Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 10:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Question Tail Vibration

Well, I'm just curious, I have a belt drive trex 450 w/ the silver head. I'm pretty sure I'm getting vibration from the rear when she spools up. If you're hold it while spooling (I know, safety), you can feel the tail doing a high speed vibration. If you look closely, it is vibrating quickly. Could my bearings be done? Maybe 1 too many crashes? (The bird is all good now except that mild, high frequency vibration.) The blades are not bad, nothing is too loose/ too tight, etc.
Any known problems w/ the tail? I removed that silly tentioner pulley. Does that reduce vibrations or something?
Or do i need bearing, shaft, maybe the hub the blade grips screw in to?
Thanks all!
Boomkidd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 10:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

1.) Bearings
2.) Tail Rotor Housing Bent
3.) Tail Shaft Bent
4.) Loose Rotor Grips
5.) Offbalance Blades
6.) Belt Drive Pulley Bearings
7.) Belt Tension
8.) Main Bearings
9.) Etc... It's a one by one troubleshoot. HAVE FUN!
bigdawg86 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 11:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

is the vibration up and down or side to side?
Trex600E 8S 1910H/1Y HV85 5625MG Gy611 S9256 AR7000
Aussie_phoenix is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2010, 07:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Everything is adjusted/ configured properly back there.
I didn't know you can balance tail rotor blades (I don't think that is actually possible.) However, I changed the slightly beat up carbons w/ fairly new ones. I even weighed them to see if they're the same- which they are. The belt is a new, yellow one. Everything in the rear is tight and properly configured (except the belt tentioner pulley, which is removed.) I am putting it back on.
I took the main blades off to spin it about half stick and you can feel it in the entire bird but mostly from the tail (as you slide a finger down the boom towards the tail.) When it's vibrating slightly like that, if you look at the tail, you can see it vibrating if you look closely.
It doesn't fly abnormally (no bobbing or anything.) I just don't want to have a tail failure it the air due to something I can fix now. I think the belt drive shaft which drives the tail is slightly bent but I can't tell by looking at it. It has a very tiny bit of play when you try to wiggle it up/ down. It also moves in and out slightly @ the drive pulley in the tail...are there supposed to be shims back there?...it seems when I put pressure from my fingernail on the outside tip of the spinning shaft (esentially taking that movement away), the vibration subsides. Am I being picky and this is how these tails are? The bearings don't feel 'gritty' when I spin them while holding them. Are those bearings possibly shot? It's also what I suspect. Any precision bearings shouldn't have any play once they're installed. (But, the rear has very slight play.) I'm thinking of simply filing down the 3 spacer bars in the back about 1-2mm's to tighten the gap a little...is this a wise move?
Well, I'm broke until Friday as far as heli funds go so, I just hope it doesn't have failure due to something like a bearing or 2.

Last edited by Boomkidd; 06-22-2010 at 09:00 AM..
Boomkidd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default main sh aft

take the main shaft out and see if its straight that was my problem
FurryTrex is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 10:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Loosen the tail boom - let the tension off the belt.
Spin her up - but not full speed.
Does vibe go away?

You could also have some sort of resonance effect.
A small vibe at the head and a small vibe at the tail
at the same time. So loosening the belt helps to isolate
which end, if not a little on both ends.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you have play in the tailrotor output shaft, that'd be my first suspect. That thing is hauling rpm when in flight, and any play (read looseness) would be hi freq vibration. I would pull the tailcase apart and put a 1/2 drop of thick ca on the bearing support surface and put back together. Or a paper shim, something reversible to find if the bearing looseness is really the culprit. You should not have in and out play, if you can temp stop that, It would be beneficial. Pull the t/r drive belt and spin the mainshaft, see if the drive gear is really wobbling......that would load and unload the belt in use, also bad. Are the fins vibrating at hover?
wrstew is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in