Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > MSH Mini Protos

MSH Mini Protos MSH Mini Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2016, 01:14 PM   #21 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
Checked my pinion height...if I look at the pinion and where the grooves start and stop, my belt crosses almost exactly in the middle of that area. This is good, right? The motor shaft sticks up above the pinion about 3mm.
I'll check the 3mm part tonight. I believe the intent is to have the flat section of the pinion, which is above the transition from perfectly round to geared, line up with the pulleys.

On mine it looked like the belt was partially riding on that transition section which likely caused it to wear and look ratty.

Rick
rdlohr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2016, 01:18 PM   #22 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by learnedthehardway View Post
Interesting, 16t dropped right in on mine. Pulled off and tossed the bearing eating Y support bracket and the pinion slid on with ease.
Hmmm, maybe I should also toss the Y. I was a bit concerned that it is causing undue stress on the motor anyway. I assume its intent was to hold things in place with the original OWB that I replaced with a hard pinion.

Rick
Old 08-31-2016, 07:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah was there because the pinions with a owb don't have a grub screw while the solid pinion has 2.

Getting rid of the owb plus the y support and its little bearing greatly reduced the cost and frequency of maintenance, pretty much eliminated it.

At least it seems that way so far. Went through 2 Y support bearings and a owb in around 50 flights, close to 200 trouble free flights since installing the solid pinion and chucking the Y support.

If the pinion screws still hit the bolt heads, maybe a couple pan head style bolts will give you enough clearance to use 4 bolts to hold the motor?
Old 08-31-2016, 07:17 PM   #24 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by learnedthehardway View Post
Yeah was there because the pinions with a owb don't have a grub screw.

Getting rid of the owb plus the y support and its little bearing greatly reduced the cost and frequency of maintenance, pretty much eliminated it.

At least it seems that way so far. Went through 2 Y support bearings and a owb in around 50 flights, close to 200 trouble free flights since installing the solid pinion and chucking the Y support.

If the pinion screws still hit the bolt heads, maybe a couple pan head style bolts will give you enough clearance to use 4 bolts to hold the motor?
Good thought. I'll look around for some.
Rick
Old 08-31-2016, 07:43 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Checked my pinion height...if I look at the pinion and where the grooves start and stop, my belt crosses almost exactly in the middle of that area. This is good, right? The motor shaft sticks up above the pinion about 3mm.
Sounds right to me but I don't have anything to measure how much mine sticks out atm. As long as it rides above the shred zone with a little buffer you should be fine.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:13 PM   #26 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Mine is definitely over three, maybe closer to 5. I'll measure it when I yank the A frame. Had to work on a big order tonight so I didn't have any wrench time.

Rick
Old 09-01-2016, 03:36 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rick
Any chance of a pic of your pinion height - it doesn't sound right. Mine rides small in the middle of the solid pinion.

The pinion is sitting on the shoulder of the motor shaft properly isn't it is the pinion should slip over the shoulder.....
Cheers
Mike
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2016, 06:06 AM   #28 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Rick
Any chance of a pic of your pinion height - it doesn't sound right. Mine rides small in the middle of the solid pinion.

The pinion is sitting on the shoulder of the motor shaft properly isn't it is the pinion should slip over the shoulder.....
Cheers
Mike
Thanks Mike. I'll try to post before and after pictures tonight.
Rick
Old 09-01-2016, 04:12 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlohr View Post
Mine is definitely over three, maybe closer to 5. I'll measure it when I yank the A frame. Had to work on a big order tonight so I didn't have any wrench time.

Rick
After actually getting into it and measuring, mine is closer to 5mm as well. Can't really get a micrometer in there, but that is very close.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2016, 05:36 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
To lower the pinion, I had to drill it out to allow it to go further onto the shaft. Then the set screws in the pinion started hitting two out of the four motor hold down screws so I removed them. Not too happy holding down the motor with only two screws. Anybody else play this game?

