Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Henseleit

Henseleit Henseleit Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #121 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi what the price for the bell conversion?

Is possible buy One with shipping in italy?
maui80 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #122 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't mean to rain on anyones parade but this belt mod looks like a recipe for disaster imho. The belt pulley ratios are way too high (72/16 = 4.5:1). By comparison, the SAB Goblin is 60/22 = 2.7:1

The main problem with high pulley ratios is that the contact area on the small pulley becomes too small (not too many teeth of the belt actually on it). This is going to require pretty high belt tension which will result in pretty poor belt life, poor eff/power, and high motor temps. The fact that this mod uses a wider belt, compared to the Goblin may help a little bit.

For your sake I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Cheers,
TomC
Now also a FPV addict; Quads and Planes (soon to try heli's!)

Last edited by TomC; 03-26-2012 at 03:27 PM..
TomC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #123 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is no problem to run down to 13T pinion because there is belt tensioner. I`m flying it with 14T pinion for one year and no problem at all.
osat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #124 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by osat View Post
There is no problem to run down to 13T pinion because there is belt tensioner. I`m flying it with 14T pinion for one year and no problem at all.
So, you have been running this belt mod for one year now with a 14t motor pulley and 72t secondary pulley (~5:1 ratio) with no problems?

Cheers,
TomC
Old 03-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #125 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
So, you have been running this belt mod for one year now with a 14t motor pulley and 72t secondary pulley (~5:1 ratio) with no problems?

Cheers,
TomC
See https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...7&postcount=44 and following

There is an idler pulley to make the belt wrap farther around the motor pulley, so shouldn't be an issue with contact there. The Protos uses a similar setup and gets around 6:1 (IIRC) without issue.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 01:21 AM   #126 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
See https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...7&postcount=44 and following

There is an idler pulley to make the belt wrap farther around the motor pulley, so shouldn't be an issue with contact there. The Protos uses a similar setup and gets around 6:1 (IIRC) without issue.
Thanks desertstalker. To be honest I did not see this idler, lol! Should help quite a bit. Still going to need quite a bit of belt tension and hence belt and bearing wear may be an issue in the long run imho.

I have looked at and flown a local guys Protos 500 and as much as I don't like belts, I had to agree that it seemed to work fine. Not sure how the Protos 500 design (~1.5kw power) is going to translate to much larger 8-10kw power heli's though? Guess we'll find out with the Protos 700!

Thanks again and cheers,
TomC
Old 03-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #127 (permalink)
Registered Users

Frankly I think the Protos design starts to lose its appeal in a larger heli.

I really like it for a beater heli as it is very easy to repair and pretty bulletproof, but it doesn't have long flight times.

In a larger heli I think efficiency is more of an issue.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Users

I could not believe how it does not spin easily (protos), the 700 main gear can used as a serving platter
helicraze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #129 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicraze View Post
I could not believe how it does not spin easily (protos), the 700 main gear can used as a serving platter
I was just getting excited about bringing my TDR in after 5 minutes of flight at 48% throttle and having 72% left in the batteries!!!! Looks like I can fly at this setting for 10 minutes and not be in danger. Very Cool!!!! It responds very well at this speed but it not hyperactive. It's actually very relaxing and confidence building to fly at this speed. I think I'll hang around at this speed for a month or two before bumping it up to 60% throttle.

My Protos 500 is spent at about 4.5 minutes and typically comes back at about 3.8V, but it's running a pretty hot head speed.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:40 AM   #130 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Ya, I'd hate to have to auto one in!

BTW, how free-wheeling is Craig's TDR (with this belt mod) compared to stock? Also, compared to your now broken-in Goblin? Thanks.

