Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Analog servos and different FBL Systems

I know that not all fbl systems will work with analog servos. Out of the fbl controllers that do are there some that work better than others? Thinking of a 450 size heli with hs65's in particular.
GBKSU is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I suggest upgrading the servos first, it's a reason why many does not even allow it/support it.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

the only system that supports analog servos iirc is the old Align 3G
so yea new servos first
AMA#948801
Elios000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

VBar Pro does it, but the reason for that is for big scale fliers, not for 450 with analog servos.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elios000 View Post
so yea new servos first
I asked in the 3g forum and they said you can't use analog servos with 3g. Now I am confused.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Analog servos aren't worth your time. You will forever be tuning and tweaking for a performance the servos will never deliver.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Beastx, Skookum, VBar, and Tarot will work with analog according to specs. What I am interested in knowing is whether or not one system works better with analogs vs another. I know that digital is better, but it obviously is not a necessity either. I am not a pro. I know there are quite a few beastx users running analogs on a 450 with satisfactory results just wondering if one system would be more suitable for analog servos now with the option of always being able to upgrade servos or move on to a larger heli and have a fbl controller already.
GBKSU is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

bottom line is they all kinda suck with them for any thing other then BIG scale ships
AMA#948801
Elios000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

about the only analog servo that works well on a 450 is the hitec hs65 harbonite or metal gear. Works espescialy well with beastx and appropriate 65hz frequency setting. A lot of guy's can't tell the difference between them or the digital version unless you are doing true smack to the wall 3d. As far as I am concerened it is the only analog I would use with beastx or any other fbl units that can support analog cyclics. Anything over a 450 and digital is the only way to go.
scott s is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBKSU View Post
Beastx, Skookum, VBar, and Tarot will work with analog according to specs. What I am interested in knowing is whether or not one system works better with analogs vs another. I know that digital is better, but it obviously is not a necessity either. I am not a pro. I know there are quite a few beastx users running analogs on a 450 with satisfactory results just wondering if one system would be more suitable for analog servos now with the option of always being able to upgrade servos or move on to a larger heli and have a fbl controller already.

Tarot zyx works very well with hitec hs65hb, I know because I am flying one and I am very happy with the setup. I do however have a decent tail servo which is digital, but the hs 65s are on the cyclic and will stay there till they need replacing. Therefore if like me you are not Curtis Youngblood and like most people cannot fly to the limits of the system you will be ok
Busher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have to disagree, it's not about how hard you fly or how good at all, it's about how big the window of "ease to get a good setup" gets.

Analog servos = it get VERY small, offset geometry or blades, or even worn bearings and you get wobbles and all sort of problems which would been a total none-issue if using digitals.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

I see this all to often, guys who want to improve their flying but their heli flies so poorly they cant.... but they insist they will get better gear when their flying improves.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am using hitec 65mg servos running on 6 volts with beastx and I have no problems with them. I am not a pro pilot I am a sport pilot.
helicopter1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 06:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMel View Post
I have to disagree, it's not about how hard you fly or how good at all, it's about how big the window of "ease to get a good setup" gets.

Analog servos = it get VERY small, offset geometry or blades, or even worn bearings and you get wobbles and all sort of problems which would been a total none-issue if using digitals.
I agree with you about the set up, the system has to be well set and in good repair otherwise the system is working against you. I considered that as read .
I have not got analogues on anything else in my stable only the 450,
I have no experience on larger heli's with a flybarless setup and analogues. I just thought i would try the heli as it was and just put the flybarless unit on and flew it. The setup works good for me at present I was pleasantly surprised.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicD View Post
I see this all to often, guys who want to improve their flying but their heli flies so poorly they cant.... but they insist they will get better gear when their flying improves.
If my heli flew like a bag of spanners I would do something about it.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is the preference for digital servos on FBL over analog based primarily on the speed of the servo? I could see why putting a slow servo on cyclic of a FBL heli would be as hard to tune as a slow servo on the tail.

As far as tail, any servo that responds slower than the gyro is going to be doing a lot of hunting (wagging). Does that translate into cyclic for FBL?
Beachcomber is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

You don't actually need fast servos for FBL, the servos move much slower than they do on a FB head. What you do need is the servos to be precise and stronger (both of which you don't get with analog).
Old 04-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've got my 450 SE v1.5 on HS-65MG and an futaba CGY-750, flys beautifully, have no desire to upgrade the servos at all, I don't see there being any benefit to me, it just flys right.

Regards,
Andreas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
Is the preference for digital servos on FBL over analog based primarily on the speed of the servo? I could see why putting a slow servo on cyclic of a FBL heli would be as hard to tune as a slow servo on the tail.

As far as tail, any servo that responds slower than the gyro is going to be doing a lot of hunting (wagging). Does that translate into cyclic for FBL?
Its not so much the speed but how they move. An analogue servo's speed is a function of how far it is commanded to move (further the faster up to the specs). Obviously this is less than ideal for FBL (lots of small corrections). A digital servo always drives as hard as possible, so speed is the same whether you command 1° or 60°.

Speed is not so critical for FBL anyway, (not compared to the tail) torque is just as important. Keep in mind the manufacturers give the speed at no load and it drops a lot if you get near the rated torque figures. This is why you dont put a tail servo on the cyclic.

Analogue servos will work with many FBL systems, but digital ones work far better (and as they are designed for rapid corrections, will likely last longer too).
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elios000 View Post
so yea new servos first
nah,, use hs65 and its burn the servo right away..

beatX and vbar do ,, but with beatX the servos worn out fast.....my experience within 30 flight its sloopy,,, and shaking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in