Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Blade Multirotor Support > mQX

mQX Blade mQX Quad Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Got my MQX tonight

Hey guys,
I got a new toy tonight and i hoping all you experts can give me all the info i need to get started.
I am new to quads and to be honest, I wasn't even planning on getting one right now. i actually went to my LHS to get a new MCPX. One of the techs was playing around with one inside and it looked like he was having a ball !
There were a couple of other customers there that own one and they were all saying how much fun it was and that I should try one of those.........so, instead of a MCPX I came home with a MQX .
Now i just need to read the manual and a setup thread on here to learn the best setup for it and my DX6i.
Guys, please feel free to part any knowledge on me you feel could help me as a total noob to muti-rotor.
Right now I am flying the MSRX and I'm on that forum a lot and also I fly..........well, fly may be the wrong word for what i do with an SR............here, this describes it very well
Anyway, thanks guys and i'll be on here a lot from now on it looks like !
Any and all help and info will be greatly appreciated !

Old 05-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

First, I'm no Expert by any means...
Welcome BigRHS, I've been mainly in the Blade 450 forums, but since I bought the MQX, find it interesting reading all the information so far in this forum! I'll have to say, this is one product that Horizon / Blade under-advertised and over-delivered in my mind. Very fun flyer.
Just a couple ideas (probably already listed somewhere in this forum), you can program the DX6i for either the airplane or heli mode for the MQX. The heli mode will allow you to utilize the 'throttle hold switch' for safety, plus input a throttle curve. I bring this up now, because when you are ready to do flips and rolls (yes, it will do them), I find you need a little throttle on to keep stable (while in the inverted portion); but, not too much to where you push towards the ground! You can also just lower the throttle stick a little (slightly lower than mid-stick) while inverted, but for those that stick bang...
For dual rates, I have mine set at 60% for low rates; 100% for high. For outside flying, better to use the high rates in my opinion. Good luck, have fun!
Myriad of Blade helis - Fusion 270/360/480

Last edited by basmo; 05-07-2012 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: more info.
basmo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by basmo View Post
First, I'm no Expert by any means...
Welcome BigRHS, I've been mainly in the Blade 450 forums, but since I bought the MQX, find it interesting reading all the information so far in this forum! I'll have to say, this is one product that Horizon / Blade under-advertised and over-delivered in my mind. Very fun flyer.
Just a couple ideas (probably already listed somewhere in this forum), you can program the DX6i for either the airplane or heli mode for the MQX. The heli mode will allow you to utilize the 'throttle hold switch' for safety, plus input a throttle curve. I bring this up now, because when you are ready to do flips and rolls (yes, it will do them), I find you need a little throttle on to keep stable (while in the inverted portion); but, not too much to where you push towards the ground! You can also just lower the throttle stick a little (slightly lower than mid-stick) while inverted, but for those that stick bang...
For dual rates, I have mine set at 60% for low rates; 100% for high. For outside flying, better to use the high rates in my opinion. Good luck, have fun!
Thanks so much for the reply, I was beginning to think I had a plague or something.....LOL ! A lot of views but no reply's.
I have to say that this thing has been a blast so far.
I did set it up in heli mode and I have mine set at 75% with 20 expo for inside and of course everything set for 100% for outside.
I did have some issues with orientation and I thought those days were over, but this thing looks so different in the air i found that I was having a little trouble when I got it a little high or farther away from me.
I added some red shrink wrap to the 2 front spars and painted the tips of the white blades red on the top and bottom and that really helped.
I also took some advice from some guys on another forum ( RV groups ) that told me to make a homemade canopy so i don't break the OEM learning to fly the Q since the OEM is so fragile.
I started to make it out of a bottle bottom, but I looked over at my wife and she was eating some peaches out of one of those single serve plastic cups and that gave me the idea of what to use. it works great and is tough and lite.
here's a pic of it.
Thanks !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My Q.jpg (363.2 KB, 65 views)
Old 05-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used a two tone scheme when I painted mine so I can top from bottom as well. The top of my "cup" canopy is red to match the rotor tips and the botton is blue. I used a mini tuperware thingy with a lid that helps to keep it in place. I had issues with the orientation when I was doing my figure 8s from the side instead of around me and this helped a lot.

The frame is very durable compared to an MCPX. what would snap a tail boom will maybe bend a blade on the MQX. The blades are cheap so its not bad to have a few of each type. Note that you have CW and CCW.

Engine failure seems to be the biggest complaint. I recommend keeping one of each type on hand just in case. I had to replace one of my CW motors after about 20 flights. I run mine in + mode and there was a noticable lag on banking right.
ErikIL77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks man,
Is there an advantage to running the + mode or is it just a matter of preference for the pilot ?
I have been thinking about painting the inside of my fruit cup canopy, but I don't know how well it will handle paint and I figure it will just add weight.
I want to get a better canopy once i get better at flying it.
Do you do flips with yours, and if so, what is the procedure to do one ?
I have seen video's of guys doing it, but not one on how to do it.
Thanks
ps: what are the decals for that came with the Q. Are they just to put wherever you want them or is there a certain place they go. i can't seem to find anything about them in the manual.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just a few steps I found works for the flips (either forward or back):
- Get enough height, it will drop a few feet
- Give full back (or front) elevator
- When it is inverted (or right before), lower the throttle to approx. mid stick or slightly below
- Keep full elevator
- As it comes around back to upright, relax elevator and quickly add throttle to hovering position.
- They get a little better each time; you can 'smooth' them out
Myriad of Blade helis - Fusion 270/360/480
basmo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRHS View Post
Thanks man,
Is there an advantage to running the + mode or is it just a matter of preference for the pilot ?

Do you do flips with yours, and if so, what is the procedure to do one ?
I have seen video's of guys doing it, but not one on how to do it.
+ or X seems a matter of preference. I tried both and prefer + for flying around and X for attempting stunts.

So far for my flips and rolls I have found not doing them from a stand still is easier for me. I will get my MQX traveling up before I attempt a manuver, with the first few times setting up for something like a stall turn for extra advantage. I jack my travels to max (%125 on a DX6i) and set negative expo for faster response on the stick movement. The first few times ended with me pancaking the thing to the ground so height is your friend. Cut the throttle as others have mentioned once you get inverted.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Now all I need is some calm days so I can get it outside and give it a try ! Can't wait to try some flips and stuff, i just can't get over how much fun I have had flying this thing. I guess it's just the fact that it's close to flying a " regular " helicopter but different and stable enough to be fun !
Old 05-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRHS View Post
Now all I need is some calm days so I can get it outside and give it a try ! Can't wait to try some flips and stuff, i just can't get over how much fun I have had flying this thing. I guess it's just the fact that it's close to flying a " regular " helicopter but different and stable enough to be fun !
It is fun flying it against light winds, just be careful once you get above the tree line.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's been raining here the last couple of days, but as soon as I get the weather I'm heading outside with it and see what I can do !
Old 05-08-2012, 11:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Go with lower expo settings and fly it indoors too for practice! I've flown it around an office area without too much issue. Then I have the higher rates for the quick responses needed outside! This is a lot of fun!

GSPI is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 11:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPI View Post
Go with lower expo settings and fly it indoors too for practice! I've flown it around an office area without too much issue. Then I have the higher rates for the quick responses needed outside! This is a lot of fun!
Oh, i have been flying it inside ! i have flown everyday since I got it and have had a blast ! I have almost forgot about my MSRX and SR over the last couple of days, but some of that is simply because it's " the new thing on the block right now ".
I have my rates set at 75% with 20% expo for inside and have everything set for 100% for when i go outside.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in