Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2015, 06:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Receiver battery pack, do I need it?

Hello,

I was wondering if I have to change my setup a little bit by putting a receiver pack. Since I am running HV servos and a 20A CC becpro, I thought it would be better to have a specialized battery for the servos.

I have a TX battery( Pulse 3s 2550mAh), Would it do the trick? My plan is not to invest more in this heli for now. Since I got that battery in hand I want to know if its doable and efficient?

**The rated discharge rate for this battery is 6C
FaisalHeli's is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2015, 07:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

A 3S LIPO WILL BLOW YOUR ELECTRONICS.

Most electronics have a voltage limit of 8.4 volts. Most servo's are only 6 volts.

If you plug your 3S lipo in you will fry some stuff being 11.1 volts.

With a 500 Sized helicopter blade size, your servo's really are not going to be under as much load as say, 700mm blades.

I've gotten away with using the built in BEC from my speed control for years.

Being that you have a 20 amp BEC that should easily do the trick.

Of course using a BEC vs Using a 2s RX pack is personal preference.

All my smaller birds use a BEC, while my largest model is using a 2S lipo.

Totally up to you.

-Markus
* G700c BRAIN2 * T-rex 500 *308DUO *450x #429
Relisys190 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2015, 07:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relisys190 View Post
A 3S LIPO WILL BLOW YOUR ELECTRONICS.

Most electronics have a voltage limit of 8.4 volts. Most servo's are only 6 volts.

If you plug your 3S lipo in you will fry some stuff being 11.1 volts.

With a 500 Sized helicopter blade size, your servo's really are not going to be under as much load as say, 700mm blades.

I've gotten away with using the built in BEC from my speed control for years.

Being that you have a 20 amp BEC that should easily do the trick.

Of course using a BEC vs Using a 2s RX pack is personal preference.

All my smaller birds use a BEC, while my largest model is using a 2S lipo.

Totally up to you.

-Markus

Thank you for the reply Markus, I'm running my servos at 7.4V through the BEC which is connected to the flight pack. However my point wasn't in connecting the battery straight to the receiver, my plan is to connect it with the BEC, voltage gets regulated to 7.4V, then feed to receiver and servos.

My other question is since this is a TX pack. Would it be capable of handling the load?
Old 12-29-2015, 07:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaisalHeli's View Post
Thank you for the reply Markus, I'm running my servos at 7.4V through the BEC which is connected to the flight pack. However my point wasn't in connecting the battery straight to the receiver, my plan is to connect it with the BEC, voltage gets regulated to 7.4V, then feed to receiver and servos.

My other question is since this is a TX pack. Would it be capable of handling the load?

I do not believe a Tx pack has the capability to sustain high current draw such as servo's.

Just food for thought. Have you had any issues with the BEC connected how it is currently?

-Markus
Old 12-29-2015, 07:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

So how big of a battery would be good for the job?

Good question, I didn't have any problems yet, hard to tell though because I only had one flight after changing the servos. The idea of having an RX battery has been ringing in my head for while, ever since I started a thread about my plan to upgrade the servos. People were suggesting that I should use one for optimal performance.

Since I have that TX battery I thought to give it shot just wanted to make sure it would operate.

The controversial thought is: Since I already have a good BEC, that's connected to a 6s battery. What would be different than having a separate RX battery?
Old 12-29-2015, 08:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
So how big of a battery would be good for the job?

Good question, I didn't have any problems yet, hard to tell though because I only had one flight after changing the servos. The idea of having an RX battery has been ringing in my head for while, ever since I started a thread about my plan to upgrade the servos. People were suggesting that I should use one for optimal performance.

Since I have that TX battery I thought to give it shot just wanted to make sure it would operate.

The controversial thought is: Since I already have a good BEC, that's connected to a 6s battery. What would be different than having a separate RX battery?
Basically I look at it like this. If a BEC fails (weather its internal with the speed controller or an external unit) than the heli is going down.

If a 2 cell Lipo pack loses a cell in flight, the heli is going down. The likely hood of a 2S pack dropping a cell is low, some people use a Buffer pack such as the Optipower ultraguard or R2buffer pack, these can be used in conjuntion with a BEC OR 2S rx pack.

I'm using a 2600mah 2cell lipo pack on my Goblin 630. It's a BIG heli. I use about 200mah per flight for just the servo's and FBL power. I usually fly one pack 5 times and recharge it.

I would say for a 500 sized helicopter you can use a 2 cell lipo 1500mah pack and safely get a few flights from it before needed a recharge.

If the BEC you have is working fine and handling the current draw than It's really up to how you want your helicopter to be setup.

-Markus
Old 12-29-2015, 09:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

In short, smaller helicopters such as our 425mm blade machines typically don't use a separate Rx pack. You can easily get away with using either an internal BEC or External unit such as the one you already have.

