Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2015, 04:01 AM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

Wow! Why have I been putting off doing this mod?!? I did it today, and the difference is night and day

It's only after the doing the mod that I realize how truly horrible my gimbal was / had become. I kind of knew that it was bad: on the monitor screen of my DX8, I could not get the pitch/throttle output to change continuously. That is, it would jump from 0% to 3% to 5% or similar no matter how carefully I tried moving the stick. And I thought there might be something wrong with the Phoenix sim, because I could only hover at a few specific heights - I simply could not get it to "balance" at arbitrary heights But this is all fixed now and the stick is buttery smooth!
I am actually convinced that this will improve my flying in general - it certainly improved my flying on the sim today, so I can't wait for the weather to improve so I can try it IRL.

I used this tape from Amazon:

I simply wrapped it once around the friction strip allowing it to overlap slightly off to the side so it adheres to itself:

Thanks so much for describing this mod! And to anyone putting off doing this: don't wait.
RCHN Ctzn #191, eXo 500, T-Rex 450L Dominator, Warp 360, Blade 130X, Blade Nano CPX + various toy models
tsoebirk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2015, 04:15 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did it today on my DX9 using Teflon tape used for pipe threads/plumbers. It's like going from rubbing your knuckles on a burlap bag to silk. Noticed a huge difference in my transition smoothness in flight.
Handling the tape takes a little getting used to and made about 3 attempts before getting it but still only took me 30 minutes. Roll of teflon tape is about $1 at Home Depot or Lowes and I ended up using/wasting about 8-10inches. Now I only have 50yards left

Simply no comparison

FlatCrank
FlatCrank is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2015, 04:38 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

^^^^ using that delicate Teflon tape, how did you secure it to the metal friction strap? Did you just wrap it, or did you use fuel tubing like the mod shows?
Old 05-18-2015, 06:29 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Skidpad,
I used heat shrink on each end. The tape is stringy and likes to stick to itself so it took me 3-4 attempts to figure out the handling. I flew with the new stick for at least 2 1/2 hours this weekend with no issues. Still feels great.
It's actually so smooth that I have to really watch my movements if I'm walking/flying to/from a new LZ.

FlatCrank
FlatCrank is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2015, 03:55 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey, I am one of those who had suffered for years the constant stickiness of the throttle/pitch stick. I tried all types of oils, different tensiones and whatever I could imagine but after several hours the stick felt horrible again. After the Lipo, and gimball bearings mods of my old trusty DX7se, this is the third best mod for this radio!

I got some plumbing white tape, a couple of heat shrings one each end of the metal spring and its true, smooth as butter!!! Thanks for the great idea guys
Mateyhv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2015, 11:55 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been putting up with the sticky throttle/collective problem on my DX8 for at least 2 years now. When I couldn't smoothly land my new Heli with the throttle engaged I decided to give the teflon a go. I went with adhesive backed teflon tape and it's smooth as glass now. Great mod!
1Way is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2015, 12:46 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

I purchased a large nonstick pressing sheet, ~$9, from Joann Fabrics for this mod. If you'd like a piece please send a s.a.s.e. - pm for address.
Phil D Basket is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2015, 10:03 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

How hard is it to take the rubber grips off? Im worried about messing them up and/or breaking something trying to get them off.

(I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.)
alyon187 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2015, 10:30 AM   #69 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyon187 View Post
How hard is it to take the rubber grips off? Im worried about messing them up and/or breaking something trying to get them off.
Which transmitter? My DX9 and Graupner MZ-24 grips were pretty easy to get off and reattach.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2015, 02:52 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

My bad, ive got a dx8...

(I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.)
Old 07-28-2015, 04:09 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyon187 View Post
My bad, ive got a dx8...
It's super easy. After doing it you will laugh of your doubts )))))))
Old 08-14-2015, 01:35 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finally did this mod after my collective became more sticky. Made a huge difference! I used the plumbers tape (PTFE=teflon). I had some at home, but it was the cheaper kind that was too fragile. Bought the most expensive one that Home Depot had for around $2 - it's a bit stronger.

After this mod my collective management seems to have improved significantly highly recommended.
mba83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2015, 12:10 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

I too just got done doing this mod to my DX8. Though I ran into an issue where my cyclic stick started to act up after putting the controller back together causing me to almost crash. But I got it back apart and figured out (kinda) what the issue was. So I did a single flight out in the street and the throttle feels much better. I used the Teflon tape as well, the PTFE, then used a small amount of shrink tube to secure it. I used 3 small strips which made it a lil stiff but I like it, that and after a lil wear im sure itll loosen up. So thank you to whoever made it up, its made my throttle smoother than it was when I first got it.

(I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.)
Old 12-11-2015, 01:07 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used sticky back UHMW. Works great and much easier to install.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#1441t52/=1071ghy
Old 12-11-2015, 01:50 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yah I thought the teflon tape had a sticky stuff on the back but It was just a strip of teflon. I didnt wanna have to wait for it to get here so I just got some stuff from my lhs.

(I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.)
Old 12-11-2015, 05:53 PM   #76 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

I applied the Teflon tape mod. Works a charm. Glad I found this thread as I used it on my 14SG which was in dire need!

Just a mention, I tried it on both of the opposing contact surfaces to maximize the benefit and it became worse than not having the Teflon at all. Ended up with it applied to the plastic. Didn't try it on the metal side only.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:56 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use PTFE tape. Only $5 shipped with Amazon Prime for a 5 yard roll. Unlike the $0.50 white plumbing Teflon tape you get at the hardware store that is designed to fill the gap between the threads and prevent leaks, this PTFE tape is specifically designed to have a low friction surface for smooth gliding. The other side of the tape is adhesive, so it will stick to the surface.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00

I cut a thin strip with the X-Acto knife

I tape the thin strip on the smooth half-moon part of the mechanism.
Amain Team Pilot
jhamel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2015, 02:45 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

I believe what I got was the PFTE tape. It worked great, though the day after I did it I found and bought a dx9. : )

(I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.)
Old 12-12-2015, 08:10 PM   #79 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Nice pics curmudgeon. Exactly what I did. Also bought a DX9 and it didn't need it!
Old 12-15-2015, 12:10 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Woah, well I do waste a lot of time extended research on HF, but only came across this mod just now. Like others I had to adjust way less tension on the collective than I liked or just live with the stiction on the collective. Not any more! DX8 now finally smooth, thanks a bunch!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in