Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Airtronics Radios

Airtronics Radios Airtronics Radios Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 07:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location
Default SD-10G Setup Videos!

Just thought I would let all AT users know I am doing a full set of vids on the SD-10G.

You can find them here:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=166966

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 09:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello Bob, like so many others (I am sure!) I have watched your videos and found them to be of GREAT assistance and they have without doubt 'eased' my way into this hobby!

Can I ask are you familiar with the previous Airtronics radio - the RDS8000?

I have not asked you directly for help before..... but I seem to be having a compatibility issue with the GY401 and the RDS8000. I have built a Trex 450, 500ESP and 600ESP over the past couple of months, all fitted with the 401 and Airtronics 8ch recievers and RDS8000 TX.

The problem is that the Gyros seems to lose their centres. I turn the TX on in HH mode and then turn on the heli and after the gyro intialises I get a solid LED on the gyro. Then, without even lifting off, or moving the sticks the LED on the gyro starts to flash after about two minutes. At this time if I re-centre the gyro by switching quickly between HH and rate the LED will stay solid for about 5 minutes before flashing again. If I then re-centre the gyro again the LED will stay solid for about 10 minutes.

All three of my helis have the same sympton.

I consider myself very familiar with this radio and have it set up without any mixes, rudder centered, I have tried with expo, without expo, with DRs, without DRs, different end points, gyro gain settings of between 45% & 80% and I have tried re-binding the TX / RX. I actually have two RDS8000 radios and have tried them both.

I know that sometimes there might be a problem with a piece of equipment but I have three of these gyros, six recievers and two transmitters. I get the same result every time......this is VERY frustrating!

Of course, at first I noticed the problem when flying and figured that something was wrong with my setup but then I noticed it on the bench without even touching the sticks!

So, just to recap. I turn the TX on (HH mode, about 70%), then turn on the heli. The gyro intialises and the LED is solid. Then I don't touch anything and approximately two minutes later the LED starts to flash. At this stage one click of left rudder trim and the LED turns solid again, if I leave it longer it will take two clicks of trim to turn the LED solid. Using the rudder trim is not something I do in flight, it's just an observation. I always land and recentre the gyro - or turn the heli off and on again.

I am an analytical type of person and very patient......but this is starting to......well, you know?!

Cheers for any words of wisdom!
jonp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Hi, no sorry I am not familiar with the RD8000. However the LED blinking might be a couple things. If the rudder pot is getting old it could be drifting. You will notice on a 401 if you move the rudder stick you will see the LED flashes showing it is getting input. If the pot is drifting then the 401 may see this change as a rudder stick input.

Since this pot is a mechanical thing this is what I would look at first. To test if this might be the problem once the LED starts flashing go into your servo center (like subtrim) menu and try a click or so left or right, wait a second and see if it stops blinking. If so then that maybe the problem. The gyro is seeing your rudder stick is moving. If this shows to be the problem you can try to clean out the pot yourself using some spray tuner cleaner. Otherwise you need to send it in to get the pot replaced.

If this is not it then it could be many other things. Power dropping too low resetting the gyro? The RX is having some issue, etc.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 09:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the reply - yes, a click or two of subtrim makes the LED solid again. Trouble is it does it on both of my radios and one of them is new!

I'll send then in for repair.....one at a time though!
jonp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=166966
dankcincy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in