Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Nitro Helicopters

700 Class Nitro Helicopters 700 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default new to nitro

Hey guys, I've been flying electric for a little while now and I have the nitro itch. Very few local guys fly nitro, but I'm trying to get as much info as possible.

So I know that I'd want a 700 class. And so far I've been recommended 4 models.
1)Align 700N, they said get an older model and convert to fbl. Parts available everywhere, light airframe.
2)TSA 700N, good parts quality and cheap. Just harder to get parts for.
3)Synergy N7, not much said except "dude those are badass"
4)Gaui NX7, since it would be replacing my X7 airframe, some said it might be nice to stick with Gaui, and it flies great.

Any thoughts? I know I'm going to need a bunch of accessories. But all I really know of is the starter and a fuel pump.

One more question. It seems new models are on par with electrics for cost. But used models sell for pennies on the dollar. Would you recommend new or used for a first nitro?
jmtyndall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2015, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Being this forum is geared primarily towards the T-Rex 700N, you'll no doubt receive most responses pertaining to that model.

Whether you opt for the new 700N DFC kit or the older LE variants, it's a very solid model.

Some equipment you will want to have that is Nitro specific:

1. Glow plug wrench (Or a 1/4" driver screw driver with the appropriate socket).
2. Few spare glow plugs for which ever engine you intend to run.
3. Few feet of medium fuel tubing
4. Fuel pump. There are quite a few cheapy hand pumps that work okay. There are some okay electric ones as well. The gold standard is the Slimline SL2000 in my opinion, but these can be difficult to find these days.
5. Starter. I've successfully used the Align starter on everything from my OS .50/.55 to my OS 1.05HZ-R. It's worked very well when paired with a high quality battery (I use Thunder Power 25C packs in it). Since you are in CA, you will not have to deal with the woes of cold weather starting.
6. Isopropyl Alcohol in a spray bottle. Walgreens sells this for around $3.50. Used to clean your model after flying.
7. Some microfiber towels to supplement the above.
8. Glow Igniter. On board glow is the preferred way to go these days. The Align Kits include the 2-in-1, which is both a regulator, switch, and a glow igniter all in one. SwitchGlo and PushGlo are two other products that work VERY well. I would not bother with one of the traditional separate glow igniters (McDaniels and similar).

A fresh kit is the way to go unless you are on a very tight budget. You will save countless headaches versus going used.
dchekas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2015, 10:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Glow igniter?! Oh god you've already surpassed my knowledge level!
Old 05-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

http://www.pushglo.com/
jiminator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2015, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have an Enya #5 glow plug in my YS 91SRX, and the Pushglow doesn't seem to glow it well enough for consistent starting. A traditional Dubro glow stick works great. Just wish I could get the Pushglow to deliver enough power. It's a tidy solution.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm new too. Very first post by dchekas is very good info. Agree with all. I partially agree with new kit vs used. I think there is something I needed to fix with every used heli and those are things from sellers of good faith. But you can make them work.

Trex and TSA I have flown. Both are good.

For me personally the nitro fits me well. Flight times are good. I love the sound and smoke. I love the convenience of not having to charge big batteries. On any given day, even if I haven't flown in a few days, heli and bag go in truck and I'm at the field in ten minutes. And as soon as I walk to pits I can be flying in minutes.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah that's part of the allure. I can pair it with my 700e heli and alternate flights. Fly the nitro while the 700e charges etc

Im so used to 3:30-4:30 flights that...I'm not sure what I'll even do with my extra 4 minutes! Right now, I seem to be leaning TSA 700E. Even though the canopy is...well ugly
Old 05-07-2015, 10:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also use this. Don't know how it works with Enya 5's but it has no issues with OS 8's

http://www.ronlund.com/rcheli-prod/REVGLOW.html
jiminator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2015, 02:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtyndall View Post
Yeah that's part of the allure. I can pair it with my 700e heli and alternate flights. Fly the nitro while the 700e charges etc

Im so used to 3:30-4:30 flights that...I'm not sure what I'll even do with my extra 4 minutes! Right now, I seem to be leaning TSA 700E. Even though the canopy is...well ugly
I like my TSA's. They feel solid and locked in. Unfortunately canopy options are few, but I like mine. I also like Trex's, both old and new styles. They seem to fly well. There are a number of options and I don't think you will be disappointed in any 700 size out there.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminator View Post
I also use this. Don't know how it works with Enya 5's but it has no issues with OS 8's

http://www.ronlund.com/rcheli-prod/REVGLOW.html
Thanks, Jiminator.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would not trust the motor or the fuel supply system of any used helicopter. Both my used Trex required new fuel fittings in the tanks and fuel lines. On my latest purchase the motor was complete junk.