Rick
The Gaui X3 (designed for way more power than the mini prôtos) holds the motor with 2 screws, so I'd guess it would be fine on the mini prôtos.
The motor mounts look pretty similar too : http://www.gaui.com.tw/product/x3-bo...-mount-silver/

As for the pinion height, I use a warp 16t pinion which is much larger so I can't really relate to the issue (also it's a 4mm shaft so no A frame).
Aryemis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2016, 05:53 AM   #31 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryemis View Post
The Gaui X3 (designed for way more power than the mini prôtos) holds the motor with 2 screws, so I'd guess it would be fine on the mini prôtos.
The motor mounts look pretty similar too : http://www.gaui.com.tw/product/x3-bo...-mount-silver/

As for the pinion height, I use a warp 16t pinion which is much larger so I can't really relate to the issue (also it's a 4mm shaft so no A frame).
Thanks Aryemis. I was thinking similarly on the two screws.
Rick
Old 09-03-2016, 10:30 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rick,

I snapped a couple of shots of my M-P with the solid pinion..

And one of the 15T pinion that I replaced with a 16T recently - you can see where the belt was running

Cheers,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160903_070222.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	669671   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160903_070238.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	669672   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160903_160714.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	669677  
Old 09-03-2016, 05:03 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

The bottom of the 16t Lynx solid pinion on
mine just clears the top of the motor mounting bolts which have a larger socket style head than most.

I think Mikej is onto something about yours possibly not being oriented on the right part of the shaft. Especially since you mentioned the screws in the pinion hitting the screw heads, mine are recessed in the pinion.

Don't have a micrometer but it the shaft only sticks out of the top about 3mm, pretty much the thickness of the shaft is how far it sticks out.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:06 PM   #34 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

You can see by the slight line on the pinion that the belt used to run much lower on the pinion.

Notice at 3:00 you can see where the grub nut would have hit the hold down screw that is now removed.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MiniP Pinion.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	670130   Click image for larger version

Name:	MiniP Pinion from Top.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	670131  
Old 09-05-2016, 06:29 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Man any place in the US to get the 16T pinion? Seems a little ridiculous to pay $15 shipping direct from lynx.
I'd like to swap out this awful oneway pinion design and ditch that Y support.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:44 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a 17t.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016, 02:06 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

The head of my grub screws sit lower than the rest of the pinion - nothing sticks out the side of the pinion to hit the screws.

Are the grub screws tight? if not it could explain why the heads sit proud and the pinion has moved...
Old 09-06-2016, 05:56 AM   #38 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
The head of my grub screws sit lower than the rest of the pinion - nothing sticks out the side of the pinion to hit the screws.

Are the grub screws tight? if not it could explain why the heads sit proud and the pinion has moved...
Yes, they were tight. It was just too high. So tight now that I stripped the head on one of them so its going to be a pain if I ever have to remove it.

Rick
Old 09-09-2016, 07:18 PM   #39 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1071 View Post
D) you fly so badass that the model just couldn't hold up

Man autoed a mini impressive. My belt just snapped because of that damn one way bearings seizing wrapped around the head and fell from the sky.
I need to pick up that Lynx pinion thIs one way is garbage.
I finally got around to putting on the new belt. As I spun the head without a belt and it spun like a top, I thought about this post and the kudos you gave me that I really did not deserve. Without a belt that head was bound to auto forever. But thanks anyhow for the nice words.

I'll maiden the repair job tomorrow weather permitting. Everything seems nice and smooth and I don't miss the A support even a little. Thanks for all the help everyone. I always feel more confident in a fix after hearing from so many people.

Rick
Old 09-09-2016, 07:40 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I finally got around to putting on the new belt. As I spun the head without a belt and it spun like a top, I thought about this post and the kudos you gave me that I really did not deserve. Without a belt that head was bound to auto forever. But thanks anyhow for the nice words.

I'll maiden the repair job tomorrow weather permitting. Everything seems nice and smooth and I don't miss the A support even a little. Thanks for all the help everyone. I always feel more confident in a fix after hearing from so many people.

Rick
jrman83 hooked me up with a 17t what a guy gotta love heli freakers what a great bunch of people to just sent you a part for nothing
Can't wait to try it out and get rid of that one way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in