Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > AHF Aeolus

AHF Aeolus AHF Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default FBL build using beastx

Hello, I just wanted to show off my FBL build.

I was a bit apprehensive because this aeolus gf has been the best helicopter I've ever had, since I set it up last year I haven't had a bad flight, but I took the plunge.

I decided on the AR7200BX mainly because I have a friend whos flown his on four different helis and really likes it. The price was right and I dont need to add one more box to the frame since its an rx too.

The head is an RJX head, I was a bit worried since I have read some nasty reviews on it due to lose fitting parts, but for 80$ shipped from HK I was willing to give it a shot. I had one bearing in one of the swash control arms? Not sure what to call that component, anyway it must have been sitting slightly crooked because it would bind at certain points. I poped it out and pressed it in as evenly as I could and the problem is gone. So besides that I think I got a good head.

Here are some pics

I did a vibration test today with no blades to see how it fairs, seemed fine. So I put the blades on and did my maiden flight. Its hard to explain, this is my first big FBL heli, lots of micros but not a big guy... Its awesome and equally not lol
Once its in the air it feels so linear, rolling left or right forward or back it just does what you tell it. But I am worried because I know I'm going to tip it over, when its on the skids its so sensitive, I landed and just touched the cyclic and it starts to roll, then I counter and the blades are hitting snow! I didn't tip over, but it was so close. Now I know I'll do that from an auto lol Hopefully in time I'll learn new habits.

Unsure of my current location for the fbl unit, it seems too perfect where it is, but my wires are very close to my canopy, not touching but close. I didn't have anything weird occur in flight though, so maybe it will be okay.

I used to run Radix sb main blades on the fb head, I liked them. Now I am using 603mm edge fbl blades, between the blades and the fb head they bark alot! I like it
Running 12degree of pitch just like before and it seems to have more power. However its winter and I have been flying a 130x alot, so it could just be that I'm not used to it.

All in all, I like it, but it will take some time to get used too. I definitely am stoked about no longer having to worry about banging my flybar into walls or seats in my truck during transport. Plus there is nothing to the head to set up now, and it looks so clean.

130x- apparently a good one. Mine just works crash after crash
RaymondJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nicely done!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good Heli mate, love your work. You'll enjoy it, give it time until you adjust. Be as still as you can on take offs and landings. On landing when skids touch pull negative a little to ensure its grounded and get off the cyclics.

Have fun
dee cee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, I have 8 flights on it now and Im starting to get used to it. I took the advice of many threads and replaced the stock double sided foam with thin 3m outdoor foam tape. Could be me getting used to take off and landing, but it seems to have made it more docile on the skids.

Its kind of funny how different a fly bar feels now compared to this, I picked up a trex500 esp the other day for a small electric heli to fly around home. Im running 2900-3000rpm head speed so its got some pop, cf paddles no expo and yet it feels so tame on the cyclic compared to the Aeolus. Flying them back to back is so weird lol but its all fun

Old 02-13-2013, 02:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Good job ..

Hello chronic,

Good job, saw you were using the RJX-FBL head.

Both, RJX-50-head and the Outrage 50-FBL-head work fine. anyway meanwhile I maybe found a way, to profit from the low-cost AHF-FBL-head w/o havin the centre-piece wobbling inconvenience.

Replacing the non-FBL centre-piece by the original centre-piece of the non-FBL version should solve the matter. Didn't try it yet, the dimesions should make a perfect fit.

Best Regards,
Oliver
Raptor30_V1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2013, 10:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

So I haven't posted up much, but I figured I would update this. I've put 3-4 gallons through this since I converted it and am really enjoying it

The RJX head has losened up a bit, which may account for a little wobble I get in tictocs, mind you that could be my dial settings on the beastx. Its been "good enough" lately I haven't really touched it until I started blowing out my tail doing reverse hurricanes so I've been fine tuning.

Unrelated to my FBL conversion, I finally had a part wear out after 12 hours of flight time . My plastic engine mount seems to have deformed around the hex nuts. I have a little play between the sides frames and the mount which lead to me stripping one of the hex nuts trying to snug it up. No biggy... but man, what good quality for a 150$ airframe. Blows me away they're not everywhere. Maybe its because no one can pronounce the name aeolus?

My friends beautiful Goblin

He took a little vid while I was messing around
Ray doing some smooth 3D - Aeolus 50 Nitro RC helicopter (3 min 16 sec)

Edit-Oh yeah, I put a curtis youngblood MP5 muffler on my ys50st as well, I can't tell if I got more power or lost any. Its such a bad time of the year for tuning since the temp is all over.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in