Cheers,
TomC
Old 03-28-2012, 05:01 AM   #131 (permalink)
Registered Users

The TDR with belt free wheels fine as far as i know. The goblin not very well, due to belt and brass bush surrounding one way
Old 03-28-2012, 05:42 AM   #132 (permalink)
Registered Users

None of these belt drives are going to free-wheel as well as a properly meshed geared system imho. Same goes with a belt vs a TT tail.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:29 AM   #133 (permalink)
Registered Users

A first stage belt drive has no effect on drag in an auto, the 2nd stage that spins in an auto is a pinion and gear one both tdr and goblin.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:30 AM   #134 (permalink)
HSC
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well boys, I have belt drive hear and it works pretty fine for 30 starts (just read out j_log files), but I do not have particulary strong motor (rewinded MX 700 ), only 8kw in spikes.
There is plenty of mashing hear thanx to bigg diameter tensioner, soo no problems at all with jumpowers !
I have now tension set too 80 N and it works prety fine ( data sheet for belts say 150N, but I thing is a bit too much).
The true is wee have tested several diferent producers of belts, some are good (dinadrive and contitech) some not soo ( 3M ).
Soo up to date works for mee just fine.......
Old 03-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #135 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
A first stage belt drive has no effect on drag in an auto, the 2nd stage that spins in an auto is a pinion and gear one both tdr and goblin.
Your right mate. I was still thinking about the Protos, lol! Just the belt-driven tail like on the Goblin (or Diablo) is going to adversely effect the auto, esp. if the belt tension is a little high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSC View Post
Well boys, I have belt drive hear and it works pretty fine for 30 starts (just read out j_log files), but I do not have particulary strong motor (rewinded MX 700 ), only 8kw in spikes.
There is plenty of mashing hear thanx to bigg diameter tensioner, soo no problems at all with jumpowers !
I have now tension set too 80 N and it works prety fine ( data sheet for belts say 150N, but I thing is a bit too much).
The true is wee have tested several diferent producers of belts, some are good (dinadrive and contitech) some not soo ( 3M ).
Soo up to date works for mee just fine.......
Good to hear it's going well and you are experimenting with diff belts. Your large idler (tensioner) is a good idea, as is your wide belt, but it still will require a fair amount of belt tension which is going to adversely effect overall eff's and belt life. If you could do a few logs before/after you might see this diff. I'd still expect motor temps to be a bit higher as well. Please let us know how the next 30 flights go. Thanks.

Cheers,
TomC
Old 04-06-2012, 05:22 AM   #136 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Can someone help me with calculating the HS

Ok so my name came up on the list to buy one .. Now based on my calculations using the ready heli HS calculations and the info provided to me the main gear is a 72t and the pinion option is (14,15,16) Given this calculation with the stock pyro 700-52 setup using a 12s 45c battery, the lowest hs on a 14t to be 3764.. Can soeone explain to me what I am missing or actually calculate for me the best pinion option to obtain HS of 1450 - 2150. This will be governed by a helijive 120.

Thanks,
John

RIP Roman Pirozek Jr. 1/11/94 - 9/5/2013
johnjonfenomenon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 05:34 AM   #137 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjonfenomenon View Post
Ok so my name came up on the list to buy one .. Now based on my calculations using the ready heli HS calculations and the info provided to me the main gear is a 72t and the pinion option is (14,15,16) Given this calculation with the stock pyro 700-52 setup using a 12s 45c battery, the lowest hs on a 14t to be 3764.. Can soeone explain to me what I am missing or actually calculate for me the best pinion option to obtain HS of 1450 - 2150. This will be governed by a helijive 120.

Thanks,
John
Two stage power drive.
Please refer to the post below for correct info.

Last edited by AcidDrink; 04-06-2012 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: gave wrong info
AcidDrink is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 05:58 AM   #138 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidDrink View Post
Two stage power drive.
Put main gear size 160.65 and all will start to make sense.
Thanks Thats the number I was looking for.

RIP Roman Pirozek Jr. 1/11/94 - 9/5/2013
johnjonfenomenon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #139 (permalink)
Registered Users

That will only help with the stock gear not with the 72t belt, formula for belt (and gear)
72(belt teeth) divided by pulley t count (16 tpulley =14tgear) x 2,55 will give you the correct ratio. For the pyro you want 16t.
Stolla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #140 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolla View Post
That will only help with the stock gear not with the 72t belt, formula for belt (and gear)
72(belt teeth) divided by pulley t count (16 tpulley =14tgear) x 2,55 will give you the correct ratio. For the pyro you want 16t.
That's correct. Sorry, I shouldn't reply to posts when I am half asleep.
AcidDrink is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in