Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Atom 500

Atom 500 Compass Atom 500 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hobbywing 60a platinum governor mode questions!

Hello guys, sorry for some noobie questions here but this will be my first time trying a governor mode, and I just want to make sure if I do things right.

So I'm understanding governor mode allows you to keep a constant head speed similiar to a flat throttle curve from your transmitter.

I have the programming card and I can set governor low, and governor high, which one should I use?

Right now my PWM is set to 12KHz, and Advanced Timing at 15 degree. Do I need to change anything to make the governor run better?

If my transmitter is currently running 95% flat curve, to achieve the same headspeed in governor mode, do I also use the same flat throttle curve?

I'm currently running 9 tooth pinion, do I need to up to 10 tooth to allow the governor to work better for the desired 95% flat curve mentioned above?

How do I initialize my heli from now on? I'm using ar7200bx, there are few times I turned on the heli with my throttle hold engaged, after beastx initialized when I release throttle hold the heli will want to spool up (with no governor mode).

This is the most confusing part for me, my tx has only 2 flight mode, so my normal flight mode TC is linear 0 25 50 75 100, the governor mode will not engage when I take off with normal flight mode? and also landing as well if I must only use throttle hold?

So far these are my concerns, thanks in advanced if you would chime in to enlighten me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You need to do the math, using the equations and graphs in the manual, to figure out which governor setting to use. Not sure I've done it 100% correctly but it should get you started.

Look on the graph for high-gov, at 80% throttle you find the ESC will drive a two pole motor at 97000 RPM. The Atom's 8-pole motor will turn 4 times slower. Then apply the gear ratio for the main gear and pinion.

Head speed = 97000 RPM * (pinion teeth / main teeth) / ( 8-poles / 2-poles )

or

Head speed = 97000 RPM * ( 9T/78T) / (8P/2P)

HS = 2798 RPM

If you use the low-gov at 80% throttle, the graph shows the ESC drives a two pole motor at 21000 RPM, so it would be 4.5 times slower, or only 605 RPM. (yikes!)

CAUTION:
Note what happens if you accidentally get your throttle running at 100%... head speed is off the wall at close to 5800 RPM.

xspare is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've run HW ESCs in governor mode on another heli and had it set up to govern at like 2200 RPM in flight mode 1, 2800 RPM in flight mode 2, and throttle hold would kill the motor. I would plug in the battery with the transmitter on T/H and use very soft start to spool up to whatever flight mode RPM I wanted to use.

The manual says:
"Please note that the governor mode function is automatically disabled if the throttle volume is less than 60%."
I think they are really trying to say that the motor is disabled for throttle settings below 60%, but I would just avoid anything between 0-60%.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspare View Post
I've run HW ESCs in governor mode on another heli and had it set up to govern at like 2200 RPM in flight mode 1, 2800 RPM in flight mode 2, and throttle hold would kill the motor. I would plug in the battery with the transmitter on T/H and use very soft start to spool up to whatever flight mode RPM I wanted to use.

The manual says:
"Please note that the governor mode function is automatically disabled if the throttle volume is less than 60%."
I think they are really trying to say that the motor is disabled for throttle settings below 60%, but I would just avoid anything between 0-60%.
Thanks many xspare! I'm starting to get the hang of it now, but I don't really understand the throttle hold would kill the motor part? So you basically soft starting your heli in idle up if I'm understanding correctly? If I flip the switch back to my flight mode 0 with 0 25 50 75 100 the motor will simply not spin right?
Old 04-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

No, no, you're really meant to use flat curves everywhere when you're using the governor mode -- no more normal mode, only the equivalent of "idle up", for all flight modes.

The "very soft start" is just one of the ESC settings which prevents it from trying to spool up too fast. You plug in the battery with the TX on throttle hold. Then when you disengage T/H the ESC will gradually ramp up to the RPM indicated by your (now constant) throttle output.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

One last thing. You should tach your heli to see what your current head speed is and to verify that you've setup the ESC governor mode (and your transmitter) correctly before flying.

You can get the headspeed apps for smartphones, or you can use my youtube tutorial and your own videos:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giNRksfMpCQ[/ame]

Old 05-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspare View Post
One last thing. You should tach your heli to see what your current head speed is and to verify that you've setup the ESC governor mode (and your transmitter) correctly before flying.

You can get the headspeed apps for smartphones, or you can use my youtube tutorial and your own videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giNRksfMpCQ
I just saw your video.

Amazing.

Better than my phone app
w4llet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yes! Xspare is the man!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have a related question - when you set your throttle at 80% (or what ever), does this assume maximum end-points?

I have a DX8, so do I increase the travel adjust to 150% to get the full throw of the throttle channel
Old 05-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great question. Unfortunately the answer isn't very satisfying: it will depend on the ESC - and this is why you should tach your heli.

For example, people would babble in great detail about idle-up curves on the Blade 400, but when I measured that ESCs behaviour I discovered that the stock ESC would peg at 80% (using 100% EPA), which was below most of the values folks tend to use.

https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...63&postcount=6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in