Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories

KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2015, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default KDE motor on a G700

KDE told me the 535 G3 motor would fit on a goblin 700 (non comp) without cutting the canopy. It does not fit as you can see. I didn't want to cut my canopy. If I was going to chop it I could have bought the larger motor. Bummer.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	576522  
JTAnimal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2015, 02:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Smile

Definitely does not fit a Goblin 700.
Competition model on the other hand, maybe?

Old 03-28-2015, 10:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Great picture Phantom! I needed that, I was thinking how much do I need to cut out, but I can see that motor sicks out of the canopy all the way. I don't know why KDE told me it would fit, well I do know why. But I will never ask them again.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTAnimal View Post
KDE told me the 535 G3 motor would fit on a goblin 700 (non comp) without cutting the canopy. It does not fit as you can see. I didn't want to cut my canopy. If I was going to chop it I could have bought the larger motor. Bummer.
Does it actually brush against the canopy, though?

I have the same motor in G700Comp (still building, so no assurances until the maiden flight). It comes very close to the canopy, but it doesn't actually touch it - you still can insert a sheet of paper between the motor and the canopy, and there are no brush marks on the canopy if I spin the motor by hand using the main shaft. And, the declared motor height (63.7mm) is just 0.3mm less than max allowed for G700Comp (64mm), so that is indeed a very tight fit.

Hope this helps.
Heli-X, AccuRC, RF 7.5 Transmitter Interface Edition
madeye is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I ran that motor in my G700 comp last summer and it fit great without cutting my canopy.

You can carefully heat up your canopy and mold it to fit around the motor. I used some of that black SAB foam (around 1/2" thick) that they pack everything with in the kits.

Cut a circle of this foam about the size of the top of the motor and secure it with a little tape if you want. Then carefully heat your canopy in the area around the motor from the inside of canopy (not paint side). Not hot at all, just warmed up. Mount your canopy now and if the temp of the canopy is right it will let you form it a little around the foam. You may need to experiment with the heat a little like I did the first time to get it just right. Let it cool off secured in place and you should be good to go.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeye View Post
Does it actually brush against the canopy, though?

I have the same motor in G700Comp (still building, so no assurances until the maiden flight). It comes very close to the canopy, but it doesn't actually touch it - you still can insert a sheet of paper between the motor and the canopy, and there are no brush marks on the canopy if I spin the motor by hand using the main shaft. And, the declared motor height (63.7mm) is just 0.3mm less than max allowed for G700Comp (64mm), so that is indeed a very tight fit.

Hope this helps.
I have the same setup, and although it clears by a small margin, it will rub in FFF without some modification. The wind pressing down on the canopy top will push it into the motor. This heli moves at over 80MPH under its own weight without even trying, so think about the amount of force on your hand if placed out of a car window at that speed.

There may be no issue if your flight style is 3D staying in the box most of the time with very little FFF, but big air or circuits will rub.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My Goblin is a Non Comp (said that in the first post) I got one of the kits from the second round of shipping when they first came out. I have been running a heli jive and a Scorpion LE motor, now it has a Kosmik and KDE motor.
I think if you have a comp it should fit, this one was just rubbing the front part of the motor, but it would have messed up the canopy and the top of the motor if I did not cut it.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Smile

I could not get the canopy on without cutting it.
No way in the world is it going to fit without removing material from the canopy.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Couldn't get the canopy on with the smaller 535 motor (4530 stator size)?

The much larger 505 motor (4541 stator) needs the canopy hole for sure. I like the look of that big motor sticking through the canopy. Looks like a supercharger sticking through the hood of a hot rod.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackey View Post
Couldn't get the canopy on with the smaller 535 motor (4530 stator size)?

The much larger 505 motor (4541 stator) needs the canopy hole for sure. I like the look of that big motor sticking through the canopy. Looks like a supercharger sticking through the hood of a hot rod.
I agree, if I knew I needed to cut I would have gone for the larger motor and have it stick through like Phantom's his looks good. My 535 barly sticks through, not as good. O well, it flew great on Sunday, plenty of power with the KDE and Kosmik combo..
Old 08-25-2016, 06:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Reviving an older thread..

I have a 700 CE with the KDE700XF-535-G3 and I have a very small gap between the motor top and the canopy. During flight, I can hear the motor and the canopy making contact and see small marks on the motor top. I don't think I can reform a Carbon Fiber canopy with the heat gun method?? so I guess I'll need to cut back the opening a bit. Any tips before I take a dremel to the canopy? I'm concerned about chipping the paint or causing a crack.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeguy View Post
Reviving an older thread..

I have a 700 CE with the KDE700XF-535-G3 and I have a very small gap between the motor top and the canopy. During flight, I can hear the motor and the canopy making contact and see small marks on the motor top. I don't think I can reform a Carbon Fiber canopy with the heat gun method?? so I guess I'll need to cut back the opening a bit. Any tips before I take a dremel to the canopy? I'm concerned about chipping the paint or causing a crack.
I had the same issue on all my original Goblin canopies before switching to the much larger Speed version.

There was a small gap between the canopy and motor, however the force of the air during nose down attitude FFF would press the canopy into the motor.

No issues trimming the canopy on mine with a thin Dremel cutoff wheel for the rough cut, then switched to a small Dremel sanding drum to finalize the shape.

The only issue I ever had cutting many Goblin canopies was due to the poor paint prep from Canomod beofre putting the clear coat on.

I used masking tape to mark the cut area, and when I pulled the tape off, the clear coat peeled off in large sheets with it from where the cut was made. The clear coat didn't adhere to the base coat at all.

I haven't used any tape ever since that issue, and instead mark things with a Sharpie marker instead.

Last edited by Xrayted; 08-26-2016 at 07:08 AM..
Xrayted is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in