Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > DJI Multirotor Support > Flamewheel Multirotor Support

Flamewheel Multirotor Support Flamewheel Multirotor Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default DJI450/Naza new build

I finished a new build this afternoon with the DJI450 frame, with one of the old 2200mh 3S packs I did 9 minutes of basic hovering and check of the controls in the back yard. I also hovered it about a metre from the ground and turned the Tx off, it went into failsafe mode and auto landed and turned the motors off a few seconds after landing, pretty happy with that.

Looks like the new 1100kv motors with 9x4.7 props is more efficient as I had hoped, control is solid as well, ESC's were cold as was the battery at the completion of the 9 minutes.

The DJi Flamewheel frame is very easy to put together as others have shown with their full build videos, it has an inbuilt power distro on the lower deck, this makes the install of all the gear in between the decks very easy, I have added a 500 size heli skid to keep it up out of the dirt and grass and have added a housing for my GoPro camera but hope to be able to add a small pitch and roll mount to use this feature of the Naza.

Naza setup is standard out of the box settings at the moment, I have the att and manual mode adjustable via the gear switch.

New motors are Turnigy D2830-11 1000kv's, old motors were same series in a 1450kv version with 8 inch props.

Props are Slow Fly Electric 9047 in green and black, they are Gemfan branded and very close to balance out of the pack.

ESC's are Hobbywing Funfly 18 amp, all of them have the positive lead disconnected.

Spektrum DX8 Tx and AR8000 Rx

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DJI450-1.jpg (132.1 KB, 4022 views)
petedee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks good pete, what heli gear is that? Been thinking about doing the same thing.
sugs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 05:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Naza & the Spektrum

I noticed petedee you have a Naza talking to a Spektrum radio just wondering is there something I am missing as when I go into the setup assistant it talks about putting your transmitter in acrobatic mode ?? Which I cannot find any settings to do this step ?

I noticed that the receiver has no power to it so I am unable to calibrate anything too.

I have downloaded the drivers & registered with Naza using a standard Acro on the radio also disconnected the red wire on the ESC which I think is odd and cant find anything much on what I may have done wrong any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
quad2quad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 01:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugs View Post
Looks good pete, what heli gear is that? Been thinking about doing the same thing.
This one is a from one of the Hobby King 500's, cost was about $5 for the for the skid pipes and supports, just added it to my last order, very strong as well.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad2quad View Post
I noticed petedee you have a Naza talking to a Spektrum radio just wondering is there something I am missing as when I go into the setup assistant it talks about putting your transmitter in acrobatic mode ?? Which I cannot find any settings to do this step ?

I noticed that the receiver has no power to it so I am unable to calibrate anything too.

I have downloaded the drivers & registered with Naza using a standard Acro on the radio also disconnected the red wire on the ESC which I think is odd and cant find anything much on what I may have done wrong any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
It simply means Airplane (acro) or Heli mode, you can use either but I think I prefer acro mode just a little more than heli mode. The setting will be under model type, what radio do you have?

The VU unit must have the red and black wire connected up to your battery power, the VU unit then supplies BEC power to the MU and through that to the Rx. You must have your battery connected to program the unit, make sure you have props off or one lead disconnected from each motor in case they start unexpectedly.

Let me know how you go.

Pete
Old 04-29-2012, 04:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Will a 5000mah battery be to much for this with a gopro attached

Cheers brad
Brad_striker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 01:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

It would lift it just fine and be very stable, my all up weight is around 1.2kg with GoPro but I know others are lifting more than 1.5Kg with a similar configuration, with a 5000mh pack it will probably be only 1.5-1.7Kg I would think.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for that Petedee I have progressed a little further nice picture of your recent addition to your Quad family.

Just want to know if your settings are on the radio mine being a Spektrum DX8 I have set it up in the Naza software assistant as

Throttle = Normal
Rudder = Reversed
Elevator = Normal
Ailerons = Reversed

I suspect I have issues with the ESC as I am running Turnigy Dlux 70Amp ESC (yeah Huge but part of a bigger project)

Currently rechecking the settings on the ESC as it seems like one motors (Turnigy SK3 920KV) seems reluctant to play and spins up but not enough to correct it before it trys to flip.

Motor sequence is correct Direction & props have been rechecked like about 10 times but I also notice some ESC are not compatible with the Naza.

I also have some RCTIMER 40 Amp ESC's that I may swap over if I cant get it to work would really like your input or thoughts about why I am still grounded ?

Anyways just a side note A huge thanks to yourself (Petedee) plus Tahoe Ed I have read a lot of your posts & you guys and many others are way too cool a big thumbs up from me

Oh and thanks again guys
Old 05-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is some video in the back yard.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmUiCFs9bus[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2TqP_kn_k8[/ame]
Old 05-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks for that Petedee I have progressed a little further nice picture of your recent addition to your Quad family.

