Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics

JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics JR and Spektrum Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Question on DX6i batteries

My DX6i came with 1.2V rechargeable battieries. The TX shows 5.6V when fully charged. The roller switch has been crappy since new. Sometimes it takes one light tap to make an entry or change a menu, sometimes, 2, or 3, 4,5. Occasionally won't chnage and I have to power off and on. Sometimes I have to press hard.

I thought it was the switch that is bad, but haven't wanted to send the unit in until the last few days. Today I switched out the batteries for four standard 1.5V AA batteries, and the switch works nearly perfectly.

Is 1.5V too high? I hadn't seen 1.23V battereiwes before the Spektrum ones. Could they be bad from new?

I emailed HH about the switch, but never heard back. I
seldredg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Rechargeable batts are 1.2v. Alkaline are 1.5v. You can run on either no problem. I use some nimh batts in my DX6i no problem. Just have to charge more often by they cheaper than replacing alkalines for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Tri-Flow"
I put that S*** on everything!"
banditpowdercoat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 02:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

When your rechargeable batteries are fully charged and you turn on your transmitter, what voltage reading does it give? I'm wondering if my OEM batteries are defective.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

5.2-5.6 It doesnt sound like your batteries are bad
HELIFREAK !!!
aerocal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks. Bad batteries would have been easier than bad TX. Will send it in.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I received my new dx6i I read the manual cover to cover and couldn't find anywhere that it called the spektrum batts rechargable. Batts themselves also have no indication on them so i put in different rechargeable batts Perhaps spektrun batts are not rechargeable at all!
Old 07-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Generally the loose cells that come with the Tx are alkaline type non rechargable.Adding rechargable cells is an option.

If a cell is rechargeable it will clearly state as much right on the cell.If it does not say rechargeable they are likely alkaline.
HELIFREAK !!!
Old 07-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do your Spektrum NiMH AA batteries get hot when recharging them in the TX?? I recharged mine on my Energizer niMH AA or AAA charger yesterday and when done they were EXTREMELY WARM, not burn you hot but it was cause for concern nonetheless.

Should I just charge them in the TX??? Why would these batteries charge any differently than other NiMH batteries? My Energizers and the Radio Shack Enercell batteries both hiave higher mAH ratings than the Spektrums and neither of those get warm but the charger is supposed to switch to a maintenance charge state when full so I wouldn't think that would matter. No where in the charger instructions does it mention mAH ratings, only that it's tobe used exclusively with NiMH batteries.

Talking about these guys here BTW.

PM me for your soldering and mSR X BL build needs.
burnoutboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok those are clearly marked NiMh and a nominal voltage of 1.2 so yes they are rechargeable.

When using a wall wart yes they can get very warm.It means your letting them cook way too long.If you want set and forget charging use something with termination.
HELIFREAK !!!
Old 07-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
Ok those are clearly marked NiMh and a nominal voltage of 1.2 so yes they are rechargeable.

When using a wall wart yes they can get very warm.It means your letting them cook way too long.If you want set and forget charging use something with termination.

My charger is set and forget. It works fine for 3 other brands of batteries. As soon as they're full the light goes red to green and it shuts off the charging function.

I can have these on there for a LONG time and they never register as being full.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I never understood the 5.6V reading on the display with 4 x 1.2V batteries. I would expect to never see more than 4.8V I can understand with Alkaline since they are 1.5 so you could see almost 6V with them in there.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

FWIW most alkaline batteries read closer to 1.7V straight out of the box... so assuming they have .2V over like alkalines do it makes perfect sense. I think they're rated low.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I dont see the fuss about alkaline batteries , i get a years use of regular alkaline batteries. Why would i even think about puttting rechargeables?
emederos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2015, 12:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopterGuy View Post
I never understood the 5.6V reading on the display with 4 x 1.2V batteries. I would expect to never see more than 4.8V I can understand with Alkaline since they are 1.5 so you could see almost 6V with them in there.
That 1.2 is the nominal voltage of the cells. Just like a 3s lipo says its 11.1, but fully charged its 12.6 volts
Old 07-23-2015, 05:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Probably doesn't do much good to reply to post made in a thread from over three years ago, especially since many of them haven't even logged in over a year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in