Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2015, 08:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Time to abandon my SE V2? (parts availability problem)

My first 450 was an exi clone of the 450 SE V2. I got it cheap and learned a lot from it. I've slowly been replacing the EXI parts with genuine align stuff and it's more align now than EXI. The problem is I'm still a novice heli pilot and when I do have a crash it is nearly impossible to find parts for that heli anymore. I'm thinking I should try to just sell it for what I can and upgrade to a new heli. probably a 450L or the blade 360 cfx. What do you guys think, and what would be a fair price for my SE V2?
hermanmango is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sell it and go for a new 360 heli.
Gaui X3, Forza 450, Warp 360, Chase 360 ore Gobling 380.
The last one is weary popular and run 30 series motor and will have parts around for a while.
It have allso gotten a new 3 blade head upgrade.
Exo 500
Mr.Andersen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanmango View Post
My first 450 was an exi clone of the 450 SE V2. I got it cheap and learned a lot from it. I've slowly been replacing the EXI parts with genuine align stuff and it's more align now than EXI. The problem is I'm still a novice heli pilot and when I do have a crash it is nearly impossible to find parts for that heli anymore. I'm thinking I should try to just sell it for what I can and upgrade to a new heli. probably a 450L or the blade 360 cfx. What do you guys think, and what would be a fair price for my SE V2?
I'd probably go for the 450L due to parts availability and longevity of the design. Same for the goblin - better performance but also a bit more expensive.
jgiannakas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 03:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The problem with Align is they change the design more often then some change their underwear, but yes they are easy to find parts for at least a few generations back.
Exo 500
Old 08-12-2015, 04:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, I think I'm going to get a 450L clone and then do the same thing I did with my SE V2 and replace the important parts with align stuff as I go. Does anyone have any experience with the Assault 450L (Hobbyking clone)?
Old 08-12-2015, 05:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Depending on your flying style and experience level, you may want to swap some of your electronics over to your new bird. Alot of the better 3s motors can swing 360 blades quite well. Even my SK3 3600kv keeps up with 360mm blades, 68mm tail blades, I spin them from 2400rpm on up to 3200rpm which is a bit of overkill.

Motor, esc, lipos, tail servo, cyclic servos (might want to change for performance), and maybe reciever should be interchangeable.
Depending on your radio setup and choice of fbl controller you may want to ditch the reciever and use a satellite instead.
Point is using your old electronics leaves money for a better fbl controller, or a nicer air frame kit.
The Ikon/Brain fbl allows use of analog cyclic servos, and with self level (pitch control can be added with radio) typically pays for itself, as well as cuts down on rebuilds.

You might also get a 360mm heli or airframe here from the classifieds and save a bundle.
I am partial to the Protos line of helis, hearing only the motor and the blades is an experience all of its own, and also let's you hear tuning or mechanical issues that may otherwise be overlooked.
The're plenty of good options in the 450/480 class all with strong suites and a purpose. It comes down to what you want. Strong and light, tough as nails, silky smooth, inexpensive parts, unique look, etc.

If you go to 6s you will have to come up with new motor, esc?, lipos, etc. which could nearly double the cost of getting going.
If i was considering 6s, I would want the flexibility to first get an airframe and run my current electronics, then later upgrade, servos, motor, esc, lipos. If cost isn't a concern 6s can provide more power with less heat and less amps. It's more effective to run a 6s setup, with common 30c lipos and a 1600-1800.kv motor, than it is to run a hot 3s 4400kv motor and 3s high C lipos.
6s can run 3200-3400 headspeed and give a decent flighttime, where the same speed on 3s, is going to have reduced flight time.
Protos Carbon Stretch, MSH Scorpion, YGE, Ikon
deebee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 06:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thats a good point, I'll look into some used airframes here. For now I was just going to use my 325mm blades and directly swap over. I have a savox tail servo and a pretty powerful leopard 3500Kv motor, I have a talon 35 for my esc. My cyclic servos are the ones it came with, just cheap exi ones, but I've never had an issue with them, I don't fly 3D I'm happy doing a few loops, roll, and inverted hovers. I currently have my ESC programmed to give me 3100, 3000, and 2900 head-speeds in my flight modes and it has been plenty responsive, so having to lower my head speed some wouldn't be a problem. for my FBL I think i'm going to get a AR7200Bx, they can be had for around 100 dollars and I feel that is the single most important component on the Heli. For now my most important factor is parts availability so it looks like the 450L clone would be great, but cost is also important as well as crash resistance because I'm still learning new stuff and crash fairly regularly.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Parts availability?
http://gogo-rc.com/store/index.php?r...ory&path=20_61
salrica is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2015, 02:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanmango View Post
Thanks for the input, I think I'm going to get a 450L clone and then do the same thing I did with my SE V2 and replace the important parts with align stuff as I go. Does anyone have any experience with the Assault 450L (Hobbyking clone)?
How often do you crash? Almost every session or once every month or two? It might be worth getting the 450L from Align if you don't crash too often, as the build quality is very good and you won't fight the kit alongside fighting to keep it in the air You can probably find the 3S 450L kit on sale, as align is pushing the 6S model, so it might come close to the price of the clone.

Also agree with deebee - if your electronics are good, i.e. fast, strong digital servos for the swash and a good tail servo then it might make sense to try to get frame only. For the 450L 3S don't go for higher than 3200-3400KV as the smallest pinion I have found available is 10T and with 3400KV that would be 3100-3400 RPM at the head. U don't want any more than that as a novice!

I was in the same boat as you - old Flybarred heli and decided to upgrade. Did not re-use any of the electronics as the servos where not up for it (slow analogue with plastic gears), the ESC was too small for the 450L (35A) and the motor underpowered. So decided to stash it away and get a new kit and transferred over my receiver, charger and some of the batteries that were still up for it.
jgiannakas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2015, 10:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

The gogo website is in HongKong and only sells clone parts. both of those are deal breakers. Waiting a month for a part is too long, that is the main problem here. I don't mind some clone parts, but I'd rather have critical components be genuine align parts. for now I'll probably buy a clone frame, get a beastx, and swap my electronics over, then as time goes on upgrade my ESC and servos.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Why not instead try something new and fresh? something not Align.
There is so many nice heli kits out there just waiting to be explored.
Exo 500

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in