Just want to know if your settings are on the radio mine being a Spektrum DX8 I have set it up in the Naza software assistant as

Throttle = Normal
Rudder = Reversed
Elevator = Normal
Ailerons = Reversed

I suspect I have issues with the ESC as I am running Turnigy Dlux 70Amp ESC (yeah Huge but part of a bigger project)

Currently rechecking the settings on the ESC as it seems like one motors (Turnigy SK3 920KV) seems reluctant to play and spins up but not enough to correct it before it trys to flip.

Motor sequence is correct Direction & props have been rechecked like about 10 times but I also notice some ESC are not compatible with the Naza.

I also have some RCTIMER 40 Amp ESC's that I may swap over if I cant get it to work would really like your input or thoughts about why I am still grounded ?

Anyways just a side note A huge thanks to yourself (Petedee) plus Tahoe Ed I have read a lot of your posts & you guys and many others are way too cool a big thumbs up from me

Oh and thanks again guys
Always my pleasure to pass on any info I can.

Same settings as I use on my DX8 so should be okay.

You can get variations in motors and ESC's, best thing to do is to swap the motors and ESC's around and isolate if you have a dud unit, if you have a programming card make sure it is not set to super soft start or something similar.

If you have not done so already I find that running the calibration individually the best way.

I have some cheap SS ESC's that don't work with the Naza, the Naza needs ESC's with higher timing rate.

The RC Timer ESC's appear to be same as the HobbyWing's, would be worth giving them a try I think, those 70A units are pretty hefty.

Cheers.

Pete
Old 05-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by petedee View Post
This one is a from one of the Hobby King 500's, cost was about $5 for the for the skid pipes and supports, just added it to my last order, very strong as well.
Thanks for the suggestion Pete. I picked up a set of gear for the Align Trex 600 and put it on today. Plenty of room for a camera now.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looking forward to seeing some photo's then.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Sweet

Got airborne today finally after many crashes different boards quads etc etc.

Thanks for your input with the radio settings it was yet another process of elimination.

Found some odd settings in the ESC which is baffling as I had set them all the same & yet 2 had some different settings.

Anyways only a short flight & pretty sure I fried a motor due to the fact of a heavy quad (2kgs) will have to scale things down I guess.

One motor makes a nice whine when its under load now but it is a Turnigy SK3 Aerodrive which I have had nothing but grief with these motors a total of 4 dead now 3 on Arrival out of 7 go Hobbyking hey

Love the video cant believe the cat is so calm but known Canberra its probably too cold to move

Thanks again you guys have helped us Quaddies heaps
Old 05-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by petedee View Post
Looking forward to seeing some photo's then.
I'll try and get a photo sometime this weekend.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Got airborne today finally after many crashes different boards quads etc etc.

Thanks for your input with the radio settings it was yet another process of elimination.

Found some odd settings in the ESC which is baffling as I had set them all the same & yet 2 had some different settings.

Anyways only a short flight & pretty sure I fried a motor due to the fact of a heavy quad (2kgs) will have to scale things down I guess.

One motor makes a nice whine when its under load now but it is a Turnigy SK3 Aerodrive which I have had nothing but grief with these motors a total of 4 dead now 3 on Arrival out of 7 go Hobbyking hey

Love the video cant believe the cat is so calm but known Canberra its probably too cold to move

Thanks again you guys have helped us Quaddies heaps
Bad luck with the motors, I am running Turnigy motors and they have been excellent so far but they are not the aerodrives.

Did you watch long enough to see him fall out of the tree?

Not so cold yet but it will get colder......
Old 05-03-2012, 05:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Sox do fall down

Your right I didnt see the rest of the video I was in a hurry to go to work (which is odd)

But all I can say is the quad is real stable if it was me flying I think you would know I was laughing when the cat was doing his Tarzan thing falling out of the tree.

Too funny.

I hope to post some video soon just have to wait for my motors

Cheers for now

Old 05-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

It wasn't well edited, just wanted to get something up. Hopefully the weather will be good Sunday morning, a group of us fly at one of the local fields Sunday mornings so hopefully get some better footage.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here ya go Pete. Camera is a cheap Vivitar that I just picked up to experiment with.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for posting these, great to see other DJI450's.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

heres my vc 450 with the dji naza. i love this quad but my flight times are about 4.30 mins. i would like to get longer flight times. i am running the gaui 330xs motors and gaui 330xs 10 amp escs with 9x4.5 slow flyer apc props. any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2451.jpg (53.9 KB, 46 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in