Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2015, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default FatShark HD2 Goggles very blurry!

Guys,

I just purchased the FatShark HD2 goggles and I am extremely disappointed. The image is very blurry to the point that the goggles are in my opinion, unusable! For instance, I am using an OSD and its nearly impossible to see both the speed and altitude ladders at the same time. If I move the goggles around, I can clearly see pieces of the image but not the entire picture. I have played with the adjustments on the bottom of the googles for hours but I can only see about 1/3 of the screen clearly.

To verify that the goggles were in fact the issue, I connected the HDMI input to my computer and easily reproduced the problem. Even though my vision is 20/20 (uncorrected) I decided to install the -2 diopter lenses which provided a very slight improvement but the image quality is still totally unacceptable. There's absolutely no way that anyone could successfully control an aircraft with such a blurry picture, do I have a bad set of googles or are they all this bad?
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2016, 04:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

can you get a couple of other people to have a try? Failing that you could always try to measure your IPD with a ruler and a mirror - it's just the distance between your pupils.

http://doc-ok.org/?p=898

It may just be that your IPD is outside of the acceptable range for the googles, have you used fatsharks in the past? Which ones?

If you physically slide the goggles from side to side a bit while on your face, is the whole screen able to be seen in focus, just not all at once? what about if your push them closer to your face, or pull them out slightly?

If however they don't work well for anyone else, then there is probably something more fishy going on.

The HD2 actually has a pretty big IPD range of 59-69mm so I'm not sure that there are any goggles they make which have a larger range than that. The attitude v2's may be more forgiving as they probably have a larger entry angle despite the same spec IPD due to the smaller field of view.

edit - just to be sure it's definitely the HD2 you got sent and not the HD right? The HD had a much less forgiving lens set up and didn't work well for people outside it's more limited range.
Align T-Rex 600 EFL Pro, SK720/600MX/YGE-90HV/BL9180/BL9188
zeeflyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2016, 07:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just had another thought - what foam did you use around the eye piece?

Using the thicker stuff I found it quite hard to get a satisfactory picture. I had to use the thinner foam and the difference was quite stark...
Align T-Rex 600 EFL Pro, SK720/600MX/YGE-90HV/BL9180/BL9188
zeeflyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016, 03:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
BD Forum Support

I've got the same experience with blurry image. I was very shocked and almost returned them.
Just remove all the foam and start applying some much thinner foam only where it's necessary. It works for me very well and I love them since then.
popokatepetl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2016, 06:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is one of the main reasons they are now discontinued. I know what you mean if it was a cheap set we could understand but top dollar pair of goggle it's heartbreaking. The dom 3 worked much better for me they are 16:9 but much further away from my eyes.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dom V3 HD will fix this problem but it is a sin that it ever existed in the first place on a $500 pair of goggles to begin with.

JohnCC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in