Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Let's play Eflite Blade "Clue" aka "Darwin Award" self-nomination

The injuries below are my right hand. It is less bad than it looks, but there was a loss of skin and I'll probably add one more tiny scar to my body for life. Given that I am in 4th month of this hobby, any other posts I've made (hint), and that I own mcx2, SR120, and mCPx, how did the accident happen? To win, you need to get

1. Correct Helicopter.
2. Correct non-helicopter actor
3. How it happened.

I'll answer "yes" or "no" to questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0093.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	239707   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0094.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	239708  
megawhacker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

One more relevant photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0095.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	239733  
Old 07-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am going to go with Sr120, dog tried to fetch it, you tried to stop dog and /or, grab / swat heli away from dog and blades bit your hand

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
4G6, mCPX, mCPXBL, nCPX, mSR, mCX
Gadflyii is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Dunno but he sure looks guilty!
agagescu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadflyii View Post
I am going to go with Sr120, dog tried to fetch it, you tried to stop dog and /or, grab / swat heli away from dog and blades bit your hand

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
Close enough. It was the SR120. But not the blades.

I have an open grassy area behind the house that along with the SR120 i use to exercise the dog. FFF with dog close behind. He gets a real workout. I have to hand launch and hand recover the SR120 because the dog is on it as soon as the blades start and the SR120 doesn't have a chance from a standing ground start. I was careless launching. I held it about 6 inches lower to launch than usual and the dog was on it before it cleared my hands and those are tooth marks you see on my hand. The dog is completely focused on the helicopter and I'm sure he was unaware he got my hand.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

man thats tough. i didn't realize that rc heli's was so dangerous
hope you heal soon

rob
rob214 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 06:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That's too bad about the dog bite.

That's a real dangerous way to be with the dog and a heli IMHO... if you get anything bigger, even an SR or a mCP X, either you, or the dog, can get seriously injured that way.

The dog's not going to know the difference between the 120 SR and an mCP X until it gets it's snout slashed like a box cutter...
JoeW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's a real dangerous way to be with the dog and a heli IMHO... if you get anything bigger, even an SR or a mCP X, either you, or the dog, can get seriously injured that way.

The dog's not going to know the difference between the 120 SR and an mCP X until it gets it's snout slashed like a box cutter...

Yes, I'd been thinking about that too. You are correct. My daughter got that dog at the pound 3 1/2 years ago. He is now 4 1/2 years old. The dog's name is Jack.

Jack is the sweetest dog you ever saw. Loves everyone. He is also a wanderer. We got him because the previous owner got tired of paying the pound $60.00 bucks every time the dog wandered off and gave up ownership rights. Jack had a Mohawk haircut when we got him from the pound. First trip to the vet we found he also had a busted tooth that was $600.00 bucks to get pulled and an apparent broken leg that had healed crooked. I am thinking previous owner was a Redneck in a trailer house with 5 unsupervised sons ages 2-12. And I almost forgot- the dog also had a 6 inch long, 1/2 inch wide scar from his backbone to butt that the vet said was consistent with a chemical burn with a hot glue gun being a possible candidate.

It is not just the mCPx or bigger helicopter that there could be an issue with. Jack also does not know the difference between the SR120 and bicycles, motor cycles, dump trucks, pickup trucks, school buses, and a whole host of other dangerous things that could kill or maim this dog in a second. We have a fenced yard (just for the dog) and can not let him out without supervision for even one second.

So, yes...I've felt a little guilty about giving Jack one more bad habit that could kill or maim. I don't feel too guilty about the SR120. These dogs are bred pretty tough. I grew up on a cattle farm in South Dakota. One day when I was about 10 years old a little dog just like this one got too close to a cow with a new born calf. The cow took after the dog, the dog ran between my legs, the cow tried to follow the dog...things we remember from our childhood. As a child, I saw these dogs kicked by 1000 pound plus cows, run over and rolled by these same cows, and run over by ewes, rams, and lambs. Once a rat bit the family farm dog on the nose and hung on to the dog's nose while the dog tried to get it off. That dog went on to became the new world's best and most efficient rat killer. Hundreds of rats died over the life of that dog because of one chomp on the nose. The SR120 is pretty mild compared to all this.

For the past several months the SR120 has been and the mCPx has been .
Today was the 4th consecutive day of mCPx improvement. Months of not be ready to move on to the next heli, and then "hallelujah".

I think the mCPx may be for the next 2 months what the SR120 was the last 2 months-my "go to" helicopter. I lock the Jack in the house now when I go outside to fly the mCPx. And I feel just the tiniest bit guilty of adding the mCPx and bigger helicopters to the infinitely long list of reasons Jack has to always be in the house, in the yard with gates closed, on a leash, or very, very closely supervised.

The SR120 chasing dog has been the tipping point of getting buy in from my wife on the helicopter addiction and entertained the neighbors. After two helicopter purchase failures, my neighbor across the street finally took my mcx2 home with him to practice on and will buy his own SR120 within the next week or two I think. I had no idea he first attempted this hobby 3 years ago and after watching my SR120 is ready to give it another go.

Thanks for bringing something up that had me feeling just a little guilty also. I should not add to the long list of bad habits that can kill and maim. Gotta go now. Jack wants another beer.

Last edited by megawhacker; 07-15-2011 at 10:49 PM.. Reason: Grammar, quote, and clarity.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Didn't intend to lop on some extra guilt, and it seems you've got the situation covered.

We have a shepherd/lab mix that we watch every few months while her owner travels. She's a great dog, but is real curious of the helis. She took a mCX2 blade in the snout once being curious, and now gives them their due respect. When that dog's over, I only take out the micros, and never the mCPX... I just have no way of knowing if she's going to get curious again and give a spinning disk a sniff.

I'm probably a little extra cautious for 2 reasons, one is the dog we watch isn't around helis every day/week... just when it's over here. And the other is... it's not my dog. Kinda like it's ok for your kids to come home with bumps scrapes and bruises... but I couldn't send someone else's kid home like that

Have fun whacker, enjoy the helis and the dog.

Joe
JoeW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2011, 08:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My schipperke loves my mSR! He used to be afraid of it but now he just chases it around the house. Sometimes he gets too close... it got stuck on the fur on his neck last week. He didnt really care though. The great thing with his obsession with the mSR is that if my dog gets hit he wont get hurt.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have a bernese moutain dog. The first few times I was taking my small helis out in the backyard, she tried to "play" with them so I was getting the dog inside the house. Now she dont even care about the helis anymore. When I get the helis out she go take a nap away from me (and the helis).
Old 08-18-2011, 08:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

About a week after I got my Blade SR & of course smashed it all up I started to fix it. In my great wisdom I spun her up in the kitchen while holding the skids down on the floor with one hand. Of course my hand slipped, it tipped & struck my forearm full throttle & sliced it open.

My wife watched this debacle unfold & noted I was cut up pretty good & was I ok? I couldn't care less about the blood I just did another $50 damage to my new heli........
qcman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in