Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 120 SR

120 SR Blade (eFlite) 120 SR Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 10:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Question 120 SR DX6i Settings

Is there a definitive list for the settings? Or, is it more a trial and error method?
gcopter1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcopter1 View Post
Is there a definitive list for the settings? Or, is it more a trial and error method?
This may be helpful - and the other posts in that thread --> LINK
Do it safely, do it often, and enjoy it. AMA #20703

Phreak Out is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2010, 12:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have dual rates but I setup my d&g at 100% + 20 expo

I use a positive expo for my throttle curve as well.

Everything else is similar to my mSR
Adidas4275 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

See: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=263862

Rather than providing a recipe of settings it discusses in general terms how to find the best settings for your skill level and adapt them as your skills change.
RoundWing is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm probly the only one here that finds the DX7 transmitter to be . . . nearly overwhelming?

Why izznt there a course/sticky in "total Spetrum noobs for the 120 SR?"

I don't know why Horizon Hobby doesn't just cut to the chase and list the DX7 & DX6i settings for the various heli's (sr, 120 sr, et cetera). I mean, it's not like they don't have the info - WTF don't they publish it to help us out?

Old 12-24-2010, 06:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak Out View Post
I'm probly the only one here that finds the DX7 transmitter to be . . . nearly overwhelming?

Why izznt there a course/sticky in "total Spetrum noobs for the 120 SR?"

I don't know why Horizon Hobby doesn't just cut to the chase and list the DX7 & DX6i settings for the various heli's (sr, 120 sr, et cetera). I mean, it's not like they don't have the info - WTF don't they publish it to help us out?

Because they can't program for everyones preference, perhaps? My DX6i was fairly perfect out of the box to me. That may not be the case with others. There is also a ton of information out there regarding settings. It's also safe to assume one knows how to use these controllers the same way auto dealers sell a car...they don't teach you how to drive it. (Or modify it to your preference)

I'm a heli noob. I've already figured out my DX6i as much as I need to by just simply reading a thread or two in this specific forum. I'm sure a quick search would net a lot of results.
Vagabond is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have settings on this forum which flies the 120 almost exactly the MSR. I didn't have the camera needed to resolve the DX6i screen. Just flip back the pages till you see:" Here are my Dx6i settings which are great". It looks complex in text but its worth it.
singingperry is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you start off with 80% expo and throttle dialed down response and performance will be sluggish and get you into the bad habit of overcorrecting and constantly fighting the pendulum effect of the 45° flybar. Do it in your living room and you'll be bouncing it off the walls and repairing more than flying it.

These things are, out of the box, pretty idiot-proof. In light of that conventional wisdom, much of it coming from learning to fly CP models, doesn't apply and I think the simplest way to find ones comfort level is to find a open space were you you can get it 10-20' up in the air without hitting anything and fly it at 100% without any expo as see what happens. Then from take baseline add expo as needed to find your comfort level. Dialing down power below 100% or using low rate on the 5-in-1 (controlled with Ch.5 GYRO in HELI mode) means less ability to recover when you cut the throttle too much and its heading towards the ground like a rock.

Been there, done that and really didn't grasp how it handled until I got rid of the expo.

Get it up in the air outdoors or in a gym, away from anything it might hit, let go of the sticks and it will hover or drift off slowly once it stabilizes. Trim it for hover then it will only move as fast as you jerk the sticks around so MOVE THE STICKS SLOWLY AT FIRST and surprise! You won't hit anything, will be amazed at how little stick input it takes to move it around and in a very short time you'll be flying instinctively.

If you find that makes sense then you might also find these helpful: - LINK-
Old 12-28-2010, 05:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If I was you, and I'm not, I would find a couple sets of settings that sound reasonable, AND PRINT THEM OUT, before they disappear. Perry's text settings are great settings to start with. And we have them because Dieter did an outstanding pictorial, perry loaded them, dieters settings disappeared, and perry was kind enough to scroll screen by screen and put it into text. find what you might like, print it out and date it, staple it in your log, and then if you ever get around to it, you have it. Thank you perry for improving a few fliers skills with a few simple words, AND A VERY COMPLETE TEXT......

