Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > nano CP X Brushless Mods

nano CP X Brushless Mods Blade nano CP X Brushless Mods Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2015, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Beware eflite Y Harness connectors

Hi all,

Not likely that this advice will actually help anyone, but at least its a bit of a funny story.

I bought several of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/361152607778 simply for a source of both male and female eflite 1S battery connectors (what the hell are these connectors called?)

I am working on a Dbl BL mod for my brother, and I decided I could use the female piece of this Y connector as the new battery lead. I was at the stage of flashing an XP3a, which requires a 1S lipo to be connected, so I soldered the connector to my XP3a temporarily to perform the flash.

So I hooked up a 1S lipo and to my suprise the ESC was immediately engulfed in smoke, with half-melted FETs literally dropping off of it onto my bare feet (ouch!). I looked over the wreckage trying to figure out what had gone wrong, but my wiring looked totally fine.

I decided to do what I definitely should have done to begin with, and check the polarity of the connector using a voltmeter. THE LEAD'S POLARITY IS REVERSED!

Now I don't know if this is intended for this product, but I can't imagine why it would be. Seems dangerous to have reversed connectors floating around that still interface with the standard 1S batteries.

Anyway, if you have these connectors make sure to double check the polarity... If not, well hopefully this was worth a chuckle
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2015, 10:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Could it be it was a y connector wired in series and not in parallel
rosebomb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2015, 05:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a similar shock, but got lucky.. I bought a cheap mini quadcopter from the LHS on a whim. It has a 1s 160mah battery with the same 'eflite' (no idae what they're called either) connector. Great, thinks I, I've got other batteries that fit it and my eflite portable chargers. The quadcopter came with a mains charger.

It was only the fact that my mate wanted to see it in the house that made me put the battery on my desk charger. Glad I did, as the polarity of the battery connector was reversed! Happily I got a warning on the screen but that would have ended differently if I'd used the battery on one of my little planes or slapped it on the eflite charger. Or if I'd used the mains charger to charge my existing lipos.

Worth checking in future I reckon
p0ng0 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in