Good luck!
-Markus
Old 12-29-2015, 12:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you again for the great feedback.

The Optipower backup is definitely something interesting and would make me feel more comfortable. I also worry about space, if for instance I run an RX battery to the BEC>Opti>RX it would be a lot on a small heli.

I realize that I can get away with it, my only fear is because I am running HV servos.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try the optipower Ultraguard. It has the small backup battery, circuit board and very BRIGHT LEDS to warn the pilot of BEC failure. It will give you plenty of time to get the heli down in this case.

And it charges instantly when plugged in If not used for some time, I suggest bringing it down to storage charge.

have fun and BE SAFE!

-Markus
Old 12-29-2015, 12:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Try the optipower Ultraguard. It has the small backup battery, circuit board and very BRIGHT LEDS to warn the pilot of BEC failure. It will give you plenty of time to get the heli down in this case.

And it charges instantly when plugged in If not used for some time, I suggest bringing it down to storage charge.

have fun and BE SAFE!

-Markus

Sounds good to me, Thank again for your help Markus.

Will do
Old 12-29-2015, 12:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

One more thing,

I just saw your trex500 picture and man this thing looks sweat!

What type of landing skids are these?
Old 12-29-2015, 01:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
One more thing,

I just saw your trex500 picture and man this thing looks sweat!

What type of landing skids are these?
They were very difficult to find. Ive actually modified them slightly after having a hard landing and breaking the original aluminum cross brace. I'm now using cut down version of the align plastic skid parts combined with the carbon panels. Believe it or not they are a Tarot product. I got mine from an amazon supplier for about 17$. They fit very well and are pretty solid.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Better pictures. These are current

Last edited by Relisys190; 01-12-2016 at 06:46 AM..
Old 12-29-2015, 01:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also :

Lynxheli.com has their version. Which are much more available but also WILD expensive.

https://www.lynxheli.com/product_inf...d737aab2628d79

Good luck!'
-Markus
Old 01-01-2016, 03:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Would definitely not bother running a seperate rx pack here on a 500. The amount of risk you would reduce is absolutely minimal when you factor in the new risk added of: a failed battery cell, a failed solder joint, connection coming lose .. + I imagine you add a good bit of relative weight to the heli reducing performance.

If its working well for you now then I'd go by the old adage if it ain't broke don't fix it...
aussiefly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2016, 03:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

However I do agree the skids look cool
Love the idea of inclining them 3 degrees to raise the tail bery useful and something Align could have included stock as optional simply by including a slightly longer rear leg piece.
aussiefly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2016, 10:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Relysis I forgot to ask, how strong are they? Do you think they're as strong as the stock one's?I gotta say man Im impressed of how strong the skids are today my heli dropped about 40 feet from the ground, they snapped, I can't blame them. I had a chip on one frame plate. A new frame is required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiefly View Post
Would definitely not bother running a seperate rx pack here on a 500. The amount of risk you would reduce is absolutely minimal when you factor in the new risk added of: a failed battery cell, a failed solder joint, connection coming lose .. + I imagine you add a good bit of relative weight to the heli reducing performance.

If its working well for you now then I'd go by the old adage if it ain't broke don't fix it...

Yea I am giving up the RX pack idea. Although I think I'm still gonna get the Optipower Back up system.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Relysis I forgot to ask, how strong are they? Do you think they're as strong as the stock one's?I gotta say man Im impressed of how strong the skids are today my heli dropped about 40 feet from the ground, they snapped, I can't blame them. I had a chip on one frame plate. A new frame is required.

The carbon plates themselves are VERY strong. the tarot aluminum braces were a little too soft for a very hard auto a while back and I snapped one. The heli stayed upright lucky no tip over.

I than made my own cross braces with a dremel and some old factory skid white plastics (now black) Our factory plastic ones are very strong too, I just didnt like the look.

Lynx version is most likely better. They use a better aluminum.

Good luck!
-Markus
Old 01-05-2016, 10:10 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The carbon plates themselves are VERY strong. the tarot aluminum braces were a little too soft for a very hard auto a while back and I snapped one. The heli stayed upright lucky no tip over.

I than made my own cross braces with a dremel and some old factory skid white plastics (now black) Our factory plastic ones are very strong too, I just didnt like the look.

Lynx version is most likely better. They use a better aluminum.

Good luck!
-Markus

Tipovers are the worse. It gives you the sense of achievement that your heli survived the beating, next thing you know its eating the ground around it.

In terms of looks its a badass landing gear no doubt about that. Glade to know the plates are tough I had a few experiences buying carbon fiber parts that are supposedly stronger but breaks like cheap plastic.

Thanks for your time and effort Markus, I appreciate it.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not a problem. You're welcome

-Markus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in