will fly about 10 times more stable. But if they are going to crash they might as well crash on the cheap. Better yet, once they can fly the Belt CP v2, they can literally fly any helicopter because they will be easier and more stable.

Not to mention that new wave of helicopters recently (MCPX, Genius CP, Mini CP) that are so lightweight and durable that a beginner can afford quite some mistakes before they need spare parts to begin with.

When it comes to having fun it's very important to start with stable helicopters, but it's not like beginners won't ever crash a brand-name helicopter thats supposed to be of ultimately significantly better quality.

The thing to STILL remember is that quality products ultimately will cost good money (and no I don't mean basically overpriced Horizon Hobby products here, although the Blade 450X seems like a good step forward). This isn't actually mutually exclusive with the cheaper stuff becoming better by the day.
PHeMoX is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #116 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the video, Bob.
Since you're talking to Walkera, maybe you could suggest that the proprietary transmitter thing is a bad idea.
Blade-T-Rex-Tarot- 450 and under-DX6-AMA#977655

Last edited by intro; 03-18-2012 at 10:51 AM..
intro is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #117 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob you need to start your own radio show. People would tune in all day!
hga77 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #118 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New to the Hobby

Bob,

I am new to the Hobby since Jan. I have an mCPx and I fly it all the time. It has helped me getr the feel of flying. IT IS FUN!!! Your videos have helped me LEARN!!! THANKS!!! I now have some new friends in my flying club that are helping me go to the next level but I will continue to have Lost of different Heli's that are fun! I would like to thank everyone who has helped me.

Mark in Wisconsin
mpolzin is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #119 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by intro View Post
Thanks for the video, Bob.
Since you're talking to Walkera, maybe you could suggest that the proprietary transmitter thing is a bad idea.
I tend to disagree as their transmitters are becoming better each day. I'm loving the heck out of my Devo 8 and receivers are cheap.
PHeMoX is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #120 (permalink)
Registered Users

so true bob.

thanks!

i have a henseleit and just bought a goblin , damn , if i saw your video earlier i bought a funcopter and sold the henseleit.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in