Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > X5

X5 Discussion and support of the Gaui X5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Got new X5 FES today..couple of questions

I've flown helis for 6 years and always have flown Align so this is my first heli build from another manufacture. I was building my X5 today and had a couple of questions.

1) I used the screws stated in the manual to mount the servos. I noticed the two bottom screws on the elevator servo bottom out and hit the boom. I took them out measured them to make sure I was using 10mm like the manual stated and sure enough I had the right size......this normal?

2) I also noticed the the two front servos (aileron and pitch) when using the carbon fiber to mount them just don't seem to seat flush, just doesn't seem like it should be like that, the slit in the carbon doesn't seat nicely on the servo case.......am I the only one experiencing this?

3) I always disassemble everything in a kit to make sure things are lubricated and loctite is used, when rebuilding the the tail assembly and grips I noticed they used two completely different screws to mount the plastic tail blade grips to pitch slider, guess someone at the factory missed that but doesn't seem to be a big deal, the major deal is even after putting a lot of tri flow on the tail shaft it still gets stuck for a brief second when the slider gets close to the end of the shaft (farthest from the gear). All my align helis pitch sliders are smooth as silk and don't get hung up at all, just seeing if this is normal on the X5 kits and what I need to do to fix it.

Thanks in advance for the replies, I know my questions are kind of lengthy but I know I will get the help I need, thanks!
TCU 02xp is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

As for the servo mounting tabs, make sure you're using some sort of rubber dampener to mount them. This will make them fit more flush and also prevent vibes from reaching the servos--most servos come with them. Realize each servo is a little different so it may depend on the brand. I used hitech servos and they seemed to fit fine once I put rubber tabs at each screw hole.

I'm not sure about the tail slider. I did not have that issue. Sorry I can't help further.

Good luck. Really the build was very straightforward.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nex? Vas?
adam crosby is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2011, 05:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

TCU, congrats on your purchase and welcome onboard

As Sandman mentioned, make sure you use servo grommets and thier inserts,loctite and nip em up. No need to squash the inserts as it will negate their purpose.

As for the tail, it's not the slider but the excess throw in that direction(towards grips)ie with rotation anyways.... the ball pivot gets onto an angle that gives some binding. Two things i do, work the ball on the pivot at the extremes and i usually set my tail limits just before the tight spot. About 3mm off the hub. Will still give you plenty,plenty ,plenty angle on the grips and will also keep your endpoints fairly even if 0 is set with 3+degrees.

The other thing is to use the inner grub screw locating divots on the tail shaft. Will be able to set right onto the hub then. I use the outer as can pretty much eyeball my setups these days to hold in rate etc. Got used to it.

Please let us know how it goes for you and yell out if any questions.
Pics, flight report, opinions are all super appreciated

Vas
torana74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Man you guys are great! I should have this thing flying tomorrow, need to redo servos today and set up beast ( only have experience with 3G). I'll get pics and videos done tomorrow.

What distance does the ball need to be on the cyclic arms, I read 13mm is the magic number on the tail servo. Thanks for everything!
Old 09-10-2011, 09:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

18mm from centre cyclic, 13mm tail

if you have the pc interface for the beastx, would highly recommend doing the v3.

Vas
torana74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

TCU
These X5 fellas are good aren't they

Thanks Vas
adam crosby is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great guys and thanks for the help. I'm heading out to fly it for the first time today, like said I'll get some photos and hopefully video.

This is my first beast and one quick question. After flying for 6 years with flybar and now 3G I'm always use to going to the swash menu to turn up the aileron and elevator number to get the heli to roll and flip quicker, also I'm use to going to the rudder Travel adjust to get the heli to piro quicker or slower. Since the radio thinks it's set up as one servo. How do I change the parameters I mentioned above? Thanks to all of you that have helped me a lot!
Old 09-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

FYI flying a dx8. Appreciate it.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCU 02xp View Post
Since the radio thinks it's set up as one servo. How do I change the parameters I mentioned above? Thanks to all of you that have helped me a lot!
Use endpoint adjustments on aileron/elev/rudder or even better try dual rates to test new settings. Also you'll want to put the microbeast into transmitter mode rather than one of its built-in sports/pro/expert settings.
Stoats is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just my opinion but for a first time MB user, I find that sometimes its easier for the user to setup using one of the preset MB behavior controls. Setup the MB as per the manual. Then, once you have a few flights on it, and you feel comfortable tweaking, go ahead and try Transmitter Mode control behavior. Experiment with different DRs, Expo rates, etc.... This gives the user a good feel for 'all' the MB can do.

Either way, take your time through the setup. Getting that swash level in setup menu G is critical.

Good luck!
Rick
s76 mech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow I guess I know what they mean when they say the Grin Club I took out the beast today and flew it a total of 4 times. The first two times I used the default "sport" setting then I changed it expert or whatever the top level is before the transmitter setting. Since I fly hard 3d I was really impressed how it flew with this setting. I will say the only weird thing it had and I was curious if you guys have experienced this is when I came into land at the end of a flight it would start oscillating real bad almost like a really tight bobble like a gain was too high. While bobbling I immediately changed flight modes to see if a higher or lower head speed would fix it and it didn't.

I haven't put V3 on it yet but when I looked in the manual it said to check for tight ball links or redo the swash cyclic throw in the menu and/or make sure the cyclic pitch was set for 6 degrees. I will say I put in the red dampeners but that should be my problem. Any ideas? Sorry for killing everyone with all the questions but I do appreciate all the help. -Joey
Old 09-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I meant to say the red dampeners SHOULDN'T be my problem.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

i had the same problem, jesus bolt wasn't tight enough
P.I.Engineer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Also look into the KBDD Flybarless dampers. They helped a few of my customers with wobbles. I have not heard of one disappointed Gaui X5 owner that uses the KDDD Flybarless LIME dampers, including myself.
akamullen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2011, 09:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can induce the bobble at lower head speeds if I turn the cyclic gain pot up.

On higher head speeds I can turn it up, for lower head speeds I turn it down,

With a good gov setup , you don't have to worry about losing headspeed at the end of the pack.
fusionsx00 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in