Both machines after some fiddling became awesome flyers. And even with the fixes were very inexpensive.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bought a used but unflown airframe from a local guy. That's the easy part. The hard part is now building and understanding it. He is giving me a regulator and a glow igniter.

Either going to use a full size Vbar or a BeastX Plus HD. YS91SRX with the Hatori pipe, based on tons of recommendations. Then just servos, peripherals and some know how and I'll join the club
Old 05-23-2015, 01:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you haven't bought the motor yet, take a serious look at the YS 120SR-X (not to be confused with the older 120SR) and the Hatori SB-23FH tuned pipe.
This is the biggest, most powerful combination on the market today.
I fly my Trex 700N with this.
I've used the OS 91HZ-PSS, OS 91HZ-R and YS 91SR-3DS on this airframe.
The YS 120SR-X / SB-23FH is awesome

Don't bother looking at anything other than Hatori pipes - regardless of the motor, these are the best.

The VBar and uBeast are good FBL gyros. If you already have one of these on your 700E, then you should get one for your 700N.
The VBar's nitro setup is the pits. I helped a guy set the VBar up on his Trex 600N - it was a horrible experience. They did not put any effort into the VBar nitro setup menus.

I use nothing but Skookum (SK-540 and SK-720BE w/GPS). Take a look at these.
I own 5 now - 3 on electrics and 2 on nitro.
The SK-720BE has vibration analysis, self leveling, bail out. Add GPS and you get return to home and hard-deck.
These are easy to setup and work well on the nitro.

On your Trex 700 airframe:
Buy the G-Force "Clutch Block Kit with Engine Mounts for T-Rex 700N". This allows you to adjust the motor / pinion for better gear mesh on the main gear.
Get the Lynx "T-Rex 700 Main Shaft Bearing + Thrust Bearing Block" (LX0048) and "X CF Plate" (LX0102)
When your Align clutch fails (and, it will fail), replace it with the Lynx "T-Rex 700 Heavy Duty Clutch" (LX0016)
Also, convert to the Slant Gear main. Use the Align Mod1 Helical Engine Gear Set (14T) and the matching CNC Slant Thread Main Drive Gear (112T). This will give you an 8.0:1 gear ratio which is better for the YS 120SR-X and most other motors.

If you have the Align 2 in 1 regulator / glow - throw it away! Do not use this on the 700!
Personally, I use the Scott Grey Reactor HVX with a 3S 3300mAh LiPo.
But, I like the looks of the Western Robotics Hercules regulators.

I highly recommend Byron's Rotor Rage fuel. The 15% should be good enough for your first few gallons. You can buy it from AMain Hobbies and pick it up (in Chico). If you go with the YS 120SR-X, then 15% is the best fuel for that motor.
But, the 15% works well for most motors regardless of the size.
Sheldon's (on Tradezone Blvd in SJ - near the Great Mall) has Bryon's Wildcat "Youngblood Performance 30" 30% nitro on the shelf for $30. It is okay. I would use it if I couldn't find Byron's RR.

I used the Align starter for about a week. It wouldn't turn my OS 91HZ-PSS using a Thunder Power 3S 2200mAh pack.

Get the Hobbico TorqMaster 90 Deluxe and a simple "Helicopter Starter Shaft". Heli-World (aka: "Century Helicopters". Their store is located near Fry's Electronics on Brokaw Rd in SJ) has both.
Cut the wires off the starter and use Dean's connectors and Velcro to mount a 4S 2200mAh LiPo on the side of the starter. That will turn anything.
You can also look at Ron's RC Helicopter for a selection of starter shafts: http://www.ronlund.com/rcheli/NITSTX.html

Last edited by ticedoff8; 05-23-2015 at 02:39 PM..
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2015, 04:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the in depth response! I actually don't have a Trex 700e or n. Just the TSA and Agile 700s
Old 05-25-2015, 09:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

There's actually a very good post on here for Vbar nitro gov setup. I think the thing that really throws most people off is that you can't turn the gov on/off with a simple transmitter switch. So, if you're breaking in a new engine and want throttle controlled by stick, you need one setup, and once ready to govern, a different setup. I just setup with gov and break-in with it activated. I can help when the time comes if you need.

Check this thread. Save it as a Fav. I revisit it when needed. LINK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in