Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Hitec Radios

Hitec Radios Hitec Radios Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thinking of switching from Spektrum to Aurora

I've been using my trusty DX7 for most of my flying, but find myself wishing for telemetry, the ability to change switch assignments, etc. that some of the newer radios have. I don't trust the DX8 yet (not looking to start a war, just my own opinion), and have come across a good deal on an Aurora 9.

Before I pull the trigger and jump to a new system, are there issues I should be aware of when coming from the Spektrum side? I don't want to go to the time and expense of converting the fleet over only to find out there's a problem. Anything from Spektrum that I'll miss going to Aurora? Hard to learn the new system? Any setup problems?

The Aurora looks like a great unit, has everything I wanted and more it seems. Any Spektrum switchers care to give their feedback?

Thanks!
GT86 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2011, 12:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

well im not a spektrum user but im sure youll love the aurora 9, its so easy to use and every thing has a very easy to use menu,been using mine since day 1 with no problems at all and wouldnt swap it for anything else
nick.m is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

the touch screen is the best part eazy to use i love my hitec 9 simple and very flexible to ok seting more then most radios
Old 11-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

i switched from dx7 to the aurora 9 and have enjoyed every glitch free moment with it,
however if you intend to go fbl, setups are better/easier with either spek or futaba on most fbl units that require sats
speedyboy9 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

and fbl system should work with the radio im going to use beastx with it
Old 11-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been running this radio for almost 4 years now just fine no glitches what so ever. I have it running with the beastx just fine.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up Do It!

I have switched from a Spektrum DX8 to a Hitec Aurora 9. Soooo glad I did! Nothing but problems with my DX8. Lost 3 planes because of it losing link for no apparent reason. Changed my TX and ALL my 15 spektrum receivers to Hitec. Havent looked back. Not so much as a glitch in countless flights. Aurora 9 feels much more solidly built too. The DX8 feels "fragile" to me. Cant recommend the Hitec gear enough.

Cheers Matt
mte1970 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

good to see some people on the other side of the pond using this radio. Yea the dx8 feels alot better then the other spektrum radios but not as solid as the A9.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used to fly spektrum/JR sold all my stuff and went the A9. I am very happy I did, the only down side is, every time i buy a used heli i have to sell the spektrum junk that comes with it.

I have been flying planes and helis with the A9 and love it!
]{iller3d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 01:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default DX6I to A9

I just jumped from a DX6I to the A9.

Surprises that I got were:
1. On the A9, the trainer switch is where my throttle hold was on the DX6I. Takes some getting used to.
2. Only the 9 channel receiver has any form of antenna diversity. Below that - single antenna only. Also the 7ch receiver has connections on both ends of the receiver, which you need to take into account when planning the instalation.

Also DO watch the Finless A9 videos. There are some gotya's in the programming like Seperate and Combined curves that will throw you.

Craig
Adventurer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
I just jumped from a DX6I to the A9.
Surprises that I got were:
1. On the A9, the trainer switch is where my throttle hold was on the DX6I. Takes some getting used to.
2. Only the 9 channel receiver has any form of antenna diversity. Below that - single antenna only. Also the 7ch receiver has connections on both ends of the receiver, which you need to take into account when planning the instalation.
Also DO watch the Finless A9 videos. There are some gotya's in the programming like Seperate and Combined curves that will throw you. CraigI
All switches are re-assignable and if really needed, the toggle switch is easily relocated or changed to a push button:
Aurora 9 - Switches Re-assign/Swap Switches and or Functions. "F" & "H" - DIY notes.
Aurora 9 - Switch Replace with Push Buttons pictorial.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers & Telemetry - FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
All switches are re-assignable and if really needed, the toggle switch is easily relocated or changed to a push button:
Aurora 9 - Switches Re-assign/Swap Switches and or Functions. "F" & "H" - DIY notes.
Aurora 9 - Switch Replace with Push Buttons pictorial.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers & Telemetry - FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
I don't think that I'll attacking my 6 flight-old A9 with a soldering iron just yet. I must admit that the push-button mod did get my attention - as a bail-out switch for Co-Pilot-II.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No model match on the A9, right?

VControl, Neo, Hobbywing, Goblin 570(s)
povern is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by povern View Post
No model match on the A9, right?
Yes - 'fraid so. This one has me a bit worried as MM has very recently saved me from trying to fly my 450 with the Phoenix model selected.

If we had more channels, then we could just use a different channel for the throttle on each model. I don't think that there's an answer for this - except mindfulness.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

model match is not needed if you are watching what your doing all the time
Old 01-22-2012, 02:51 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

I've only had experience with my Spektrum DX6i... but I'm not sure how "model match" is working for me.
If I power up the radio with the wrong model, it won't allow me to connect to the receiver.

Does no MM on the A9 mean that ANY model I choose on the Aurora will operate ALL of the receivers, whether that "model" setting was bound to the receiver in question or not?

Thank you!
Sam
Sambonator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 03:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yep Sam you got it.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Model Match is not needed if you are carring out your safety checks as you should be.

2.4 is a marked step forward in model safety, this does not mean we should start not bothering with our safety checks. Model flying can be a dangerous hobby when abused or taken for granted.

You should be checking your selected model EVERY time you switch on your TX, do this and you'll never miss model match.

As for switching, don't hestiate the A9 is an awesome radio that will blow your old Spektrum out of the water, instead of Model match you have RX battery voltage, far more important.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:50 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz From Brum View Post
Model Match is not needed if you are carring out your safety checks as you should be.
Yes yes, we all know this. However, brain-farts still do happen.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:15 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just had another surprise.

I'm busy converting my fleet to the A9 from Spectrum.

Those Optima 6 and 7 receivers are realy big. I was planning on unplugging the Spectrum receiver and replacing them with Optima 7s in the same location. However, there's simply no way to get an Optima 7 inside a 450 Pro, My Spectrum receivers are all inside, but the Optima 7 will not fit, so I need to re-route the wiring outside the frame.

I now notice that I should probably have used Minima receivers, but the LHS remained silent about the existence of these, so I have Optima 7's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in