Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Hirobo Nitro Helicopters > Hirobo Electric Helicopters

Hirobo Electric Helicopters Hirobo Lepton EX, Quark and other Electric Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Quark SG

Hi guys, don't know if anyone here still flies the Quark SG.

I picked one up used about a month ago and had it converted by Rudiger Feil in Germany to Spektrum 2.4Ghz.

I've presently got it bound to my DX8 in receiver mode 3.

In the manual, there is a section on setting the proper rotor speed and pitch by checking that the LED glows orange just when the heli lifts off. However, I have also found videos online from Hirobo where the SG is secured to a scale and the maximum thrust on full positive and negative are measured in normal and idle up modes.

I've done both, the problem is, the two procedures yield different results, i.e. pitch setting.

Has anyone done this before?

I'm thinking the scale method is better since my Quark with the extra 2.4 receiver and after-market battery doesn't weigh the same as a stock Quark. Or does it not matter, since the LED method compensates and yields the most stable and efficient flight attitude. Or am I overthinking this and should just set pitch to my liking ?
jak3All3n is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 02:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've been flying a 2.4 gHz SG, also from R. Feil, for years. I used the led method a long time ago and never made any adjustments even though I have since added the led-light kit and 3rd party Lipos.

I would'nt worry about it, just set the pitch as you like, using the led or scale as a guide.

You may have noticed that the SG is a very forgiving machine and will take anything you throw at it. It is one of my favorites and always gets compliments when I fly it at the club!

Good luck!
Ciao,
Bob
gratefulfrog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

hey bob, thanks for sharing your experience.

I first had pitch adjusted using the LED method and though the quark flew well indoors, it was a little hard to bring down outdoors, the wind would take it up. that's when I realized I didn't have enough negative pitch.

so I checked it using the scale method. I was getting something like 430g of positive lift and only about 70g of negative lift on idle up 1. so I adjusted it per the hirobo videos and now have around 380g of positive lift and 140g of negative.

the problem now is that it feels underpowered, the heli is sluggish to lift up, I liked it much better using the led method.

so that's what I'm going to do, I'm gonna readjust using the led method and at the same time increase my negative pitch travel in the tx. hopefully that'll solve both positive and negative thrust issues.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi

It sounds odd that you have to make so much adjustment. Maybe write to Rudiger and ask what he thinks? My SG really flew perfectly out of the box, no tweaking or fine tuning, but I only fly indoors at a club. I never measured the lift and the led was nearly perfect when I set up my tx.

Anyway, tinkering is always fun and on a SG it's pretty easy. Don't give up the SG should fly like a dream!

Ciao,
Bob
gratefulfrog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi Bob, don't get me wrong, the SG flew great out of the box for me as well, but being the tinkerer that I am, I just had to mess with it .

I know that I'll be perfectly happy once again with the SG's flight characteristics once I reset pitch following the LED method, I just wanted a little more negative pitch for flying outdoors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in