Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 300X

300X Blade 300X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 02:56 PM   #41 (permalink)
HF Support

Stuff like that doesn't bother me. I can live with a plastic tail case if it's cheap to replace.

The electronics are the only real value in one of these helis, so that's why it's concerning that they didn't change any one of the electronic components after what amounts to over a year of complaints about them. (And not to mention the plethora of service calls they must have received.) It's not like Horizon couldn't have procured some better Spektrum servos and commissioned a new motor, like they did with the H450, to go into this new model. If they chose not to in order to appease the corporate penny pinchers I understand that. But that doesn't mean they have the best interests of the hobbyist in mind when they make these kinds of decisions.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014, 02:56 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

I understand you're entitled to your opinion, but, I have to say, I've had these servos come on 2 different 450's, and my 300X. I have yet to see a gear strip from looking at it. I've also watched a pot on the stove, and the water will in fact boil.

In all seriousness, I'm not a fan of these servos either, I replaced them on the 450, but am still letting them run their course on the 300X. Eventually, yep, they'll fail. I just have a hard time even putting KST's (which I LOVE in the 450) in it from a cost / benefit perspective. Maybe I should look closer at the Turnigy's to be prepared for when the inevitable does in fact happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonisms View Post
Yeah, the stock motor has plenty of power until the bearings fall apart and the motor destroys itself after a few dozen flights. The same thing with the servos. They work great until they burn out or you strip the gears by just looking at them wrong. All this has been pretty well documented in this forum and Horizon's support is well aware that many people have had these kinds of issues with these components. Yet they chose to keep them on the new model...why? Because they're super cheap for Horizon to produce. They sell them at a high markup and they can afford to hand them out like candy as replacements and call it great customer service.

Also, notice how everyone who is saying these stock components are good are also affiliated with Horizon Hobby.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:01 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way2evl View Post
Very true. On one end you have the guys like those who are posting here that want a fully upgraded helicopter. On the other hand you have the guys that are happy with what was produced and don't say anything. It's Blades job to analyze that need and it's our job to try and understand that as a company they have to survive and are doing the best they can. Hats off to Bade for making the upgrades they do and to the other companies that do it as well from listening to the forums.
Not Hats off for keeping that crap stock motor!
But maybe with the improvements they have done to the new 300X, that POS stock motor won't make the BeastX freak out anymore.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:04 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a 300x with LOTS of flights, and it's an embarassment to me the $ I have tied up in this thing to get it to perform. In retrospect I should have just un-stretched a 450.
It's fun as heck, but so are all the others I own & honestly think the $500.00 people are essentially going to spend on this model is NUTS!
Just ones guys opinion.
rodo1268 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 03:21 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankel View Post
Not Hats off for keeping that crap stock motor!
But maybe with the improvements they have done to the new 300X, that POS stock motor won't make the BeastX freak out anymore.
+1
The bearings are not up to the task.
HH they are simply too small!

From day one mine was a vibrating PITA.
On the other hand, my buddy has one which is smooth.
Hit and miss on the vibs.

Always a miss on the bearings.
Phoenix R/C v5
helidude71 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 03:53 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helidude71 View Post
@ Way2evl.

Can you tell if the main shaft is the same as the old 300X? (Large jesus hole.)
Why isn't anything done about the plastic tail case? (Huge vib source.)
The main shaft is the same.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:03 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

[ame]http://youtu.be/NtMZwGqS1I8[/ame]
RichKnapp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 04:17 PM   #48 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way2evl View Post
Blade 300X 3D Flight Over Parking Lot (3 min 55 sec)

That's me

pretty durable heli for its size.
BladeScraper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #49 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichKnapp View Post
I don't understand what James means by "performance changes" when it's essentially the same heli with some added weight. The only potential performance change is in the servo/head geometry so maybe it's a little more precise on the cyclic and collective inputs.

