Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for all the great advice man now im ready for my first flight hope i dont break to much stuff.
SononaCoastSurfer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for all this info, i am just starting a build my self.
Wittigo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2010, 06:22 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for all the Tips!
Steni is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2010, 09:02 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

good tips, & here's a bit of information for when you are going to fly outside. check the wind report from here, it's an ultralight/hangliding/skydiving website that give fairly accurate wind forecasts. you just need to input you area.

http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi
Old 10-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

From a beginning beginner,
Thanks very much, no real life person where I am at to help out, so, have to rely on the Forums to teach me to fly, I appreciate the info greatly!!
Blue38 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2010, 09:31 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very informative!!!
PacRim0311 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Post Good Information

I have read through post after post. But some of what I learned was not there. So I will share a few things. First of all I now own a 450 (to wild), 500 (slow head speed is good) and a 600 (to expensive to fix) all Trex Clones.

I have discovered that my 500, to me, was best for learning, if you run it with slow head speed.

There was nothing to modify just replace your 6S pack with a 3S.

Get a simulator to practice.

Don't try anything on the real thing you cant do on the simulator.

Run only two battery packs because the third pack is when you will crash.

Buy a clone, take it apart and put it back together with lube and loctite.

Buy a good brand name radio, servos and gyro. They will stay with you as you progress.

Set it up with dual rate and expo.

Do not buy an expensive Heli because you will crash no matter how much you spend on it.

Don't buy what the PROs use until you are a PRO.

I ask that anyone with hard facts that do not agree with this please share your knowledge with those that are new
Captured is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok...help...I can fly my trex...I can fly on a sim...my novus cp is giving me a hard time...loosin orientation on simple circles...any suggestions?
Davis12 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for taking the time to put this all together!
enderwiggin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi. I am realy struggling getting the tail setup on my Trex 500. First thing is, I am using a JR X3810 and I dont know if the steup is right.A guy at the LHS did the initial setup. I had my heli setup 100% but had a crash a few weeks ago. Replaced all broken parts but cant get the wag out for some reason, I dont want to take it back and would like to be able to do it myself, Everything else is done,it is just the tail wag.I have done the mechanical setup and get it as close as possible to sit dead still but as soon as I initialise HH the tails starts wagging and I can see the T/r CControl arm twitching left and right. It is alsmost like thr gyro is figtinh to keep it locked.Can someone maybe let me know what setup they are using if they have a similar radio as what I have. I am very close to throwing this thing in the dustbin.

Thanks
andre_went is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

you have likely fixed it by now but if you have not, and it was smooth pre crash i would think your t/r linkage may be binding, servo may be binding/stripped, engine rich, did you replace and t/r control parts ..maybe moved the ball out on the servo horn that was possibly replaced ? change the gain? belt loose or stripped. good luck.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:36 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your tips are very useful to me since I am a newly joined member. You provided a good information and links along with your post so it is easy for me to understand. Also you provided Throttle setup and Tail Rotor Setup, they were amusing. Thanks for sharing such good information and providing such good tips.
johanwhite is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2010, 12:34 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great information, thank you for sharing.
apexx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 11:18 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Newbie transitioning from 450 clone to Trex 450 sport super combo

I just purchased and finished building a TREX 450 Sport super combo and I hope I didn't make a mistake in doing so.

I've been flying my HK450 V2 for a few months with quite a bit of success thanks to the Finless videos and a lot of practice on Realflight 5 (I swear I've almost gone blind flying the heli orientation trainer up to level 23). This is my first CP heli after beginning with standard FP intro stuff in DEC 2009 like the MSR and 120SR.

After spending lots of time reading posts here on helifreak I've gathered that I had an incredibly good first CP experience with an uneventful maiden flight and no crashes after 30 flights with my HK450. In that time I worked through all non-inverted hover orientation, flying moderate figure 8's and fairly fast oval circuits in both directions. I even threw in a few clumsy loops at the end of the flying season and was flying with CF blades, no flybar weights or any expo.

I recently took the TREX on a couple intro flights to sort out the tail and get a feel for how it hovers - so far so good. I finally took it out on a calm warm day this weekend and hovering is fine but the moment I transition into forward flight or slightly banked turns it's/I'm horrible! I hardly feel in control of this thing and playing with flybar weights and expo seem to have little effect on the heli's behavior.

The only difference between the 2 helicopters (in setup) that I can figure out is that the Trex has more available power due to the better motor/esc. Oh and I also used everything in the TREX combo kit including the 14T pinion (vs. 11T on my clone). Using the generic headspeed formula I came up with the TREX having an extra 600-700 rpm with the basic setup. Oh and the TREX feels a little bit heavier than my clone? My digital scale maxes out at 500g so I haven't accurately compared weight.

This is probably a stupid question, but can that difference in head speed account for the extremely different behavior of the two helis?

Did I bite off more than I can chew by moving up too far and too fast? I knew there would be some adjusting to the TREX but not this drastic. I would like to figure this out a bit more before flying it again after my first CP and TREX crash. :o What changes should I make before my next flight?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

-Iso
isogloss3d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 08:04 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Newbie

I am a newbie and was wondering if anyone had any tips for me. I got a micro heli for Xmas and just ordered a Titan 450 v2. I don't know much Bout helis and I'm not sure if my Titan is going to require any set up. Any advice?
racklo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 12:22 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

To Sonnyhad: Am a newbie myself. I found it a lot easier to hover the real thing than the 450 in the sim. Try it with the tail pointing at you first (tail-in hover).
asker857 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragonCopterx View Post
yup thanks mate..
RedDragonCopterXHi, Im from Philippines, ive been fly heli about 2 years. Still learning..jogarce
jogarce is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

dont be scared. fust take it slow with the 450 and you will get the hang of it
geomecc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

sorry guys, newb test ...
street954 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 01:50 AM   #60 (permalink)

Great information for newbie
Grooverc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in