Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Scorpion ESC and Motor Support

Scorpion ESC and Motor Support Scorpion Power Systems ESC and Motor Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Commander V 130A and Resistor Question

I cannot find the answer to question in the Scorpion manual and wondered if someone here may know the answer.

As far as the resistor is concerned, is it necessary to unplug it before plugging in my packs? Or do just keep the resistor plug in and plug in the packs and ready to go?

Thanks for any help!
Dom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Dom,

The resistor is connected in line with the positive lead.

So when this part of the lead is open circuit the resistor is effectively in circuit. When you connect the two red bullets together you effectively short out the resistor rendering it not in use.

Connect your battery to the ESC with the two red bullets open circuit [resistor is now limiting/passing current]. Once battery is connected, you then simply connect the two red bullets together which 'shorts' the resistor and removes it from the circuit.

The idea of the resistor is to have it in circuit when first connecting the battery. The resistor limits the inrush current which prevents your battery connectors from producing any damaging sparks. Once the battery is connected the resistor has done its job and can be bypassed by connecting the two red bullets together.

Note that you should not leave the resistor in circuit for too long a period as it can heat up reasonably quickly.
Costas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you're using the internal BEC I suggest that you do NOT use the spark suppressor, keep the connector on the red wire plugged in. The resistor will heat up very quickly, within 1 second it can be hot enough to burn your fingers.

See these threads:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=384027
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=374946
Old 03-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockew View Post
If you're using the internal BEC I suggest that you do NOT use the spark suppressor, keep the connector on the red wire plugged in. The resistor will heat up very quickly, within 1 second it can be hot enough to burn your fingers.

See these threads:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=384027
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=374946
Thanks as well for the input and links to the threads! For my setup, I chose not to use the internal BEC. I appreciate the input!
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costas View Post
Hi Dom,

The resistor is connected in line with the positive lead.

So when this part of the lead is open circuit the resistor is effectively in circuit. When you connect the two red bullets together you effectively short out the resistor rendering it not in use.

Connect your battery to the ESC with the two red bullets open circuit [resistor is now limiting/passing current]. Once battery is connected, you then simply connect the two red bullets together which 'shorts' the resistor and removes it from the circuit.

The idea of the resistor is to have it in circuit when first connecting the battery. The resistor limits the inrush current which prevents your battery connectors from producing any damaging sparks. Once the battery is connected the resistor has done its job and can be bypassed by connecting the two red bullets together.

Note that you should not leave the resistor in circuit for too long a period as it can heat up reasonably quickly.
Thanks Costas for nice explanatory posts! I will do that!
Take care,
Dom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in