Don't get me wrong, I do think the design is an improvement over the previous model in several ways, it's just that with the same motor, servos and blades I don't see how there can be much of a "performance change." James flies it very well. His collective management is very good, but you can hear the motor struggling to keep up on some moves. However there's nothing here that he couldn't have done just as well with the original 300X.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 04:33 PM   #50 (permalink)

My HF Map location

the pinion is also 2 teeth more. more headspeed.
BladeScraper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 04:37 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Exactly. This to me is no indication of their desire to offer an airframe only kit. It's just their marketing language for not including a battery and charger. The idea is that most people who would want one will already have a charger and batteries and they don't want to pay for something they don't use.You can see the same thing in some of their other products. For instance the UMX Beast 3D BNF Basic and the Edge 540QQ 280 BNF Basic. That's all they ever offered with those models, so I highly doubt this one will be any different. It's just not in Horizon's M.O. to offer an airframe only kit, otherwise they'd lose the high markup they can recognize by overcharging for the cheap electronics. There's no true "airframe only" kit for any of their "Pro" line, so there's no reason to expect any different for the 300 CFX.
Still a pretty cool offering from Blade, even if they didn't upgrade it with the exact parts all the expert pilots wanted them to (which it's impossible to please everyone anyway).

Though I would have liked to see them keep the 300X and turn that into a more budget friendly "BNF Basic" or something. Keep the "cheap" electronics that seem to work well for most people (not the thwackers, though).

The CFX should have been a kit without electronics. For the guys who want an uber high performance 300 size thwacker, keep all the carbon fiber and CNC stuff, but loose the electronics that those people seem to complain about. For many other people, the stock 300X parts seem perfectly adequate.

Blade 450x V2, Nano CPx, 120SR, mCX2, Scout, DX6i. Just assume I have others, I probably won't update this every time I get a new heli... ;-)
jbrandt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 04:58 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Carbon fiber frame with elevator servo placement under swash? I hope parts are available same day as heli namely cf frame? but I bet it won't be available until the cfx has been out for awhile but no problemo mi amigos, I wait then I buy then my 300x will not only be the prettiest (and coolest) 300x on the planet and no doubt for sure in this forum, but also the strongest (relatively speaking since I never ever crash, it might as well be made of rhenium diboride )
Old 01-29-2014, 05:45 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Time to move up the ladder on to bigger and better helis. Some aluminum and CF parts - seroiusly most of us have already made these mods.
Metroart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Time to move up the ladder on to bigger and better helis.

That will NOT be hard to do, as this heli is as far from both those categories.
Is there one that you know of that's built to lesser quality, more underpowered with marginal electronics? If so BUY it! LOL

"If you want economy, it's gonna COST you!"
Old 01-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachheliman View Post
looks like it will cost around $80.00 to upgrade 300x to 300cfx.
Where are you finding parts listings at?
Old 01-29-2014, 08:44 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

On horizon hobby website Type 300 cfx in search bar will show 300 cfx and parts that they have on website so far.
130 or so for everything to convert over. But still not price with full metal head so more for that
zachheliman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 09:10 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think a large part of putting out this new version is to stop people from buying the 300x and keeping the BX and selling the rest.

The math doesn't work out with a 400 dollar bird not to mention no battery in the box.
CrashandBurn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 09:48 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't understand what James means by "performance changes" when it's essentially the same heli with some added weight. The only potential performance change is in the servo/head geometry so maybe it's a little more precise on the cyclic and collective inputs.

Don't get me wrong, I do think the design is an improvement over the previous model in several ways, it's just that with the same motor, servos and blades I don't see how there can be much of a "performance change." James flies it very well. His collective management is very good, but you can hear the motor struggling to keep up on some moves. However there's nothing here that he couldn't have done just as well with the original 300X.
Carbon fiber frame making it more rigid than before. All aluminum head for better durability. Better/ new blades for better performance. 2 teeth added to motor pinion for higher headspeed. Better servo geometry for better precision/ crisp response. Lower CG with motor, esc and battery lowered.

I wouldn't call that no improvement
HorizonHobbyFreak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 09:52 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashandBurn View Post
I think a large part of putting out this new version is to stop people from buying the 300x and keeping the BX and selling the rest.

The math doesn't work out with a 400 dollar bird not to mention no battery in the box.
Really? You complain about not getting a battery? 95% of 250 size Helis come in a kit, not built, not programmed, and without batteries. Take the Gaui x2 for example. Same size as 300x, comes with all electronics except battery AND RECEIVER, not pre programmed or built and costs $600!
HorizonHobbyFreak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 10:05 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorizonHobbyFreak View Post
Really? You complain about not getting a battery? 95% of 250 size Helis come in a kit, not built, not programmed, and without batteries. Take the Gaui x2 for example. Same size as 300x, comes with all electronics except battery AND RECEIVER, not pre programmed or built and costs $600!
"Senator, you are N0 Gaui Helicopter..!" (using my best Lloyd Bentsen Voice)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in