Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X

mCP X Blade Micro CPx Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2015, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gear mesh

The gear mesh on my mcpx feels a little tight. Is it adjustable? Can I move the motor up?
Quad350qx3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2015, 12:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad350qx3 View Post
The gear mesh on my mcpx feels a little tight. Is it adjustable? Can I move the motor up?
Are you sure it's the mesh...the stock brushed motor is very notchy
JonJet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2015, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Jon..... It is the motor. I just bought a new motor because I thought it was on its way out cause it felt notchy. The new motor feels the same and I even put on a new main gear.
Quad350qx3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2015, 09:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

These motors are notchy (magnetic cogging).

The mounting geometry has no gear mesh adjustment built in. But you can loosen the mounting screws and press the motor shaft away from the gear (gently) while tightening them back up. Or, take the motor out, turn it 180deg and put it back in. Neither of these are a guaranteed fix. But they may loosen up the mesh.

Garry
SplashN'Crash is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2015, 10:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don’t know if there is a gap to move the motor side to side….. the motor is tightly press fit to frame. I usually add tap of silicon oil to ease gear rotation and prolong the life of gear. But it gets dirt quickly though…..
Old 07-07-2015, 11:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad350qx3 View Post
Thanks Jon..... It is the motor. I just bought a new motor because I thought it was on its way out cause it felt notchy. The new motor feels the same and I even put on a new main gear.
If you want, slip a piece of paper between pinion and main gear...then loosen/tighten the motor screws a few times...might open up the holes slightly and give some play

Normally, it's not needed...however, Xtreme makes a one-way main shaft that is super-smooth once you get it right
Old 08-19-2015, 12:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have had the mcpx since it first came out (with the iffy pre "B" head grips which HH replaced). Currently I have two Mk1 flying. Have been around at least 20 more, setting them up for others.

There are two potential problems that can overlap here.

One is the cogging on the brushed motor, which is very high. This can be reduced a little by bearing lubrication but the brush end bearing is not easy to lubricate without getting the brush gear contaminated.

Two is the gear mesh, which varies quite markedly from model to model, but is often significantly over tight. The problems in adjusting pitch clearance is that there IS no inherent adjustment, the motor sits in a deep moulded shaped recess in the frame.

Altering the pitch by the motor fixing screws MIGHT work IF your frame happens to provide clearance, but most do not! The frames do vary quite a bit.

One of mine was so bad on mesh that as it was spooled up the main motor would not start easily, the tail motor would whine away with no main rotor rotation, and when it did start, the torque was so high by then that it often threw the thing over. I took the motor screws right out and it didn't help, I forced it back and clamped it up, to no better effect!

You can see the issue (or not if you are lucky) with a Mag Lamp, as the motor and main gear are bottoming teeth before they go over to the next.

What I did with the first iffy frame was to remove everything from the frame, then dremel the frame motor recess to allow more clearance. Not the easiest of tasks Later ones I didn't remove everything but used a running vacuum hose to keep the dremeled shavings away from the still fitted servos, etc, which has worked for several others.

Bear in mind that this over tight drive issue affects battery life, motor temp (so life), throttle reaction, etc, etc.

Get it right and the Heli is transformed.
bravedan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2015, 10:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Same issue here I guess. I picked up a used mcpx several months ago and never touched it till this week - bound it to my dx6i, charged the battery and tried some bench testing.

It's so tight it's crazy - if I spoil it up then cut throttle, the blades stop NOW - no free running at all. Can that possibly be right?
rctoyguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 01:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctoyguy View Post
Same issue here I guess. I picked up a used mcpx several months ago and never touched it till this week - bound it to my dx6i, charged the battery and tried some bench testing.

It's so tight it's crazy - if I spoil it up then cut throttle, the blades stop NOW - no free running at all. Can that possibly be right?
The mCPX motor does feel very stiff...and stops very quickly
Old 12-29-2015, 08:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

So...no easy fixes for these notchy motors? What about the old water break-in? Or is there an after-market brand of motor that's better?
My Axe 100 CP is so smooth and quiet and it will continue to spin for a long time after landing.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think it's because the motor has a strong magnetic field; being a cored motor, windings are on iron cores, which interact with the magnets even if motor off.
danb1974 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in