Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters > 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters

450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2014, 01:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Switched to newer Align tail grip and hub setup now wagging.

I recently got a set of the Align new version of tail grips and tail hub to upgrade from the stock blue ones with the black hub and 2 radial bearings. Well as you know the new ones have a thrust bearing in each grip and the hub is longer than the stock one also but I have a wag that I can't tune out completely unless I set gain too low causing TBO. I am also using the 68mm blades instead of the 62mm stock ones. Is there anyway to stop the wag with my 450DFC Plus and 3gxmr gyro/rec? I don't like the blue alum and wanted to try thrust bearing setup. Can I use the silver grips with 2 radial and stock hub? Any advice or help would be appreciated greatly! Thanks!
savannahmick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nevermind I know you guys are sick of my stupid noob questions so I just put the stock setup back on. I know the smaller 3gxmr isn't the best gyro and I guess it doesn't like the extra weight and larger diameter of the newer 450l tail setup. I tried adjustments in head gyro gain and tail gyro gain but tail moves around during normal flight and if I lower tail gyro to get rid of wiggle/wag I have TBO. I think I will try and trade for a set of 325 blades.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tired of noob questions????? Not a chance on Helifreak.

There is a couple things to look at.

Is the tail perfectly smooth mechanically?

Try the shorter tail blades on the thrust bearing grips. I hear the longer tail blades cause a higher mechanical gain.

Is your tail servo ball around 7.5 mm from the center of the screw to the servo? By lessening the distance on the servo horn you lower your mechanical gain so you can run a higher gyro gain.

I have not tried to interchange the tail hubs. I looked at HD's site and it appears the shorter hub is for the pro-sport and the longer hub is for the new tail assembly and is much longer. I don't believe you can interchange them. They appear to be completely different and are different part numbers.

Give us some feedback on the questions I asked and we'll help you get it figured out.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd27858 View Post
Tired of noob questions????? Not a chance on Helifreak.

There is a couple things to look at.

Is the tail perfectly smooth mechanically?

Try the shorter tail blades on the thrust bearing grips. I hear the longer tail blades cause a higher mechanical gain.

Is your tail servo ball around 7.5 mm from the center of the screw to the servo? By lessening the distance on the servo horn you lower your mechanical gain so you can run a higher gyro gain.

I have not tried to interchange the tail hubs. I looked at HD's site and it appears the shorter hub is for the pro-sport and the longer hub is for the new tail assembly and is much longer. I don't believe you can interchange them. They appear to be completely different and are different part numbers.

Give us some feedback on the questions I asked and we'll help you get it figured out.
Hey thanks for the help! I didn't get rid of the new grips or hub instead I stopped being whiny and tried to adjust the wag/wiggle out but couldn't quite get it completely gone. I decided to rebuild the tail bearing setup to double check it and found that one grip had 2 washers stuck together and should have one only between thrust and reg bearing. I then raised the head gyro gain and lowered the tail gain which after removing the extra washer it is almost perfect all around and I got a set of rjx mains and the full alum swash now it's smoother than ever with a super tiny wiggle at low head speed! Oh yeah with the 68mm blades it actually flies better than the stock 61mm ones .Thanks again! Mick
Old 07-27-2014, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Savannah, which new tail grip is that?

Next project:
MSH Mini Protos, 450 Scale Airwolf, BAH Mini Quad
cpmboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 10:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad to hear you figured it out!!
Old 07-27-2014, 10:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmboy View Post
Hey Savannah, which new tail grip is that?
It was the Dominater 450L tail grips they're silver , have thrust bearing+ larger radial bearings, and bigger than the pro/sport ones. I am happy with them now since I got gyro tuned for the extra weight and overall diameter. I am also using the 68mm blades also tail holds great and only a very tiny wiggle at real low headspeed rpm. I did get the first REALLY bad dirtnap today after 6 months of flying and pretty much destroyed the heli practicing idle up basic rolls / flips. Sucks cause I just put a couple bucks in my setup with alum upgrades and tail parts. I lost orientation for a second and a tree limb took out the tail that was it and when it hit the ground I am a rookie so it took me a min to remember to hit the idle up switch. I have 3 stripped servos and no tail or boom left and swash and arms are.done with I want be flying for awhile cash is low! @!$=#&!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess so....I had that on my 450 pro dfc once and paired it with KBDD tail blades (61mm) and it wagged (I tried changing the gyro gain -+ but to no avail). So I had it changed (I still keep it) back to stock.

Next project:
MSH Mini Protos, 450 Scale Airwolf, BAH Mini Quad
cpmboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2014, 06:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannahmick View Post
It was the Dominater 450L tail grips they're silver , have thrust bearing+ larger radial bearings, and bigger than the pro/sport ones. I am happy with them now since I got gyro tuned for the extra weight and overall diameter. I am also using the 68mm blades also tail holds great and only a very tiny wiggle at real low headspeed rpm. I did get the first REALLY bad dirtnap today after 6 months of flying and pretty much destroyed the heli practicing idle up basic rolls / flips. Sucks cause I just put a couple bucks in my setup with alum upgrades and tail parts. I lost orientation for a second and a tree limb took out the tail that was it and when it hit the ground I am a rookie so it took me a min to remember to hit the idle up switch. I have 3 stripped servos and no tail or boom left and swash and arms are.done with I want be flying for awhile cash is low! @!$=#&!

I feel for ya man, that's rough, I think we all, at some point, have just got a heli flying just right, get a bit carried away with how well it's flying, loose concentration for a second, and oh bugger!! It's in the dirt.

As a matter of fact, I crunched my T-rex 150 pretty hard while flying indoors earlier today. Needs new blades, All 3 servos need new gears, feathering shaft, maybe main shaft too. The tail boom is banana shaped LOL, but it will straighten out at least.

The joys!!
Old 08-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah thanks for the encouragement and I will not let the crash stop me from learning more but it couldn't have happened at a worse time! I am so broke right now since my roommate dipped on me so my bills have doubled! I will not be able to fix it for weeks and I just got comfortable flying in idle up and it is a whole new world of flying with the positive and negative pitch at a high rpm. Arrggghhh! I stripped my 3 ds416m servo gears but it is the final large gears that the horn spindles are on and I can rotate the plastic piece that limits travel around to where the notch and bad teeth are lined up so maybe that will work. Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in