Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 300X

300X Blade 300X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default lynx main gear question

hello i have a don s wicked motor in my bird . and i was wondering if amybody knew the size of the shaft on it .so that i can get the correct pinion set to match

thank you for your help i would like to order it soon, apperently my stock main gear spent a little too much time at neverland ranch
gimballina jolie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

shaft on wicked is 2.3mm. I believe Lynx is working on releasing a 2.3mm bore pinion that will work with their slanted gears but I haven't heard much of when it will be released.
nartac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Already available http://www.lynxheli.com/product_info...ducts_id=22930
Old 06-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Correct!

GSPI is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 12:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Closed Account

Those that have these how we'll do they work. This slanted gear combo is pretty damn spendy. Better make the 300x smooth as butter
xokia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 01:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Excuse the idiot question but what effect does each pinion have on speed?
Kieranar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 01:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

How do you choose which pinion ? T9. T10 etc ? Sorry bit of an noob question , it would be nice to have a sticky on the various motors pinion options and what effect it has on the 300x
Old 06-11-2013, 04:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well I'd recommend having a quick read as to what those people with your motor are doing and decide if that suits your flight style.

In addition use a headspeed calc like this 1 = http://heli.dacsa.net/calcv3/Default.aspx

Stock is 9T/140T maingear
Lynx maingear is 136T.

The Lynx maingear really is as smooth as butter, the stock 300x is very noisy, you wont realise just how noisy till you switch to the slant gear.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Having worked on fast jets for 20 years I think my hearing is shot !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 06-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes they come at a cost, but it's totally worth it! Add slant gears to that and you have a very quiet heli as well! For me I would not fly this heli at all without a CNC'ed main gear. Too much vibrations with the stock gears (I never found a perfectly round one).

The carbon main blades plus the Lynx frame stiffener (or Astroid Designs) is a must have for this heli. Also put the BX in the top position, mounted with 3M grey double sided tape.

I've just done a lot of test with stock and Wicked motor. I recommend using 10T on both. Even the Wicked is struggling with 11T. You don't get higher headspeed than with 10T, just draining the battery faster. More info here:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=495777

Happy flying!
Radio: Spektrum DX8 Gen 1
SHYguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHYguy View Post
Yes they come at a cost, but it's totally worth it! Add slant gears to that and you have a very quiet heli as well! For me I would not fly this heli at all without a CNC'ed main gear. Too much vibrations with the stock gears (I never found a perfectly round one).
I guess that was my point noise wise I could care less. However the stock 300x has some serious vibration issues. The Ikon SL feature is utterly worthless on the 300x because of vibes. I'd like to know the slant gear actually has a dramatic effect on vibes. Which is what you are saying right?
Old 06-12-2013, 01:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would say from a physical standpoint, noise is a form of vibration. If you're trying to eliminate as many vibrations as possible from your rig, the slant gear is one way to accomplish that. The machining process creates a consistent quality gear, and roundness is definitely an issue for the stock gears as well. Less noise is equal to less vibration.

I'm no professional. My experience with the 300x has been that I crashed and made repairs after my first two flights. I stripped out the stock gear in the first crash, and I installed the slant gear before the second flight and crash. It sustained no damage, and my rig seems to run smooth as silk with it and some well balanced blades installed, even with my limited level of experience, but a large amount of reading here at HeliFreak.

I decided that I'll use up the stock gears I have if this one ever sustains damage, and then if the time comes to order spares again, I'll stick with spending the money on the Lynx.
jcmo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2013, 03:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by xokia View Post
I guess that was my point noise wise I could care less. However the stock 300x has some serious vibration issues. The Ikon SL feature is utterly worthless on the 300x because of vibes. I'd like to know the slant gear actually has a dramatic effect on vibes. Which is what you are saying right?
That is correct. A heli is still noisy. Now you just hear the blades better, especially if you replace the stock motor too.

That being said I haven't tried the iKON om my 300X yet. But on my 450X, also with Lynx gears. I had the self level almost correct. Then I did the motor Loctite mod... got some noise/vibes from that >> self level more off again... but not given up yet
Old 06-12-2013, 06:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok I'm convinced ! New motor , pinion and main gear .... Time to raid the piggy bank !

Old 06-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieranar View Post
Ok I'm convinced ! New motor , pinion and main gear .... Time to raid the piggy bank !

Good call.... i would also order a nice new main gear hub as they are quite often to blame for a wobbly gear (up and down wobble as opposed to a out of round wobble) I also ALWAYS take a small file to the edge of the hub that screws to the main gear to de burr the edges ;-) you'll notice immediately just how softthe alu is. You will also notice high and low spots if you keep the file flat..... I file till i have NO hi/lo spots and install the screws in a cross pattern to get it a sweat and flat as possible.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #16 (permalink)
Closed Account

Quote:
That is correct. A heli is still noisy. Now you just hear the blades better, especially if you replace the stock motor too.

That being said I haven't tried the iKON om my 300X yet. But on my 450X, also with Lynx gears. I had the self level almost correct. Then I did the motor Loctite mod... got some noise/vibes from that >> self level more off again... but not given up yet
Yea I'm done with the ikon I wouldn't trust the SL feature even on my 300x let alone a more expensive heli. I call it the "do you feel lucky" switch. It's just to inconsistent, I have mine for sale I went with helicommand instead.

If your 450x has the tail shaft with plastic belt gear. Swap it for the metal version I found that plastic gear the source of a lot of vibes under load.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thx, I'll try that!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Closed Account

Quote:
Thx, I'll try that!
The way I found it is I powered up the 300x in my hand with no main blades then rotated the tail such that the gyro was tring to compensate. It would make a squeling noise briefly. Belt was always tight. Tail shaft perfectly straight. I just kept rocking the tail back and forth forcing the gyro to compensate eventially the tail stopped spinning powered it down and the rear plastic tail gear was completely gone

I replaced it with the tail shaft with the metal belt gear and repeated the same test. It's so much smoother.

Before using self level in the air I highly suggest testing it on the bunch. With the motor off flick the SL switch and see if the swash moves from its "set" level position. If it does adjust the elevator and aileron setting in the advanced menu. After you get the swash to not move from going from normal mode to SL mode repeat the process with the motor running. Main blades removed obviously. Swash should still not move when going from normal mode to SL mode. This will reduce the number of times you need to fly then land and then make adjustments.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I've just done a lot of test with stock and Wicked motor. I recommend using 10T on both. Even the Wicked is struggling with 11T. You don't get higher headspeed than with 10T, just draining the battery faster. More info here:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=495777

That thread is so long, I had to read the whole thing to get to where you mention the Wicked with 11T - you should point it to the particular post in question.

Anyway, do you mean that you wouldn't run the Lynx slant gear with 11t on the Wicked? I'm getting higher governed headspeed with 11t and the stock gear. Works better than the 10t for me.
m1crochip is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry about that!

Strange, well please post your setup and results with 11T in that tread!

Thx for the SL trick!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in