Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics

JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics JR and Spektrum Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 03:53 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Depends on the pack.

A BIG pack may be able to deliver that for a while.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 07:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

If I purchase a high dollar servo such as the JR 3500G and it says on the packaging to run it only @ 4.8V, guess what? I'm going to run it at 4.8V! That's means I'm going to buy a simple Align 5.1V step-down and plug it between the gyro and servo, end of story! Piece of mind and reliability are paramount in this hobby and listening to a manufacturer about the specs of their products is absolutely vital to achieving that. So maybe you can run it at 6v regulated, but why chance it when all you have to do is buy a simple step-down!
toyturbo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2009, 05:32 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

So why aren't you stepping it down to 4.8 volts? 5.1 is higher than that?

And where does it say to not run at 6 volts? It only shows no rating for 6 volt operation.

But it is a fine servo at 4.8 volts (really most setups put out 5.0 - 5.2 volts anyway).
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Old 02-12-2009, 10:19 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

On the package it says "for 4.8v use only". And the 5.1v step-down is what they sell, they don't have a 4.8v step-down, doesn't exist. The tolerable limit is between 4.8v-5.1v
Old 02-14-2009, 12:55 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Since a 4.8 volt pack is about 5.8 off the charger, aren't you worried?

And remember, when they say 4.8 volts for a servo, they really mean a 4 cell NiCd or NiMH pack, which is 4.8 - 5.8 volts depending on lavel of charge.

As I am the one normally trying to argue against running out of spec, they only reason I am on this side is based on talking with JR person at the Toledo show. And I will bring it up again this year at Toledo.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Old 02-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

4.8v to 5.8v sustained, having a battery fresh off the charger @ 5.8v is okay because obviously the voltage drops from there so there isn't much stress to the servo. I guess it would be damaging if the voltage was above 5.8v for long periods of time. Any way you put it, it's your money and your equipment, you treat it how you wish, I'm just stating my preference and opinion on how I do things...
Old 03-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default voltage regulator

This hot off the press, I just spoke with jeff at horizon hobby about the same problem, I was having a twitch in the the tail (not a wag). He stated "I am getting to great of a voltage to the tail servo from the align 35 amp rce which requires a step down regulator" . He suggested the align 5.8 -5.1v step down regulator part no.-AGNK 10381A price $6.99 that connects via the tail rotor pig tail, ie. directly from the gyro plug. I have'nt tried it yet but it seems to be a reasonably priced repair. I will repost my results after trying it and let you know the results.Hmmmm-$6.99 or $84.99, I know which amount I'm spending! Also the maximum voltage this servo is designed for is 5.2v anything over that over drives the servo, and I hate that smell!

Last edited by bchrny; 03-25-2011 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: more info
bchrny is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

So one more time, that means you CANNOT run it off a 4 cell Rx pack, as they put out 5.7 - 5.8 volts when fully charged.

I have asked JR at several shows and have ALWAYS gotten the same answer, that 6 volts regulated is fine.

And BTW, I run the 3500 on my Trex 450 tail at 6 volts regulated. Without problems.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Old 03-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #29 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
So one more time, that means you CANNOT run it off a 4 cell Rx pack, as they put out 5.7 - 5.8 volts when fully charged.

I have asked JR at several shows and have ALWAYS gotten the same answer, that 6 volts regulated is fine.

And BTW, I run the 3500 on my Trex 450 tail at 6 volts regulated. Without problems.

Now I'm confused.. You say CANNOT run on 4 cell that outputs 5.7v - 5.8v at full charge but you can run at 6v regulated ? That does not make any sense to me. I understand the voltage of a 4.8v rx pack is higher at full charge (5.7-5.8) but how can running 6v regulated be acceptable when its higher voltage ?

Last edited by Socal500; 03-17-2012 at 01:45 PM..
Socal500 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
I was told the 3500G is fine at 6 volts REGULATED.

6 volts for flight gear, really means a 5 cell NiCd/NiMH pack, which is more like 6.8 - 7 volts hot off the charger. 4.8 means 4 cell, which is 5.7 or so hot off the charger.

So the 3500G is not rated to 5 cells. But 6 volts regulated would be OK.

This is the same for some other servos, Futaba S9252s for instance.
Same information I got from Horizon since I'm running 6.0 volts out of the ESC on my little T-Rex. It's fine at 6.0 volts but no more, haven't had any issues with mine either.
zeb29 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 04:34 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal500 View Post
Now I'm confused.. You say CANNOT run on 4 cell that outputs 5.7v - 5.8v at full charge but you can run at 6v regulated ? That does not make any sense to me. I understand the voltage of a 4.8v rx pack is higher at full charge (5.7-5.8) but how can running 6v regulated be acceptable when its higher voltage ?
No, I was pointing out that people who say you can only run at 4.8 volts regulated are wrong, as a 4 cell pack (nominal 4.8 volts) is almost 6 volts fully charged.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in