Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Align 3G FBL System

Align 3G FBL System Align 3G FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 3GX Programming with Laptop??

I just bought a BNF 250 DFC Pro and thought I was going to actually Bind and Fly with a DX8 and the Spectrum Sat already installed.

Now I find out the seller can't find the "Updater Cable" so I can't do a firmware upgrade. Who knows what version it is stuck on from like last year probably. Was supposed to be all setup and go, now he can't remember what state it is in.

Is there Software to load into my Laptop so I can just tap into it with some cable to see the Settings and Modify them? I just saw a screenshot on here of someone's settings. What software is needed to program from a Laptop instead of doing the old Beast method of TX and pushing buttons, watching lights. Hate that, don't have time to spend learning another FBL that way...
heritageflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2014, 05:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi heritageflyer,

Not the best situation, agreed. How does the heli fly or are you yet to maiden?

You can adjust certain parameters within the 3gx via 'the stick' method and you can also run through Dir setup etc (going through setup again is highly recommended on any heli bought used) but updaing firmware, finding out what firmware you actually have, fine tuning and checking the 3gx numerical values in the 3gx wizard, you can't. You need the USB dongle unfortunately.
Bonkievan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkievan View Post
Hi heritageflyer,

Not the best situation, agreed. How does the heli fly or are you yet to maiden?

You can adjust certain parameters within the 3gx via 'the stick' method and you can also run through Dir setup etc (going through setup again is highly recommended on any heli bought used) but updaing firmware, finding out what firmware you actually have, fine tuning and checking the 3gx numerical values in the 3gx wizard, you can't. You need the USB dongle unfortunately.

Good news! After applying some pressure the seller now Found the Cable!!!

So when it gets here I can Flash it and then do whatever. Need some guidance on how you get into the 3GX. Download Align Software to view and mod the FBL via the dongle? Where is the software available from? Assuming there is no CD with a 3GX?
Old 06-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you bought new, you would get a CD but there is actually no need, as you can download firmware from here http://www.align.com.tw/alignhtml/3g...3gx_update.php

It comes as a .rar file so you'll need an extractor program, in which free ones can be found on the web. Here is an excellent walk through for the 3gx. Some parameters are different with the newer firmware but this is still very relevant for most things. This should tell you all you most of what you need to know.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=492156

Just make sure if you do update the firmware, run through DIR and setup again as flashing firmware can change settings and reverse servo direction etc

V 5.0 is the most recent update. It's only been out a couple of weeks. I don't have a 250, so can't comment on how v5.0 flies on that size heli, sorry.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Man this seems deep and manual method at first read through on the 3GX Align Manual... Thinking about pulling the 3GX in favor of the on hand BeastX AR7200 I have. Keep the Satellite and get a Robird to try, all from software based.

Ok I already downloaded V5, but looks like I need to find out what V is IN it already. Manual said must (Step) up through each Version, can't jump.

My best Initial Option is to hope he set up his current last Flashed Version. Run through DIR checks to see if it looks setup or defaulted. Still have to do some setups, Mixing in radio to make this work. Seems so outdated, the setup methods to get the same results.

What is the guidance on the Radio Settings? I can't believe I have to go into setting up Swash Mixing in a DX8 to make this work. BeastX so much easier in this regard. Seriously could be flying on the spare Beast in much less setup time. Copy a Model, Run back through the BX setups, verify operation and test fly.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Man this seems deep and manual method at first read through on the 3GX Align Manual... Thinking about pulling the 3GX in favor of the on hand BeastX AR7200 I have. Keep the Satellite and get a Robird to try, all from software based.

Ok I already downloaded V5, but looks like I need to find out what V is IN it already. Manual said must (Step) up through each Version, can't jump.

My best Initial Option is to hope he set up his current last Flashed Version. Run through DIR checks to see if it looks setup or defaulted. Still have to do some setups, Mixing in radio to make this work. Seems so outdated, the setup methods to get the same results.

What is the guidance on the Radio Settings? I can't believe I have to go into setting up Swash Mixing in a DX8 to make this work. BeastX so much easier in this regard. Seriously could be flying on the spare Beast in much less setup time. Copy a Model, Run back through the BX setups, verify operation and test fly.
Most things are difficult the first few goes. Believe me, the 3gx is one of the more simple in the scheme of things. You'll be able to set one up in 15mins in no time.

Tx settings- try looking up Rod Lund or Freddy can Fly on YouTube for 3gx and dx8 setup video walk throughs.
Setting up swash setting is no biggy. In DIR Put your pitch gauge on set Pitch, set Ail pitch. Whatever Ail is you can make Ele the same if you like.

I actually prefer software based set ups now. You can actually see what is going on etc and fine tune a lot better.........
Old 06-26-2014, 09:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Most things are difficult the first few goes. Believe me, the 3gx is one of the more simple in the scheme of things. You'll be able to set one up in 15mins in no time.

Tx settings- try looking up Rod Lund or Freddy can Fly on YouTube for 3gx and dx8 setup video walk throughs.
Setting up swash setting is no biggy. In DIR Put your pitch gauge on set Pitch, set Ail pitch. Whatever Ail is you can make Ele the same if you like.

I actually prefer software based set ups now. You can actually see what is going on etc and fine tune a lot better.........
It says you need an FBL Pitch Gauge with Fly Rod, bolts on top of head to do their way of setting up. Don't have one. I do have an Align Digital gauge. Used to putting over blades to set 6 deg and 12. Can that be used on this setup?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Robird G31, sell the 3GX when it comes, use the Spectrum Sat on the G31. 8 Step Software Setup (what I was told from a guy who did one) from the Laptop.....
Old 06-26-2014, 09:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Digital pitch gauge is fine.
The rod is for an analogue gauge.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Digital pitch gauge is fine.
The rod is for an analogue gauge.
So do I do a traditional Blades inline with tailboom for Pitch?

Looked like manual showed perpendicular in the drawing.

What do I want to Convert the .rar file too for the Firmware, Zipped?

Did one conversion to a .tar online.

Last edited by heritageflyer; 06-27-2014 at 06:26 AM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in