Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > MSH Brain FBL Unit

MSH Brain FBL Unit MSH Brain Support Forum

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2017, 09:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Ikon PC Software want to upgrade, hangs downloading

Pardon me if this is common knowledge somewhere and I havnt perused all the threads to find this exact answer.

I havnt fired up the ikon software on my pc for awhile, just did a fresh pc windows 10 install, downloaded the ikon software from the ikon site (http://www.ikonflybarless.com/download) and it immediately wants to upgrade to a new version.

It then hangs at Downloading 1%. I have tried uninstalling, rebooting etc...
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2017, 09:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Uninstall Ikon software and try downloading the Brain software instead.

http://update.mshbrain.com/Software/BRAINSTALLER.msi
Old 02-20-2017, 09:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply, i tried that as well and it also hangs on the download.

Basically it starts to download, only gets a little way(as shown in attachment) then stops eventually giving a network error.

Update: I finally got the pc software to connect to my ikon unit by disconnecting my ethernet connection temporarily while running ikon software. Major Hassle but it works at least.

Seems silly that it FORCES you to upgrade and then fails while upgrading.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	braindownload.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	695278  
Old 02-21-2017, 12:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds more like a computer issue. All windows updates installed since clean install of W10?
Old 02-21-2017, 04:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

It doesn't look like a fail in updating, more a fail in downloading. When you download the update it is just like any other file.

Please check antivirus and maybe, if possible, another pc.

Corrado
Old 02-21-2017, 02:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFreq View Post
It doesn't look like a fail in updating, more a fail in downloading. When you download the update it is just like any other file.

Please check antivirus and maybe, if possible, another pc.

Corrado
Nope, not a computer issue. Same behavior on 3 other PCs.

No antivirus, no new windows updates available

I spent all day downloading software (about 20 software packages) and all installed perfectly without a hitch except for ikon SW forced upgrade.

Tried this morning and it worked instantly so that blows away the theory that its an issue on my end.

You really need to rethink the issue of FORCING an upgrade to new PC SW(firmware as well). Better to just tell the user each time they start PC software (like 99% of other software I use)
Old 02-21-2017, 02:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

If your PC is not connected to the Internet when you open the MSH Setp app, it will not try to update the firmware.
If you open the MSH Setup app and get the popup telling you there is a newer version, you can kill the app (using taskmgr.exe), disconnect the PC from the Internet, and restart the app.

I think you can also set your Windows firewall to block access to 'mshbrain.com' and that will stop it forever on that PC.

Your problem is definitely the download but not related to MSH.
The failure to download occurred on both mshbrain.com and ikonflybarless.com
If I had to guess, the anti-virus on your three PC is blocking *.msi files (Microsoft Installer file).
Or, your ISP is limiting the GB downloaded or has decided to "Protect You" from certain sites (like ikonflybarless.com and mshbrain.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linklemming View Post
Nope, not a computer issue. Same behavior on 3 other PCs.

No antivirus, no new windows updates available

I spent all day downloading software (about 20 software packages) and all installed perfectly without a hitch except for ikon SW forced upgrade.

Tried this morning and it worked instantly so that blows away the theory that its an issue on my end.

You really need to rethink the issue of FORCING an upgrade to new PC SW(firmware as well). Better to just tell the user each time they start PC software (like 99% of other software I use)
Old 02-21-2017, 03:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post
If your PC is not connected to the Internet when you open the MSH Setp app, it will not try to update the firmware.
If you open the MSH Setup app and get the popup telling you there is a newer version, you can kill the app (using taskmgr.exe), disconnect the PC from the Internet, and restart the app.

I think you can also set your Windows firewall to block access to 'mshbrain.com' and that will stop it forever on that PC.

Your problem is definitely the download but not related to MSH.
The failure to download occurred on both mshbrain.com and ikonflybarless.com
If I had to guess, the anti-virus on your three PC is blocking *.msi files (Microsoft Installer file).
Or, your ISP is limiting the GB downloaded or has decided to "Protect You" from certain sites (like ikonflybarless.com and mshbrain.com)
I am aware what needs to be done to cancel the MSH hung download. I became quite familiar with that process yesterday. I am not computer illiterate.

Interesting that I downloaded about 15 other msi packages yesterday without issue. I downloaded other software without issue AFTER trying the ikon upgrade. I also stream all videos watched thru internet without issue (no cable tv).

An yet the download worked this morning without issue and nothing changed. No updates installed since machine was turned off last night.

Still an issue on my end? Should I verify on other 3 PCs?

I was hoping this post would cause someone at MSH to have a gander at the server, perhaps it was having an issue. Its the common thing from my perspective.

Last edited by linklemming; 02-21-2017 at 06:28 PM..
linklemming is offline        Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in