Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Glow

MA Glow Miniature Aircraft Glow Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Fury Extreme engine replacement??

Just bought a Fury Extreme with the OS .91 SZ, pumped engine. Rear bearing is rusted, needs replaced, all else looks ok, it ran last year Im told.... I could put in a new bearing and try it, or should I just buy a new engine?? How old are the SZs, hard to tune? ect. Will the new .91s and .105 from OS fit this model?? I am flying two 1001s now, getting tired of looking for obsolete engine parts Would like to go new if the engine I have now is going to be a pain. Thanks, Dan.
flyin dan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a 91 SZ in one of my Stratus's and it hauls ass. Bearings are easy to replace as you can just go to a bearing house. Not sure about other parts.

New 91s will fit and I'm pretty sure the 105 will fit as well.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sounds good, It wont be a problem replacing a bearing, good to know the newer stuff will work also. Do you have the pumped version of the SZ?? I have read that the pump on these sometimes will fail and burn a hole in the piston?!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've had this motor now for over a year and have put 3-4 gallons through it and haven't had any issues. I got it second hand from the MA team pilot here in Australia who had countless flights on it before that and didn't have any issues. Put it this way, you can get some new bearings here for $24 and run it, and if you don''t like it, or something fails eventually, you can buy a new motor and you would have only spent $24 on the old motor.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

A new bearing it is! This heli will be my fall and winter project, tear completely down and rebuild, just to make sure. I might throw a few more questions at you about this machine in the future, Thanks! Dan.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

No problem, Dan. I'd start with bearings. Main shaft especially but check the bearings in the head, as well. The thrusts are usually the first to go. Check the tail pitch slider and tail shaft bearings too. Check the main and tail shafts for rust and replace them if they're too bad, other wise you can usually smooth them down with some 800-1200 emry paper. It would also be worth replacing all the ball linkages, the plastic can wear out and break over time

If you're interested, flybarless conversions on these machines are very easy, especially if you've got the metal Tempest blade grips already.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will tear this down in a couple of months, dont want to waste flying weather! Still flying two OLD 1001s, but new servos, gyros, 8fg, ect... I was thinking of taking the 9252s from one of those for the fury. Think that is enough servo for that machine? Only about 20 flights on them since new. Like to try flybarless, but I have two GY 520s, so will go that route for now. Oh, this fury has the plastic grips, what is the max headspeed for those? Im finding about 1700 / 1800 on the old X-cells, seems fast to me. I dont wish to exceed it, just bought the Bantom Heli tach from Rons. Very good to have since I dont use a gov. Cheers, Dan.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 9252s will make it a very smooth heli but I wouldn't push them much past sport flying. The Extreme flies awesome on 1850-1950 on the head. I've just rebuilt one of my Stratus's with a Blue VBar, BLS451s, Outrage BL9188 and a YS91SR, running HV. I'll govern it at 2050-2100. It should really get going

If you decide you want to go flybarless, you'll need some Tempest blade grips, the fbl pitch arms, the fbl spindle, a Mikado 10mm swash driver and some new head shims. I get at least an extra minute of flight time FBL and it is a rocket.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the advice! Cheers, Dan.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Getting things back together now, the engine is rebuilt and installed. New bearings, ring, and con-rod. I found that this engine has the HZ piston and crankshaft, from what I've read it makes the SZ smoother running. All the bearings, thrust and otherwise look fine in the head. New main shaft bearings installed. Servos installed, Align Ds615s. New links all around, really tight though, have to get a link sizer! Getting ready to take the tail apart and see whats needed. Expecting 6" of snow tomorrow..... And I'm selling a snowmobile, Want one?
Old 04-21-2014, 08:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

How many tanks of fuel before the ring fully sets on the OS 91?
I have 3 tanks of 15% through it this weekend , still waiting for the compression to get higher.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in