Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 250 CFX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2016, 04:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default For anyone interested - Blade 250CFX

Just got an email from Horizon saying they're back in stock. I won't be buying one any time soon because I already have a 230S, but I'm curious to see what the reviews say as they start rolling in.
Mike680 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2016, 02:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Got the email...

... 250 CFX in stock/ ready to ship. I like the
230 S, wonder if it will go away... Anyhow, with
the 10% off and the BIGTICKET, I made an order,
couldn't help myself. $60.00 off per unit. Guess
that made me do it. Also looking for the new 200 S.
I guess it will replace the 200 SRX. I also like the
SRX; great backyard flyer. Just too fragile. So, will
see what that looks like.

Little nervous, don't like to be first to try something
new. Hope it's a good flyer...

Drifter...
driftermickh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2016, 02:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's an interesting venture. I know it's nitpicking but one would think they would want a better picture of the AR636A without the bubbled clear plastic on top of it for advertising. Somebody just forgot to peel it off I'm guessing.
I'm into buying used lately so will wait for now.
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2016, 09:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got mine today! I can't wait to get home and get to know it.
dlm4001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2016, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well the coupon was a nice surprise when I picked my 250 CFX up today. Thanks Horizon.

I made 4 quick flights when I got home after the usual setup and tight checks. This is not intended to be a review, just initial impression.

Set up by the book, (Except I put my stability, Intermediate and Agility mode on a separate switch) I like independent control of the head speed and the mode. I used a Venom 1300, and Eflite 1350, and a Mad Dog 1300 (3S) for batteries. The Mad Dog was a little heavier, but not much. The Venom was my favorite, probably because it was lighter. I used my DX9 radio.

My first take off was not using Stability Mode, in case there was the disk leaning thing like there is in the 230 S. I did not want to trash a brand new set of carbon fiber blades before I got to fly it. In Normal, a little above 50% collective and she took off clean. She hovered great which indicated the swash plate leveling was good. I switched to Stability Mode and she was solid. I bought the 230S the day it came out, and there was that drift issue that I have since fixed with the leveling procedure.) I flew around a bit testing the bank limiting and it felt like I was flying the 200 SRX. Solid. (not my preferred method of flying)

Back to intermediate, mid rates and IU1 (80%), and the heli came alive. I instantly noticed it was more collective happy than the 230 S. I jerked it around a bit and the tail was very authoritative. It seemed tighter than my 230 S... but it has been rebuilt several times (hey, it is a training helo) It may have more collective pop than my 300 CFX, but that may be because it is lighter. It was very nimble at this setting. I flew some circuits and it tracked well. It seemed very familiar. at times like my 230 S and other times like my 300 CFX... and it should as it is a mash up of the two.

Agility mode at IU1 was very responsive. Went to IU2 and jerked it around, very nice, crisp. Then to IU2, Agility and high rates. A BIG loop, plenty of power for high speed entry into a loop. Then a half loop and inverted. Then a couple of forward and backwards flips and a stall turn. Then (at altitude) hard collective positive-negative-positive top test the response and it popped. (not like a Oxy 3 Cubed, but very nice).

4 minutes 30 seconds... tested the Venom battery, 48% 6 minute flights are easy, but mileage will vary depending on how hard you are flying.

OK, now the things you are waiting for. The things that make it ...unique. First, it does have that behavior on the ground in stability mode that some people don't like. I have never had my 230 S tip over on the ground, but I 'fly" the rotor disk while spooling up. As soon as it starts creating lift, I am on the sticks. As soon as the rpm comes up, I am flying regardless if the skids are touching the ground. I tried it on the 250 CFX and it did not seem as bad, but I would never just let it go to find out. Several tame stability mode takes completed. IF you are not used to flying the A23X stability mode on take off, do yourself a favor and get some Lynx Plastic blades to start with so you don't trash a $30 USD set of carbon fiber blades right off the bat.

Sound... very odd. No, I am not talking about the verti-bird sound the motorized tail makes (which is just like the 230 S), but main shaft drive line has a very peculiar sound. I loosened the main gear pinion mesh to see if that was it and it did not. It is loud, and it is harmonic driven (it pulsates at different frequencies as you increase and decrease RPM in Normal.) I don't know how to describe it but my wife came out and said "sounds like something is loose." I told her I checked everything and she said, "well it sounds like it is coming apart". I am curious to see if it is mine or if other people have the same sound. The sound is much louder with the canopy on. For the record, there was no vibration visible on the skids or tail fin. I think it is just the motor, pinion, main gear combo. There were no negative effects other than it scared a rabbit out of the bush.

Light was fading and I only got in a few quick flights. My initial impression. Fun. If you liked the 230 S you will like this one. I think the additional power and the crispness of the stiffer frame and blades is welcomed. Out of the box, the AS3X seemed to be spot on. (really good for that nose-in hover practice.) I did test the Panic mode once, and it snapped right into level attitude. If you liked the 300 CFX, you will like it as it is very familiar feeling. If you really like the Gaui X5 V2, then this is probably not your heli.
dlm4001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2016, 07:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for sharing..
Nytro97 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2016, 07:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

How was the CG and were piros spot on or was it tail heavy like the 230S causing significant drift with the rudder stick pegged?
Old 09-01-2016, 09:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

whats different on the 250?just a lil bigger and its a CFX frame not plastic

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2016, 09:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoweredrc View Post
whats different on the 250?just a lil bigger and its a CFX frame not plastic
More powerful main motor, larger battery and longer blades.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Any idea if the 250 motor could fit in the 230?
Old 09-07-2016, 12:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrataco View Post
Any idea if the 250 motor could fit in the 230?
Yes, it appears it can with no mods to the frame. The 250CFX has the old 300CFX motor. It's been posted somewhere around here before with pictures. I can't remember if the motor mount needs to be modded or not, though.

