Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Audacity

Audacity Audacity Pantera Helicopters Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Motor day . . . and getting put to work!

I spent a couple of hours the other day making a table for the pumps in the well house. This, because the steel table I used 10 years ago had deteriorated (we have low concentrations of both sulfur and salt in our water so it's very rough on metal). Hmmm, I see I'm telling the story out of order so let me back up and explain . . . we just experienced 'motor day'.

After waking and doing my morning ablutions (brushing my teeth using the bathroom, etc.) I went for my morning bicycle ride (my fat axe has to get some form of exercise and this is it). Following a dip in the pool I went to shower but there was no water. Turns out one of the pumps in the well-house had crapped out during the hour I was gone.

Determining what exactly was wrong was tricky because the pump motor was running. Not finding a leak I was baffled until I discovered the pressure gauge, which showed pressure, was stuck. I only discovered this when I cross fed the pumps and had water going everywhere from the seal of the failed pump (once it lost prime there was no water so despite the fact the motor was spinning there was no pumping of anything but air). Worse, in the process of performing the cross feed, as I yanked on one of the valves, the whole table nearly collapsed on me! Turns out the steel was only being held together with the paint - seriously - because about half of the steel rack structure simply fell away.

Naturally, this meant a new pump table in addition to repairing the pump. Unfortunately, after making the table and just as I began delving into pump repair, I heard the condenser fan-motor (for the HVAC system) start up and it sounded bad. Basically, it was making bad-bearing noises. This led me to immediately drop everything to go purchase a replacement motor because in FL, no AC is worse than no water!

Anyway, while effecting the condenser-motor replacement I realized the new swimming pool pump was awful quiet. It's brand new and very, very quiet (I know because I just replaced it 10 days ago). But it's not 'that' quiet. Yup, the pool-pump motor had crapped out also. Granted, the well-pump failure wasn't the motor because the seal between pump housing and motor is what failed so technically that shouldn't be considered part of motor-day but it's my story (so I'll tell it as I please).

However, something good motor-related did happen because the new Pmax motors, which we ordered several months ago, finally showed up - yippee! As background, you should know we've been experimenting with a 'lot' of motors in an effort to develop a standard e-power package. Anyway, we've had such great success with the Pmax it's become the only motor I want to offer and thus, I had some custom wound. We have them in 450, 520, 630, and 720kv (kv, of course, being RPM per volt) and unlike 4035 motors, which feature an 8mm shaft internally (and despite being loaded with 3-bearing stacks still suffer from bearing issues), the Pmax has a 10mm shaft. Basically, it's assembled with big honking bearings (the same size as those on the Pantera main shaft) and thus, are very reliable and trouble-free, which unless you like wrenching on your models is a major plus. Added to which, the Pmax is in a whole other league power-wise compared to any 4035 on the planet (think OS105 vs OS55 and you'll be getting into the right frame of mind).

Anyway, from the picture you'll notice how unlike nearly every motor offered, it's not black. This is because I had the rotor (the part housing the magnets) chromed. Combined with the red anodizing of the aluminum bell ends I think it really comes off looking rather nice, but I digress from the other part of this story, which is . . . don't come in person to pick up your parts because you may well find yourself put to work!

Case in point, rather late in the day (I spent an inordinate amount of time seeking and finally finding a replacement seal for the well pump) I turned my attention back to restoring water to the house - what started the whole episode of motor-day. That's when Brent showed up to get some stuff for his latest build. He was on his way home off the ship and didn't want to wait even one day to work on his latest project. Brent, like everybody else who wants to stop by to pick up their parts (versus relying on the brown truck for delivery), got told, "I'm kind of busy and you might get put to work!" but he came anyway.

And sure enough, he ended up helping me wrestle the new pump table into place (rather tight quarters and the table, being made of PT lumber, is rather heavy). Heck, Brent even bolted the pumps into place and BTW, in case you're wondering, the table supports the pumps at bench-top height principally so I don't have to work hunched over while servicing them.

Thus, now you know why yesterday was motor-day . . . and more importantly, why you're welcome to pick up your parts in person, but it's at the risk of being put to work!

Cheers,

John Beech
www.genesishobby.comTel: 407-302-3361
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before - steel table1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	594335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Before - steel table2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	594336   Click image for larger version

Name:	John and Brent in pump house.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	594337   Click image for larger version

Name:	PDRM5858-520a.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	594338   Click image for larger version

Name:	PDRM5858-520b.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	594339  

AMA # 47381, IRCHA #745
jbeech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2015, 06:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

John, we lead somewhat similar lives.
1. Our well died, the one-valve failed after 30 years of service.
2. The pool filter sprung a leak.
3. A sprinkler zone failed, on. This zone is on the main supply, meaning I needed to turn off the water for the whole house. I found another solution. In California, with water police checking everything. ( not joking, we have water-maids instead of meter-maids)
4. The water heater failed, so I took a bath this morning in the pool.
5. A bunch of other stuff. Every day I am greeted at the door when coming home from work "This ________ is broken".

This is why my modelling has been on hold for a while. Luckily, like you, I can fix most things.
Rick Harms
rharms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2015, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad to help... I was considering digging the Schwinn Air-Dyne out of storage in the future but after seeing that photo it's coming out tomorrrow.
bdrannik is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2015, 10:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Go for it. I've worked myself up to daily rides of between 12 and 14 miles. Today, for example, 12.5 miles in 58 minutes. This pace isn't loafing but it's not Lance Armstrong either - basically it's in the worked-up-a-sweat category. Anyway, I've managed to 'lose' 40 pounds and figure I've got another 50 to go. Not easy. I wish you good luck!
AMA # 47381, IRCHA #745
jbeech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2015, 10:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Will work for parts.....
jiminator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in