Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General

LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General General Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2015, 01:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Battery comparison

I am sure this is going to start a flame war and if it does I will shut this down. I am looking for empirical data on this.

On one of the other forums for a heli that I have someone mentioned that they "never use HK batteries because they got one with a bad cell…" and that they only use batteries like "glacier or TP" Then he mentioned that the cell that went bad was on a 6S battery and this particular heli forum only uses 3S batteries. I thought this was an apples to oranges comparison. So has anyone used the smaller 3S or under batteries for comparison to find an empirical difference. Specifically Turnigy Nano-tech A-Spec 60C vs Thunder Power Magna Series 70C

Links for reference:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

http://www.thunderpowerrc.com/Produc...na/TP850-3SM70

Obviously the difference is $14 but has anyone actually used the two and found that the TP is that much better? I also know that the budget Nano-Tech's are no comparison to the "budget" Thunder Power batteries. So I tried to pick apple to apples batteries (60C vs 70C)

~MM

Last edited by PilotMM; 12-29-2015 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: Added more text
PilotMM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2015, 02:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I would stick to Pulse Ultra. At $13, this is all your going to need. Says out of stock, but try anythingheli or many other retailers.

http://www.helidirect.com/batteries/...er-series.html
Old 12-29-2015, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

But still my question remains. Has anyone directly compared the "top of the line" Turnigy against the competitors?

Thanks Slyster. The reason I am asking is because I got my first plank and it needs 3S 2200mAh packs and they recommend at least a 40C rating. They say that a 4S 1800mAh pack will work and only requires a 20C rating. I want to buy the best bang for my buck but am not oppose to owning a few high end packs if they actually make a difference.

~MM
Old 12-29-2015, 05:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

At the relatively low cost of those particular size batteries if I were you I would just pick up a TP and draw my own conclusion for the heck of it. I mean what's $15 in this hobby?
Danny Dugger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2015, 06:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just got an email for 40% off from TP... coupon code HOLIDAY15. Might as well give it a go
Danny Dugger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2015, 08:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Turnigy Nano-tech 65c vs Pulse ultra 45c

Pilot, I did a back to back flight on a new (sub 10 flight) Turnigy Nano-tech 65c 6s 5000mah (before the A-spec batteries came out) with a new (sub 10 fight) Pulse ultra 6s 5000mah 45c battery.

I was flying a fairly new trex 550 with a talon 90 and 600mx motor. the turnigy flew it fine and performed well but the pulse had a more distinctive punch out, more power on demand than the Turnigy.

I also had a problem with the Turnigy batteries puffing up early in their life.

When I flew a trex 450 I had five nano-tech 2250 3s batteries that I flew the dog crap out of for a number of months.. I abused those batteries and they worked well and never puffed on the 450.
Drivelayer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2015, 10:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivelayer View Post
Pilot, I did a back to back flight on a new (sub 10 flight) Turnigy Nano-tech 65c 6s 5000mah (before the A-spec batteries came out) with a new (sub 10 fight) Pulse ultra 6s 5000mah 45c battery.

I was flying a fairly new trex 550 with a talon 90 and 600mx motor. the turnigy flew it fine and performed well but the pulse had a more distinctive punch out, more power on demand than the Turnigy.

I also had a problem with the Turnigy batteries puffing up early in their life.

When I flew a trex 450 I had five nano-tech 2250 3s batteries that I flew the dog crap out of for a number of months.. I abused those batteries and they worked well and never puffed on the 450.

Interesting! This is what I was looking for. I also plan on buying a TP battery since they are on sale. I unfortunately it's only good on one item. So I have to decide if it will be a little heli battery or a larger plank battery

-MM
Old 12-30-2015, 07:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I had a mishap with my 180 and took a pretty hard digger. I was using a brand new zippy 500 pack. The balance plug got ripped off and the battery shorted..not sure how long. I recently got the nerve to solder on a new plug and check the cells. 3.88 4.12 4.13 that was after sitting several weeks. I balance charged the pack at .02amps and it came out good. BUT..the pack doesn't seem to be puffed but the outer wrap has a bubble on it like it was stretched and then the battery went back to its normal shape. Its not puffy at all just a big bubble in the yellow wrap. I know this didntbdo it any good and I will probably get told to toss it but realistically is it safe to use? I understand its life may be largely shortened but is it safe?
jc318 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015, 07:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

'Safe' hard to say, it is risk vs. reward. do you want to risk your heli for a $30 battery?

I will say this, I have flown packs that have been visibly bent, not taco'd but tweaked a little, that the outer covering has been torn off and I wrapped in packing tape. they flew fine for awhile and I have never had one catch fire. I almost always balance charge and usually not higher than 3c. and try to time my flights so that I am burning about 75% of the capacity.

BUT .. .I knew the risk and made an informed decision.
Drivelayer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2016, 05:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

thunder power All the way. on the same heli got gen ace 6s 1400mah 40c. pulse 1250mah 45c and thunderpower g8 1300mah 70c. about same fly time gen ace vs thunder power and work few season more punch, stay balance, cooler after flight
darknight736 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2016, 08:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've done a lot of battery testing over the last few years - TP - Revo - WildScorpion - Turnigy Nano-tech. Mostly in 2250/2450 variants (3S & 4S).

Quick notes ...

- Both of the nano-techs puffed early, without even any abuse.

- Revos slightly out-performed TP in terms of capacity, but I think this was only because TP had more optimistic labeling (50mAh more).

- C rating is really only a relative temperature indication - the higher the C rating the cooler the packs should run. Add to that the fact that it's temperature that kills packs - so higher C packs should last longer. C ratings in terms of what you can draw continuously are completely meaningless - try dividing it be about 4 to get a figure that actually works (but is hard on the batt with respect to temps).

These days I just fly Revos - performance seems on-par with TP, but I have had some cells die (replaced under warranty) whereas no reliability issues with TP (although they are literally over twice the price to get them delivered here) (in NZ).

As a strategy I use 2x 4S/5000 in my 550 - I don't like packs with high cell counts - kills entire pack when 1 cell goes.

Hope this helps.
EjectEjectEject is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in