Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry227 View Post
For tracking I use the method that the Vbar setup software recommends. At exactly midstick/0* pitch fold the blades out to the side of the heli and see if the tips are even. If not adjust links until they are. I've never had to make any adjustments in the field after I started doing it that way. Tracking is always spot on.
Note: On larger helis it can be hard on the servos so some people lay the heli on it's side so they just hang down.
This will only work if the swash is perfectly level, however. So you still may need to tweak it a turn in flight.

It is very obvious if the tracking is out, you see two blades its no good, just one its fine... so lasers are not needed.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #42 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by npomeroy View Post
A tethered heli at hover power-pitch will load the blades.
True, but the blades will be in ground effect and all the recirculating air is not the same as the heli in the air, up out of ground effect. The surface the helicopter is over when strapped down will have an effect as well...

No helicopters were harmed in the creation of this post.
AMA CD # 7309, Turbine Waiver# RW 890
Click Here For Bergen Intrepid Turbine Build Videos
Skiddz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddz View Post
True, but the blades will be in ground effect and all the recirculating air is not the same as the heli in the air, up out of ground effect. The surface the helicopter is over when strapped down will have an effect as well...
Yeah, OK. But if you consider all the flight loads a heli has to operate under, hover thrust in ground effect is a fair approximation. No-one ever suggested you needed separate blade tracking for hover, hard collective pumps, banked turns, etc.
npomeroy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #44 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

I must be missing something here, what is the problem with HOVERING your heli to check ?
Old 11-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicD View Post
I must be missing something here, what is the problem with HOVERING your heli to check ?
I mentioned earlier, that at least for me when I was a newbie, I was not able to hover the the heli still enough to see properly. And done at a safe distance I don't see a problem of doing it at ground level (NOT on a BENCH).
And I'm thinking about the newbie, who may not be competent at the pitch measurements who wants confirmation the blades are tracking OK.
npomeroy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by npomeroy View Post
I mentioned earlier, that at least for me when I was a newbie, I was not able to hover the the heli still enough to see properly. And done at a safe distance I don't see a problem of doing it at ground level (NOT on a BENCH).
And I'm thinking about the newbie, who may not be competent at the pitch measurements who wants confirmation the blades are tracking OK.
Yep for a newbie, safest to do with a touch of -ve pitch (1deg is fine) on the ground as long as you stay well back. Dont spin up anything bigger than a 250 (even that is pretty scary IMO) indoors with blades on, too risky.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #47 (permalink)

My HF Map location

If you setup the head and rod lengths even eyeing them, why not just fly the heli to do the maybe one half or max 3 turns to dial it in. Strapping down a heli is not a good idea IMHO. Running a heli with the mains off is something I have never needed to do either. Ask the boat guys if doing more than idle is good for the drive train when no load is on it. There is no reason to do anything but setup correctly then test fly a machine to set the tracking. Sheesh.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:53 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will be setting up a 600 FBL system for the first time and i will VERY concerned with that first flight. I there any way to test it first, iwas hoping to bench test it . Just thinking out loud here, guess I can run the electronics w blades off .
mrultralite is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrultralite View Post
guess I can run the electronics w blades off .
Do that, make sure the swash does what it should (will tell you if there are excessive vibrations). The maiden it like you would any FB heli, if you have checked the setup (instructions will be with for FBL unit) then it wont do anything mental.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:23 PM   #50 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrultralite View Post
I will be setting up a 600 FBL system for the first time and i will VERY concerned with that first flight. I there any way to test it first, iwas hoping to bench test it . Just thinking out loud here, guess I can run the electronics w blades off .
I guess you missed the post right before yours?

If you set it up correctly, the maiden hover or flight should be a non-event. Do not treat it as a FB heli though. You do not want to give any cyclic input while the heli is spooled up but sitting on the ground, at least not until you're familiar with the FBL system and proficient with things.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

''If you set it up correctly'' , that might be a big ''if'' , but i get your point shouldn't be that bad.
mrultralite is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #52 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

I'd rather spool up an improperly setup heli at the field then in my house strapped down
Old 12-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #53 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicD View Post
I'd rather spool up an improperly setup heli at the field then in my house strapped down
Exactly. We can argue for pages, but I'll always come back to spooling up a tethered heli is a recipe for disaster.

Rick
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

It was a pretty stupid newbie question of me to ask, but Youtube is littered with videos of people spooling up their helis on a work bench or kitchen table. Now I know and thank you!!!!!
Old 12-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #55 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92vancouver View Post
It was a pretty stupid newbie question of me to ask, but Youtube is littered with videos of people spooling up their heli's on a work bench or kitchen table. Now I know and thank you!!!!!
No, it was a great question. You probably saved a few of our buddies from some pain!

Many things are intuitive, I don't think this one is.

Rick
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPhill View Post
But a person normally checks tracking when hovering the heli at the flying field
Good luck on this tracking issue
You're assuming that he can hover
TexasC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you can't hover it doesn't matter. The point is that tracking doesn't make your heli crash. If it's way off, then you'll see it when it's spinning up. If it's not, then you can take it off and fly; if you can't hover yet, you'll still probably see it's off in the few seconds before impact, but then it won't matter now that you're taking it apart again . And if you can hover it, then you can see how it's doing.

I'll echo the others, though, in pointing out that if one has a reasonably good heli and is diligent in setting it up on the bench, then it won't need much adjustment if any-- so coming at it all different directions doesn't really make any progress. It just isn't necessary to tie the heli to anything for this. So why do it?
osterizer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Powering RX with battery while esc is plugged in

I want to power my rx directly with a 6V battery through a spare channel on the RX while the ESC is plugged in without a battery connected to the ESC. When I do this the motor will slightly twitch as I move the throttle.

I have built the 450 Pro V2 (flybar edition) Super Combo and use all the parts it came with. I hope to be able to continue doing this without damaging the ESC or anything else. All my connection are inside the frame and not accessible, and I would prefer to leave it that way.

Any thoughts on the electronics getting fried with this setup? I would never have both batteries plugged in at the same time. I just want to be able to tweak my pitch curves and check things out without the blades accidentally flying about my face.
ForHim is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForHim View Post
I want to power my rx directly with a 6V battery through a spare channel on the RX while the ESC is plugged in without a battery connected to the ESC. When I do this the motor will slightly twitch as I move the throttle.

I have built the 450 Pro V2 (flybar edition) Super Combo and use all the parts it came with. I hope to be able to continue doing this without damaging the ESC or anything else. All my connection are inside the frame and not accessible, and I would prefer to leave it that way.

Any thoughts on the electronics getting fried with this setup? I would never have both batteries plugged in at the same time. I just want to be able to tweak my pitch curves and check things out without the blades accidentally flying about my face.
you will be fine, mine twitches too without flight pack connected. if your really that worried about it unplug your esc connector on the throttle channel or your three motor wires, then set up pitch curves...
Old 03-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did my setup with TH on. If TH is off, then I assume I'm flying lol
DX8 G2, Qx7s
MLFLY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in