Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics

Futaba Radios and Electronics Futaba Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2015, 06:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default UniSens-E telemetry not working with Futaba 14g

Hi, wondering if anyone has any tips for troubleshooting / getting this working. I' new to Futaba so learning the programming slowly and having trouble getting this telemetry device working:
UniSens-E
[IMG]javascript:popupWindow('http://www.sm-modellbau.de/shop/popup_image.php?pID=137&imgID=0')[/IMG]
I've programmed the device using the supplied software for my motor and gearing to get RPM, and set the telemetry mode to Futaba S.BUS2. A little difficult with everything in the software in German but Google translate is your friend. On the live display tab in the software the device seems to be working well with accurate RPM and I see the mAh counting up as expected.
I have registered the sensor through the plug on the back of the transmitter and it seems to be recognised correctly.
From there I have configured the slots for the various readings from the UniSens-E through the sensor menu item on the transmitter.
I then configured the telemetry display screen for these values.
I have the sensor plugged into the S.BUS2 connector on the receiver and the transmitter set to FASTTest-14ch.
I can't seem to get any readings from the UniSens-E to display however - they are zeroed and don't update. Only the receiver voltage for the sensor built into the Futaba receiver (R7008SB) shows a live value.
The english translation of the UniSens-E manual states that it should start reading values as soon as the current threshold is exceeded and the red LED on the device should change from constant on to flashing. I notice that when I start the motor for my heli the LED stays solid and does not flash, so it seems the current flow is not triggering it to start reading. This makes me think the problem is likely with the device configuration and not my config of the transmitter. Note that it does start reading correctly from the PC software when that is connected and I start the heli motor.
So does anyone have experience with this device and some advice on how I might get it going?
krypto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2015, 07:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Unhappy

Some more info on my problem getting this sensor to work with my Futaba 14SG:

ok, found I can get the device to start timed measurements by placing my finger on the outrunner motor to get it to draw a bit more current. Seems running the heli on my bench without blades doesn't draw enough current to trigger the device to start measuring. A tiny bit of pressure on the motor or belt and the LED on the UniSens-e starts flashing like it is supposed to.

Also noticed a check box in the config software for "fixed serial number"
(in German). A google search on the German turned up some release notes for the device firmware that indicated checking this box is for Futaba (among others) to set a constant device serial of "12345".

I tried setting this serial in my transmitter against each of the three sensors that show up but still no luck with this. Tried relinking the receiver, "reloading" the telemetry devices etc.

I also noticed that there is an actual serial number (for the unisens-e I assume - and not the software) that shows up in the header in the configuration software. I tried this serial number also in the transmitter, both with the fixed serial number id checked and unchecked in the unisens-e software, but again no luck. I'm struggling with the German language as google translate is far from perfect for this type of content.

Pretty much run out of ideas to try now and beginning to wonder if this device really is compatible with the 14SG. I am running version 5 of the Futaba firmware and 1.11 of the UniSens-e firmware. This device looks so promising, it will be a big disappointment if it doesn't work :-(

.... and a correction for the image I tried to insert in first post:
Old 07-01-2015, 06:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thumbs up SOLVED

Problem solved - thanks for the PM's sjsamuel and HilliHeli!
Issue was with how I was registering the sensors - need to use the "register" function multiple times rather than the "reload" function in the sensor menu.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in