Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > 4#3, 4#3a, 4#3b, 4#3Q

4#3, 4#3a, 4#3b, 4#3Q Walkera 4#3, 4#3a, 4#3b, 4#3Q Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 11:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Heli drops out of the sky after 10-30 seconds of flight.

Then the receiver blinks slowly.

I was flying outside today and on the 3rd flight I was doing some FFF and it just dropped out of the sky. The motor was warm, but not hot, Neither was the battery or ESC. The LED was blinking slowly as if you turned off the transmitter. After that I unplugged the battery and transmitter then plugged it back in and re-binded. The receiver bonds perfectly and servo movement is normal. If I don't power up the motor it will stay connected for an unlimited amount of time.

I have 4 batteries. All charge to atleast 4.11 volts. Including the two new 600mah 20C batteries from wowhobbies (the "TurboAce" from my other thread).

The solder joints from the battery connector to the ESC is good. The battery connection itself is good. All read >1 ohm resistance measured with my multimeter.

The brushless motor connection is good, and the motor itself spins very easily to full RPM.

Sometimes the heli will have full flight power, for about 30 seconds then it just drops out of the sky. Sometimes if I hold it in my hand and try to go to full throttle it will stop at about 50% power for less than 5 seconds and the receiver will start blinking.

The transmitter still shows full power. I don't know honestly if the power indicator on the 4#3b transmitter (2401?) is actually a functioning power meter (green, yellow, red) or not but mine shows green. If I power up the heli but don't give it any throttle, after binding I can still control the servos from 50+ feet so I know it's not the transmitter batteries.

Is there a way to test if its either the receiver or the ESC? I'm happy with the factory ESC's power especially the 3 or so flights I got out of the new 20C batteries. Plenty of "pop" for this little bugger. Flys circuits much easier now, and didn't lose as much altitude when giving rudder input in a hover. So if its the receiver screwing up it'll just give me an excuse to buy a 2406C from a CB100. If its the ESC gone bad then I may upgrade, may not, whichever I can get for a reasonable price.
poor_red_neck is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2010, 07:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by poor_red_neck View Post
Then the receiver blinks slowly.

I was flying outside today and on the 3rd flight I was doing some FFF and it just dropped out of the sky. The motor was warm, but not hot, Neither was the battery or ESC. The LED was blinking slowly as if you turned off the transmitter.
Take the canopy off and remove the yellow RX cover.

You will see a small metal can on one side of the circuit board that is encased in a transparent silicone sheath.

Check the two legs of this metal can for any breakage.... Once I had this can's legs break on my 4#3b in a hard crash. First, I had exactly the same symptoms as you until it finally refused to bind with TX.

The obvious solution if you saw some breaks or loose legs is to solder them back to the place they used to go. It's not an easy task due to the size of thing and you may need magnifying glass to do it!

timewerx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 10:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Is it a capacitor? My yellow case has already come off. I have heatshrink on it now. Do u mind snapping a few pics if its not a bother.

Sounds like my problem as today I got a 1 minute flight and now it wont bind at all
Old 06-27-2010, 09:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is the only pic I got left, don't have the RX anymore. Shown in the pic is an RX2406B with the arrow pointing to the metal can you must check for damaged legs.

It's a resonator. If it's damaged beyond repair, just buy a new(damn expensive!) RX. It's the RX's Achilles Heel, and you won't find a replacement part anywhere. I've even tried alternatives - same specs but different serial number from an electronics hobby store, didn't work.

Should you decide to buy a new RX, go for 2406C (one for CB100). The best one I've tried and worked perfectly with my double brushless 4#3b. Tail hold is superb, it's almost like heading hold!

timewerx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 02:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Gotcha thanks for the pic!

Ill check it when I get home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in