Found it for ya. Even better as it's a video.

https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=90
Old 09-07-2016, 12:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

sweet. thanks. I may have to try that. I like my 230 but wish it had a little more power, especially with the night blades.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrataco View Post
sweet. thanks. I may have to try that. I like my 230 but wish it had a little more power, especially with the night blades.
Same here, but I'm really trying to not throw any more money into mine. It's a sweet little heli as it is. I wonder how much closer to tail blowout the more powerful motor would be, though.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

For comparison, I tried the fairly comparable Mystery motor in the 230, and you definitely need to tune it to avoid tail issues. You can mess with the pinion, collective, and gains, and in the end you get a more powerful heli with much shorter flight times that you can't do that much more with because max rates on the 230s are set for beginning 3D.

Sounds like the rates on the 250 are a little higher, but I don't think it's intended to replace the 270 skill level.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm4001 View Post
Well the coupon was a nice surprise when I picked my 250 CFX up today. Thanks Horizon.

I made 4 quick flights when I got home after the usual setup and tight checks. This is not intended to be a review, just initial impression.

Set up by the book, (Except I put my stability, Intermediate and Agility mode on a separate switch) I like independent control of the head speed and the mode. I used a Venom 1300, and Eflite 1350, and a Mad Dog 1300 (3S) for batteries. The Mad Dog was a little heavier, but not much. The Venom was my favorite, probably because it was lighter. I used my DX9 radio.

My first take off was not using Stability Mode, in case there was the disk leaning thing like there is in the 230 S. I did not want to trash a brand new set of carbon fiber blades before I got to fly it. In Normal, a little above 50% collective and she took off clean. She hovered great which indicated the swash plate leveling was good. I switched to Stability Mode and she was solid. I bought the 230S the day it came out, and there was that drift issue that I have since fixed with the leveling procedure.) I flew around a bit testing the bank limiting and it felt like I was flying the 200 SRX. Solid. (not my preferred method of flying)

Back to intermediate, mid rates and IU1 (80%), and the heli came alive. I instantly noticed it was more collective happy than the 230 S. I jerked it around a bit and the tail was very authoritative. It seemed tighter than my 230 S... but it has been rebuilt several times (hey, it is a training helo) It may have more collective pop than my 300 CFX, but that may be because it is lighter. It was very nimble at this setting. I flew some circuits and it tracked well. It seemed very familiar. at times like my 230 S and other times like my 300 CFX... and it should as it is a mash up of the two.

Agility mode at IU1 was very responsive. Went to IU2 and jerked it around, very nice, crisp. Then to IU2, Agility and high rates. A BIG loop, plenty of power for high speed entry into a loop. Then a half loop and inverted. Then a couple of forward and backwards flips and a stall turn. Then (at altitude) hard collective positive-negative-positive top test the response and it popped. (not like a Oxy 3 Cubed, but very nice).

4 minutes 30 seconds... tested the Venom battery, 48% 6 minute flights are easy, but mileage will vary depending on how hard you are flying.

OK, now the things you are waiting for. The things that make it ...unique. First, it does have that behavior on the ground in stability mode that some people don't like. I have never had my 230 S tip over on the ground, but I 'fly" the rotor disk while spooling up. As soon as it starts creating lift, I am on the sticks. As soon as the rpm comes up, I am flying regardless if the skids are touching the ground. I tried it on the 250 CFX and it did not seem as bad, but I would never just let it go to find out. Several tame stability mode takes completed. IF you are not used to flying the A23X stability mode on take off, do yourself a favor and get some Lynx Plastic blades to start with so you don't trash a $30 USD set of carbon fiber blades right off the bat.

Sound... very odd. No, I am not talking about the verti-bird sound the motorized tail makes (which is just like the 230 S), but main shaft drive line has a very peculiar sound. I loosened the main gear pinion mesh to see if that was it and it did not. It is loud, and it is harmonic driven (it pulsates at different frequencies as you increase and decrease RPM in Normal.) I don't know how to describe it but my wife came out and said "sounds like something is loose." I told her I checked everything and she said, "well it sounds like it is coming apart". I am curious to see if it is mine or if other people have the same sound. The sound is much louder with the canopy on. For the record, there was no vibration visible on the skids or tail fin. I think it is just the motor, pinion, main gear combo. There were no negative effects other than it scared a rabbit out of the bush.

Light was fading and I only got in a few quick flights. My initial impression. Fun. If you liked the 230 S you will like this one. I think the additional power and the crispness of the stiffer frame and blades is welcomed. Out of the box, the AS3X seemed to be spot on. (really good for that nose-in hover practice.) I did test the Panic mode once, and it snapped right into level attitude. If you liked the 300 CFX, you will like it as it is very familiar feeling. If you really like the Gaui X5 V2, then this is probably not your heli.
Could not have summed it better myself. It flys like a hybrid 230s/300cfx. I'm really liking it. Maybe a hair more than the 230s. Both are great helis for learning. The 250 maybe a little easier to fly becasue it seems to float bit more than the 230s. On the Phoenix sim I fly the 300x and it flys a lot like the 250cfx. The 250 setup on my tx will even work on the 300x sim model.
Mine also makes that unusual staccato pulsing noise, mainly when the collective is at mid-stick. I'm assuming this is normal since you have it too and everything is tight on mine as well. No effect on performance that I can tell.
heinz9 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in