Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Foamies and Park Flyers

Foamies and Park Flyers 3D Foamies and Park Flyers are an EXCELLENT way to improve your reflexes and stick finesse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Not even considering fixing it for now. Will be pulling trigger on the orange one in the morning. I might fix it up at a latter time but more than want to deal with now. I finally got over crying and kicking myself, time to move on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Trigger pulled on the replacement Edge in orange about 8 this morning. If shipping works out as fast as last time it should be here tomorrow afternoon. (One of the advantages of living 150 miles or so from 3DHS location) Hope to have it in the air by Saturday afternoon. 14x7 APC was out of stock and none in LHS so I will be giving the 13x6.5 a try. My loving wife made this quick turn around possible. (Anything to get my mind off wanting a new motorcycle!) Was able to get a free hat with my bonus points too.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Orange Edge arrived about 45 minutes ago! UPS managed to get it here intact. That makes them 2 for 2 on 3DHS orders but but only 3 out of 5 overall. I had my first MPX FunJet arrive with the box bent like a banana and a Stryker body that had been crushed on one wingtip. The orange sure is bright, exactly what my old tired eyes needed. Have overnight company till afternoon tomorrow so I can't get any building done till they clear out.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Shaweet!!!
Old 03-25-2012, 02:47 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Crappy weather stranded my guests here for hours longer than I would have liked. This delayed the work on the 'Honey do' list so net result no progress on the new Edge yet. Gotta clear my hobby table a bit and get started in a few minutes. If the weather cooperates today I may get to squeeze a maiden in before I go to sleep this afternoon. My work week starts at 10pm tonight.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Almost done on build routing some things a bit differently this time should be in the air tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1355.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	302426   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1356.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	302427  
Old 03-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finally got to do the maiden flight of the Orange Edge! Well worth the wait. No pre maiden flight jitters as I already knew what to expect and was not disappointed. Had to move the battery a bit farther forward to get the CG same as the last one. It was expected as I mounted the ESC and external UBEC a bit differently this time and the 13x6.5 is a touch lighter. Only needed 2 clicks of aileron trim and 1 on rudder. Great plane! Ran a total of 4 batteries through her and had a wonderful time.
Did do one bone head thing though forgot that I had taken out the Velcro strap while routing the ESC wires and had to improvise. Made a piece of rope out of black tape and tied the battery down. Crude but effective. No way I was going back to the house and have the wife make senility comments or remind me of the time I talked her into videoing my FunJet and got to the field and realized I had forgot my batteries. It sucks getting old! Anyway someone said the Orange Edges fly better not sure about that but it sure is easier to see which is what I wanted in the first place. If I had never flown with the 14x7 on the blue Edge I would have thought the 13x6.5 was perfect, it was easier on my batteries, but I will switch back to 14x7 when LHS has them in stock again. OK I'm getting long winded again so enough for now you know how us old timers rattle on and on.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice, glad to hear you finally got to maiden it and did so without a hitch. Have you considered a wood prop? I used one with my Slick and while I can't really tell a difference with how it flies (maybe slightly crisper throttle response?) it sounds a little different and most importantly looks awesome. Just good for thought, but be sure to get an electric specific one if you do 'cause they're a bit lighter.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:43 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah I have been considering a wood prop, especially now that the Edge has such good prop clearance. It took a crash on flight 25 to destroy the 14x7, a new record for me. What brand did you use? Xoar, VOX or something else?
Old 03-31-2012, 07:41 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got a Xoar, looks sharp. Took a little work to balance it but that might just be luck of the draw.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:20 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Speaking of hard to balance don't try an EMP prop. I bought a 14x7 to try and it looks good but is the worst balanced prop I have yet owned. Spent over a half hour sanding one blade and had to add 3 pieces of tape to get it even close to balanced.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

10 flights now on the Orange Edge. What a fantastic plane! Everything the blue one was and much easier for my old eyes to see especially against a bright blue sky. This plane is capable of way more stunts than I am yet able to perform, but inspires me to learn more ways to thrash it in the air. Ended up with slightly more throw on the elevator this time and it tumbles end over end even better. Now if I can just avoid dumb thumbing this one for a while.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

One slight addition made today before flying seemed to have helped a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1357.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	304637   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1361.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	304638  
Old 04-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sweet, should hold a KE much better now.

Actually flew the Slick today, been a few months but it comes back quickly. Landings weren't my best but she is still in one piece so it's all good.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad to hear you blew the dust and cobwebs off the Slick. Hoping that we can hook up some Saturday in the near future. Thanks again for setting my feet on the right path Joe.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like the Xoar electric wood props on smaller planes, they're quieter than APCe props and give you a much snappier throttle response (most noticeable in hovers). Make sure you get the electric version, I think they are PJN. Since they are laminated wood, the best way to balance them is to put a little epoxy or ca on the light side until it balances, unless it is very close. You don't want to sand through the lamination and expose the wood. Make sure you are comfortable with your landings, since wood props are not durable and will not survive even a slight hit while spinning.
Ace4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the balancing tip.I'm still on the fence about wood props. For the price of 1 I can get 2 APCs or 4 HK ones LOL. That is a joke by the way no HK props on this Edge!
Old 04-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

If the prop clearance is anything like my Slick's then you'll be good. I wouldn't have done it on the Extra 300 due to the minimal clearance but you should be fine on the Edge.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Slightly off topic, but I finally got my muffler to stay on so I got a couple good flights on my 3DHS 87" Extra SHP.

Ace4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Off topic maybe but I don't mind at all. Very nice looking plane and great picture. I hope to scale up someday, think I will stick to electric power though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in