Last edited by Rotorbroke; 12-28-2010 at 05:40 AM.. Reason: eternal pooor spelling from a bearly used mind?????
Rotorbroke is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2010, 12:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

The settings did disappear because they were made by somebody in Germany but I was lucky enough to come across them before they turned into some photo portfolio that had nothing to do with helis.. I'm telling you the settings are excellent, just go for it and work it out. If I can do it you can too. Thank you guys for your support, it is a priveledge to help!
singingperry is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2010, 07:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by singingperry View Post
The settings did disappear because they were made by somebody in Germany but I was lucky enough to come across them before they turned into some photo portfolio that had nothing to do with helis.. I'm telling you the settings are excellent, just go for it and work it out. If I can do it you can too. Thank you guys for your support, it is a priveledge to help!
I hate admitting this but I got a DX7 a few weeks ago and I've never programmed a computer radio (still have two FM four channel radios I use w/planks). I began beeping my way through the menus - getting a bit frustrated with how easy it was to wipe out the settings I just changed - getting a bit lost - blah, blah, blah - for someone who's much more right brain like me, it's more of a challenge to figure out than the left brain folks for sure.

So, how am I flying my 120 SR with my DX7? The only thing I did (that I know of):

1 --> select heli mode (the default on my DX7)
2 --> create a heli name
3 --> select 1 servo swash type

I think that's the only thing I did to my DX7 - and - it worked!!!

Please keep in mind, I'm NOT recommending doing what I did however, if anyone has the same situation as me (DX7, 120 SR & zero experience programming a radio) then this solution will at least "get them started" - it will work and you will be able to start flying your 120 SR w/your DX7. I could only assume something similar will occur if using a DX6i, or whatever.

AND - if you haven't purchased a radio yet, many people with r/c heli experience highly recommend getting the DX7 over the DX6i because, according to them, if you plan on sticking with r/c helis, then you'll most likely be very glad in the future you ended up w/the additional functionality and features of the DX7 and besides, a brand new DX7 can be had for $170 (heli radio, mode 2, no receiver) and used ones are often listed w/receivers in excellent condition for $150 or less.

Let's go flyin' and have fun,

Brad

Old 12-31-2010, 10:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak Out View Post
So, how am I flying my 120 SR with my DX7? The only thing I did (that I know of):

1 --> select heli mode (the default on my DX7)
2 --> create a heli name
3 --> select 1 servo swash type

I think that's the only thing I did to my DX7 - and - it worked!!!
That is all you really need to do to get it a 120SR flying. Some of the HELI menus on Spektrum transmitters don't apply fixed-pitch models. Those that do which allow customization are:

GYRO: Gryo (Ch.5) acts as the on/off switch for the dual rates built into the 5-in-1. Set 0 = 0% and 1 = 100% Then when you flip the GYRO switch up the 5-in-1 kicks into high rate (15% more servo travel and power).

Dual Rate/Expo: "training wheels" for detuning response of the servos, throttle, and sticks around center. Reducing performance leads to the habit of overcorrecting so I recommend flying where you won't hit anything without any as a starting baseline then adding it as you think necessary.

Throttle Curve(s): The default curve is 45° (linear response). I adjust so all my Blade models hover when stick is centered and flatten the center between pos 2 and 3 so I don't affect throttle as much when moving the stick for rudder input. I leave the max at 100%.

Since inverted flight isn't possible (why multiple curves are available on the Tx) set NORM and STUNT identically, same response with either switch position. Some set one lower than the other, but when the model is heading for the ground do you really want less that 100% power?

Sub-Trims: Ideally trimming for cyclic should be done by adjusting links but when ideal trim is between turns of the link you can use sub-trim menu to refine the setting instead of the switches on the console which I found have a habit of hitting and changing without noticing. The sub-trim menu is numeric providing quantitative readout. Both the console switches and the sub-trim menu move the servo link off center but not so much that you notice the difference if the links are adjusted to the nearest turn. 4 units of trim move the link about 1% off center relative to the total travel.

Mixing: In FFF the 120SR has a tendency to roll to the right. That can be mixed out with ELV>AIL mix of R -40 to -60. The mix will automatically at left aileron stick input in FF along the lines of cruise control in a car. That allows flying straight with just elevator and throttle, with aileron turns executed from a centered-stick baseline. If you find the tail deviates in FFF you can also set MIX 2 to ELV>RUD

Like a debate over stick and automatic in cars some thing using mixing like that is a less "pure" form of flying. I don't disagree, I just find it more convenient to fly with mixing. The best way to decide is to try both ways, see if you like mixing, then if you don't turn it off. That can be done by setting the SW parameter to AIL D/R which will make the AIL D/R control mixing on/off.

See: http://super.nova.org/RC/DX6i/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in